M1 0w-20, 5200 mi, 2012 Prius C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did the 10k mile oil change. Changed at 1500 and 5000 miles. No UOA on the 5k mile change.

Absolutely zero oil consumption for this 5k mile interval. Oil came out in a color other than pitch black.

Assuming approx 20% electric, this is a 4100mi oil change. Numbers normalizing, if not already normal. I'm tickled that it doesn't show the higher iron generally associated with M1 oils. I haven't been looking, is this a new trend for M1?

Code:

Alum - 4

Chrome - 0

Iron - 6

Copper - 2

Lead - 0

Tin - 0

Moly - 73

Nickel - 0

Manganese- 0

Silver - 0

Titanium - 0

Potassium - 4

Boron - 53

Sliicon - 17

Calcium 1152

Magnesium 695

Phos - 618

Zinc - 712

Barium - 0

Visc @ 210F - 49.7 (46-58)

Visc @ 100C 7.17 (6.0-9.4)

Flashpoint 380 (>385)

Fuel - Trace (
Antifreeze - 0 (0.0)

Water - 0 (
Insolubles - 0.3 (pre>

No TBN was done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would switch to another oil before it's to late!!
01.gif
A friend has a 2003 Prius with 200 K and he uses M1 5-30. Even though he has had several problems with the car the engine is fine. I would run the OCI out to 10K if the warranty is cool with that.

Last edited:
Engine is small displacement, if it was a small truck V8 equivalent Fe would be around 20ppm and Al: 16ppm. Breakin is still shearing the fluid moderately.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Engine is small displacement, if it was a small truck V8 equivalent Fe would be around 20ppm and Al: 16ppm. Breakin is still shearing the fluid moderately.

35.gif

Last edited:
So the first oil change was done @ 1,500 miles followed by another @ 5k and now the third @ 10,200?

I waited till 10k for my first oil change in my C and this is how it looked right before dumping it. I didn't do a UOA.

10KOil_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Artem
So the first oil change was done @ 1,500 miles followed by another @ 5k and now the third @ 10,200?

That's what I was wondering as well. 3 OCI by 10K?
confused2.gif

Ha! Thats what the oil color looks like in my Prius too no matter the mileage. The ICE is VERY gentle on the oil.
11.gif

The timing of your thread is perfect because yesterday I bought M1 AFE 0w-20 for my Prius. Im planning on running the first OCI of it out to 10k miles and subsequent AFE 0w-20 OCI's out to 15k miles.

Your very nice UOA gives me reassurance!

Last edited:
That is correct. I've been following that interval for new vehicles for 20 years or better. Engines have never been what caused me trouble. 1.5K-5k-10k. I may stick to 5k but I'll probably go longer. I try not to agonize over it.

Oil is cheap, it lets me learn the car, and it enables me to see if all is correct inside the engines. Plus, I simply enjoy doing it.

The color being something other than black is only to say there was still oil color to it. It didn't come out pitch black like most of my other oil changes at 5k miles.

My dipstick looked about the same as yours, OldWolf. Then it looked darker coming out. Then it looked darker still sitting in the dump pan. The C is very easy on the oil, for sure.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
That is correct. I've been following that interval for new vehicles for 20 years or better. Engines have never been what caused me trouble.

Oil is cheap, it lets me learn the car, and it enables me to see if all is correct inside the engines.

Nothing wrong with your strategy for a new vehicle. Some people think its a complete waste, others think its beneficial. I'm from the beneficial camp. Opinions vary, so be prepared for the possibility of taking some heat.

Everyone has their own bugaboo's. I have been married three times, have two daughters, and a headstrong son...I'm essentially flameproof by now.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
Everyone has their own bugaboo's. I have been married three times, have two daughters, and a headstrong son...I'm essentially flameproof by now.

LOL Good you might just need it!

issue is not with Mr I, but with the Chriz dude- Prius ICE is NOT easy on oil----every heard of fuel dilution? That is the reason even dealers use 5-30 on the older Prius'

Fuel dilution would depend on your drive profile. I include highway time on mine just for this reason, and had only a trace. You see a analysis with more than that from "normal" cars.

If you drive in teh city a lot, it may be an issue. Perhaps. But maybe not. I don't think you can make it a blanket statement.

I have done a number of UOAs on the wife's car ('99 Prius hatch) with no fuel dilution issues. She hardly ever goes out on the highway. But, I use a 30w oil because that's what is called for. I haven't done the switch to a 20w as have many others.

Originally Posted By: steve20
issue is not with Mr I, but with the Chriz dude- Prius ICE is NOT easy on oil----every heard of fuel dilution? That is the reason even dealers use 5-30 on the older Prius'

Thanks, you are right Steve, the Prius ICE, specifically the "iconic" prius (2004-2009) would often times show up with moderate fuel dilution on the UOA's, probably not as much as some of the DI engines out today though, but still enough to raise a brow. Easily because of the stop/start cycle and probably the fact that its an Atkinson style engine. Each individual Prius owners driving style seemed to influence the fuel dilution.

What I was referring to was the color on the dipstick at 5000 miles that oldwolf posted. In every vehicle Ive had in the past, the oil would be a lot darker on the dipstick at that mileage. Of course, I know and we all know here, that color is no true indication of oil quality, but I was just making an observation.

Last edited:
Hey Chriz--I put a lot of value on the color of the oil--many folks do not. I still use drop of oil on the back of the business card once in a while--didn't mean to ruffle any feathers there

Originally Posted By: buster
Yes, the SN shows very low Fe and wear overall.

I recently tried the SM version of M1 0W40 and did not see an iron spike in my UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back