M1 0-40, 8.6k kms (5.4k miles) Mitsubishi 4G69S4N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
this is the second UOA from my Mitsubishi Sirius 4G69S4N 4 cyl MPI SOHC-MIVEC engine for which the following "life to date" operating data is relevant

Distance - 10207 kms (6000 miles)
Fuel used - 11.6 litres per 100km
Use - Approx 90% Hiway/10% Urban-Parked up

This operating period included nearly three tropical winter months (half of period) when the engine was not started at all and a high speed (140km/h - 85mph) trip of 1700kms (1000 miles) over three days in average temperatures of around 38C (100F). Airconditioning has been on about 60% of "engine on" time

DATA FOR THIS UOA (last UOA @ 4500kms (2.8k miles) shown in brackets)

Lubricant - M1 0W-40 (SM/CF)
Filter - OEM
Oil use in distance - 8600 kms (5.4k miles)
Oil use in hours - 90 (approx)
Oil use in time - 6 months
Oil topup - Nil
Oil temp at sampling - 61C (143F)

OIL CONDITION ANALYSIS

Viscosity @ 100C - cSt - 12 (12.2)
Oxidation Abs/cm - 9 (3)
Coolant indicator - 0 (0)
Soot (Wt%) - 0.13 (0.11)
TBN mgKOH/g - 6.3 (8.9)
Water %v - 0 (0)

ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS (in ppm)

Wear elements:
Aluminium - 10 (11)
Chromium - 0 (0)
Copper - 3 (1)
Iron - 8 (5)
Molybdenum - 53 (57)
Lead - 0 (1)

Contaminant elements:
Boron - 124 (170)
Potasium - 1 (0)
Sodium - 8 (7)
Silicon - 24 (21)

The lubricant (M1 0W-40 SM/CF) was judged as being suitable for continued use and remains in the engine. This sample was taken at the engine Manufacturer's programmed OCI @ 10kkms (6k miles).

The oil was NOT changed and the next OC will be reassessed as per the results of the next UOA which will be made in another 5-10kkms (3-6k miles) and around 6 months

NOTE
The Oil Analysis was done by ExxonMobil's Signum Lab in the US

Now that's a nicely presented UOA
grin.gif

Thanks Doug!

Doug,
Good to hear from you. Is this engine sold in the US and if so what oil does it require here?

Hi,
tig1 - Thanks! The Mitsubishi Sirius engine family has a long history. The versions have ranged from carbs to DI and from SOHC to DOHC. They have been raced and rallied and used as work horse engines. I dare say they are in NA in one form or another

The 4G69S4N (made in Japan) has about a decade long history and is offered in vehicles with WW application. From the TX4 London Taxi and others in Europe to Africa, Russia and Scandinavia - and of course here in OZ. In delivery vans, cars and 4WD, AWD vehicles

Correct lubricants make a difference of course as many of the lubricants sold where these engines live are sub-standard. Using up market lubricants can bring such engines to a very long life

This is a message I took away from the Engine Design Engineers meeting I had at Kubota in Japan about 1983. They did not "recommend" any synthetics in their engines and had never seriously tried them - mostly because none were available where they were sold and used - in rice paddies, farms and etc in Asia and Africa.

I used Castrol "R" Syn 10W-60 in Kubota high speed light diesels used on Reefer vans with great success. This was closely followed by ThermoKing and Kubota for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back