M0507 Green or Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spotted two different Batches of GC at my local Autozone today. They both said Made in Germany on the back and the packaging looks exactly like my M04 Batches.

12Qts. of M050756ATW4410469 1814/1815
Couple of Qts. of M051226ATW48009 726

These are both Green then right (Made in Germany on the back)?

How do you distinguish the difference between the Green and Gold (By Batch Numbers)?

If you would have used the search, you would have found that nothing above M0501****** is green. It seems that most, if not all of the green stuff has been bought and you are now stuck with the gold, which may be just as good.

Medic, mon ami,

One is not "stuck" with The Gold; one is "blessed" with The Gold.
grin.gif

I'm still confused as to why the elves would switch to gold. I am really beginning to think that the German elves have called upon their Irish elf cousins to help with the high demand in North America, hence the GOLD color.

Éire go brách

-
 -

[ July 09, 2005, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: medic ]

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
I'm still confused as to why the elves would switch to gold. I am really beginning to think that the German elves have called upon their Irish elf cousins to help with the high demand in North America, hence the GOLD color.

Éire go brách

-
 -

medic,

Perfectly legitimate question...and I just happen to have the answer...while the Elves do enjoy the company of their distant cousins in Eire, they consider them a bit too frivolous and mischievous to trust with oil formulation (they LOVE to hear them tell stories, however as they are very creative). The color change is purely symbolic...a psychological initiative, if you will. The original GC was green in order to play upon us mortals' tendency to think "the grass is always greener..." Now that they have seen, esepcially from BITOG, that their "clients" now fully understand that what appeared to be "greener" truly is, they are trying to assure everyone that they have indeed struck "tribological gold." That they would let me tell the story indicates how much they trust us to be consistent in our selection...we musn't disappoint them.
wink.gif

quote:

If you would have used the search, you would have found that nothing above M0501****** is green. It seems that most, if not all of the green stuff has been bought and you are now stuck with the gold, which may be just as good.

This is ridiculous my wife wife said to my comment that that I need to read more from theoildrop
pat.gif
. Yesterday I made my first purchases of Made in Germany Castrol. In my local Walmart
canada.gif
I picked up 5 litres. Then later that afternoon I ducked out early from a baptism
sleeping.gif
and got 7 more litres from that town's Walmart. But looking at the bottles now I see they all start with M0502 and discovering this thread it appears I got the gold not the green...right? When will the great UOA come on this gold stuff? I cant sleep
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Screamin' V4:
They both said Made in Germany on the back and the packaging looks exactly like my M04 Batches.

These are both Green then right (Made in Germany on the back)?

How do you distinguish the difference between the Green and Gold (By Batch Numbers)?

Okay today I finally picked up 5 litres of true green GC...batch no. M0332... The picture below shows the true green (on the left). On the right is one of my 12 litres of M0502..
frown.gif
I acquired yesterday. As you can see the labels on front (as well as the back) are different for green vs. gold.

I could have picked up 10 litres of M04...but it had the same labels as the M05, so I assumed it is gold... right?

-

[ July 19, 2005, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
03 and 04 are green. 0501 is green as well. So far everything past that has been gold.

Oh so any 04 is green? There was 10 litres I passed up
mad.gif
thinking it was gold as it had the same labels as the gold GC.

And just to be sure the M0502 is gold right?

quote:

Originally posted by HALSTEADTW:
Use the search function guys, pretty much every question imaginable has been asked before! Or do like I did and start at the first post and read them all.

It just seemed odd that the packaging was the different for M03... and the same for M04... and M05...

So if it were you would you return the gold GC to Walmart knowing I could replace it with true green from Canadian Tire?

I would exchange it, or just keep it and go buy the green anyway. We know that the green stuff is great. We don't know about the gold yet. One person here who tried the gold said his engine wasn't as smooth or quite as it was with the green.

quote:

One person here who tried the gold said his engine wasn't as smooth or quite as it was with the green.

I think that was Brian Pavolic (sp?) who didn't like the "gold" GC in his 2005 1.8T Jetta.

Yet Christopher Jefferson seems to like the "gold" GC better in his 2000 VW Golf 4-door 1.8 Turbo:
quote:

Originally posted by Christopher Jefferson:
Ive put about 10miles on the oil ["gold" GC] and i will say that the engine IS way quieter both audibly and physically than it was with the green elixer.

From this thread:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=51;t=000376

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:
quote:

I'm still confused as to why the elves would switch to gold.

Not having yet opened a bottle of green, generally how long after being in the engine is its distinctive colour no longer present?

In regards to Medic's comment: I firmly believe that Castrol is targeting the German auto community in the US and so the oil is adjusted to meet the specs of that community. They have obviously changed the formula to meet the current state of those requirements and also changed the color to eliminate confusion between the two formulae. I also REALLY BELIEVE that those who return the Gold are making a big mistake. I think it will be a great oil. I would ask everyone to remember...depending how closely your engine parallels the requirements for which the oil was formulated could determine how well it works in that engine. Boxgrover, in regard to your question...my experience is that depending how light strikes the oil on your dipstick determines how Green it continues to look after you install it.

Good reply pscholte. Simply speaking, technology progresses. Therefore is it not reasonable to think that the newer gold formula would/should be superior to the true green?

But if this is true it will take the fun out of the DaVinci code like
wink.gif
search for the green elixir!

I realize that "seat-of-yur-pants" evaluations are usually frowned upon here @ BITOG, but I simply can't tell a difference in drivability between the green & gold in our VW 2.0. My 1st fill of green GC began back in March. We put a solid 7k on that oil and it "felt" smooth all the way through the OCI. Gold GC went into the car 2 weeks ago and we've already logged about 1k miles on it. Neither my Wife nor I can tell a difference.
On another note...our previous oil was Rotella Syn. 5W40. Although we were always happy with it, GC has made an great difference in overall smoothness of the engine when compared to Rotella.

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

03 and 04 are green. 0501 is green as well. So far everything past that has been gold.

Oh so any 04 is green? There was 10 litres I passed up
mad.gif
thinking it was gold as it had the same labels as the gold GC.

And just to be sure the M0502 is gold right?

Yes, the entire run of M03 and M04 was green. Partway through the M04 run, they changed the label design, but the oil is still the same green formula. M0501 is also still green, but beginning at M0502, it's now changed to the gold.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Yes, the entire run of M03 and M04 was green. Partway through the M04 run, they changed the label design, but the oil is still the same green formula. M0501 is also still green, but beginning at M0502, it's now changed to the gold.

Thanks for the confirmation. And so as I said I mistakenly left 10 litres of M04 at a Canadian Tire store.

Btw, does GC ever exist in a 4 litre jug...in N.Am. or in Europe?

quote:

I'm still confused as to why the elves would switch to gold.

Not having yet opened a bottle of green, generally how long after being in the engine is its disticntive colour no longer present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back