Lycoming IO360-C1C6, 47hr AeroShell 15w50, 100SMOH

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the first run of regular (non-break-in) oil on my IO360-C1C6. as the engine still only has 100 hrs on it, i am not real worried about the silicon (although my A&P is checking the induction system).

Code:

Oil Filter--------champion

OIL AeroShell 15w50

hr IN USE ------ 47

MI/HR-ON-UNIT----- 100

ALUMINUM---------- 9

CHROMIUM---------- 5

IRON-------------- 22

COPPER------------ 31

LEAD-------------- 4439

TIN--------------- 2

MOLYBDENUM-------- 1

NICKEL------------ 2

MANGANESE--------- 0

SILVER------------ 0

TITANIUM---------- 0

POTASSIUM--------- 1

BORON------------- 2

SILICON----------- 15

SODIUM------------ 2

CALCIUM----------- 3

MAGNESIUM--------- 6

PHOSPHORUS-------- 927

ZINC-------------- 7

BARIUM------------ 0

SUS-VIS@210F------ 90.6

cSt-VIS@100c------ 18.13

FLASHPOINT-IN-F--- 455

FUEL%-------------
ANTIFREEZE%-------

WATER%------------ 0.0

INSOLUBLES%------- 0.3

TBN---------------

Originally Posted By: Blackstone
Tin, nickel, and insolubles all settled down nicely for you, and if you could get copper and silicon to do the same, we could give your engine a clean bill of health. As it is, things don't really look bad at all.
Most of the excess copper is due to the use of Aeroshell 15W/50, and switching to a different type of oil
should take care of that. Silicon may be harmless as well if you use any DOW-4 around the oil filter gasket.
If not, check the air filter/induction system for any problems. Also check the oil filter for metal just to be on
the safe side on copper and resample in 45-50 hrs.

application is the HyperCheetah, a modified Grumman Cheetah, with the IO360 and a C/S prop. the first time around the rebuilt cylinders on this engine lost all the crosshatching in 150 hrs. this time around we have Lycoming new nitrided cylinders.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
yes, a sizable component of bearing material in these engines is silver, of which there is none in this sample...

Surely you are using 100LL?
Does 130 even exist anymore?

just as the "rest of the story", while doing the annual this month, my A&P found a defective cable clamp on the alternate air door actuator. net result was that the door was opening once the engine was started, bypassing the air filter. a second sample was pulled this time, which should also have high silicon, but the sample of the current oil should trend down.

blackstone called it in one...

Cheetah,

looks good man...[censored] any lycoming you have is essentially bulletproof. Keep her flying and keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back