Luxury Car Owners Switching to Pickup Trucks

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/03/lux...-pickups-as-ford-gm-dominate-market.html

Demand has been surging among regular buyers who are opting out of sedans and coupes and replacing their luxury vehicles with pickups and SUVs....

Officials with Detroit's Big Three suggest they are struggling to keep up with demand for their new pickups, especially the higher-priced offerings....

Drivers are increasingly shelling out $70,000 to $100,000 and more for tricked out pickups....

While trucks have traditionally been the sort of vehicles you'd expect to see on a farm or at a work site, demand has been surging among regular buyers who are opting out of sedans and coupes and replacing their family vehicles with pickups and SUVs. And some of the biggest demand is coming at the high-end of the truck spectrum, with luxury buyers favoring lavishly outfitted pickups like the Silverado High Country.

In fact, that $70,000 for a fully loaded Chevy truck might seem like chump change to fans of the Ford F-Series, long the nation's best-selling pickup line....Last year, the automaker added a new Super Duty Limited version that can nip $97,000 out of the factory, with aftermarket options sold by Ford dealers pushing it into six figures....And as Doug Scott, the long-time head of Ford truck marketing told CNBC before his recent retirement, "every time we add a new premium edition, buyers tell us they want more."

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/09...inue-to-steal-sales-from-premium-brands/

Bloomberg reported Tuesday that buyers are more often trading in their premium sedans and crossovers for luxury pickup trucks. At General Motors, the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado see trade-in rates of 15 and 9 percent, according to Edmunds data. At Ford, its 13 percent of F-150 buyers, and Ram sees 9 percent of buyers trading in cars from established premium makes. And we're talking BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi. At Ram, the division said it even gets some Cadillac owners stepping into luxury pickup trucks like high-end Ram 1500 models.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...for-2019-are-pickup-trucks/#18813b58799f

Big pickups mean big profits for automakers, especially the current crop of luxury-equipped haulers. Opulently equipped with hand-stitched leather interiors and an opulent assortment of comfort, convenience and safety features, upscale pickups start in the $50,000 range and can extend well beyond $60,000 and even $70,000 when fully loaded. Reports suggest that one out of every five pickup truck sold these days is of the luxury variety.

The sky is literally the limit here....the Ford F450 Super Duty pickup....starts at $88,000, approaches the $100,000 mark when fitted with all available options, and can easily reach beyond with a few added dealer accessories. That's Mercedes-Benz S-Class money.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/10/04/pickup-truck-prices-vehicles/1455588002/

...Mike Herron....decided to keep his garage to one vehicle: a pickup. (Herron, 65, lives in Durant, Oklahoma, about 50 miles north of Dallas. He owns four businesses and is a real estate investor who has driven BMW sports cars for the past decade). He sold his 2017 BMW X6 sports coupe in late August to buy a 2019 GMC Sierra Denali pickup for $70,000. "I wanted it because it's got a sweet-looking body and has every feature imaginable. It's luxurious on the inside and drives like a German luxury car," said Herron. "The technology on this truck does more than the BMW technology does." Herron said he believes he got a good price because the Denali trim level will hold its resale value better than his BMW did. Herron paid $84,000 for his BMW when he bought it new 23 months ago. He sold it for $44,000. Herron, whose son has dubbed the pickups the "new urban limousine," admits he would pay up to $100,000 for a pickup "if I thought it was worth it."

Edmunds' data shows, through September, the average transaction price for a full-size pickup is $48,377, a 48-percent boost from 10 years ago and a 19-percent hike from 2013 for the same period. For that price, a person could buy a Mercedes-Benz or BMW luxury sedan......"A 48-percent increase in price is the highest price increase for that time period out of all vehicle categories," said Ivan Drury, senior analyst at Edmunds. "Even at $45,000, it prices a lot of people out."

Most buyers expect to pay $26,699 for a new midsize pickup, Cox data show. But, the average transaction price through August 2018 is actually $33,275. Similarly, the expected price of a full-size pickup is $38,529, but the average transaction price for the year through August is $47,987.

Last month, the average transaction price for the Ford F-series was $46,591. The Chevrolet Silverado was $42,162 and the Ram came in at $42,484, according to J.D. Power's Power Information Network data. Those figures include 2018 and 2019 model-year pickups.

Taking a look at the median purchase price rather than the average purchase price, the numbers land a little differently, although still climb higher. The median purchase price for a pickup nine years ago was $31,000. It rose to $37,000 in 2013. Today, it is $43,000, said Alexander Edwards, president of consultancy Strategic Vision in San Diego.

Since the dawn of time, people have had "extra" money and struggled to find what to do with it. Similarly, luxury item makers have struggled to perceive the next trend. Thankfully, the two groups seem to have found something in common.

I have a 1995 "Eddie Bauer" F150 with the 150 hp inline-6, a stick shift, shag carpeting, power windows/locks, AC, cruise, 2wd, and snazzy green-over-brown two-tone paint. And that's about it! I don't have the brochure but wonder if there's an Eddie Bauer Supreme.
laugh.gif

This new trend has been going on for about 30 years. I've heard high-end pickups referred to as "cowboy Cadillacs" for literally decades. Then the Escalade pickup came out in '02?

People are getting tired of needing to CRAW or BACK-IN into their "full size" vehicles. I went from a sedan to a compact 5 passenger COV/SUV for that reason. I can get into my vehicle and retain some dignity..Not sure if I'd very make to transition to a Pickup. I don't need to haul alot of stuff, nor do I want to be a gentleman farmer type. Ed

When I bought my pretty much fully loaded ‘11 FX4 I took my old football buddy's 74 year old dad out for a ride. He marveled at how quiet pickups had become, the comfortable ride and, between sat radio and the nav, he was totally blown away. Ecoboost engines were new at the time and I gave him a light demonstration of it could do acceleration wise.
Finally he asked me how much the truck cost. $42k our the door. He pondered that for a moment or so then asked me "why would anyone buy a Lincoln?"

And I think from about 2010 on all the pickups started on a path that began emphasizing luxury to go along with utility. The utility never got compromised either; trucks tow and carry more now than ever. Add that many trucks are equipped with the whole suite of safety features and you wind up with luxury cars that are in trouble.

I've never been in my truck driving in bad weather and wished I was in my old 330ci. Those articles are correct: trucks just might be destined to eliminate the luxury car.

Not surprising really. Not even "Luxo" trim, our '19 RAM Sport rides incredibly well and is very well appointed throughout. It's quieter and smoother than my Jeep, which, in 2016, was the top-trim level available for the GC. My father is blown away by how nice these new trucks are and I fully expect that once he's done with his Expedition, that he'll be consolidating from that and his Town Car into a new truck, probably in Laramie trim.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

Drivers are increasingly shelling out $70,000 to $100,000 and more for tricked out pickups....

I doubt that they are buying, at that level they lease so a $100K is only costing them $50K or so depending on te length of the lease.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/03/lux...-pickups-as-ford-gm-dominate-market.html

Demand has been surging among regular buyers who are opting out of sedans and coupes and replacing their luxury vehicles with pickups and SUVs....

Officials with Detroit's Big Three suggest they are struggling to keep up with demand for their new pickups, especially the higher-priced offerings....

While trucks have traditionally been the sort of vehicles you'd expect to see on a farm or at a work site, demand has been surging among regular buyers who are opting out of sedans and coupes and replacing their family vehicles with pickups and SUVs. And some of the biggest demand is coming at the high-end of the truck spectrum, with luxury buyers favoring lavishly outfitted pickups like the Silverado High Country.

In fact, that $70,000 for a fully loaded Chevy truck might seem like chump change to fans of the Ford F-Series, long the nation's best-selling pickup line....Last year, the automaker added a new Super Duty Limited version that can nip $97,000 out of the factory, with aftermarket options sold by Ford dealers pushing it into six figures....And as Doug Scott, the long-time head of Ford truck marketing told CNBC before his recent retirement, "every time we add a new premium edition, buyers tell us they want more."

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/09...inue-to-steal-sales-from-premium-brands/

Bloomberg reported Tuesday that buyers are more often trading in their premium sedans and crossovers for luxury pickup trucks. At General Motors, the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado see trade-in rates of 15 and 9 percent, according to Edmunds data. At Ford, its 13 percent of F-150 buyers, and Ram sees 9 percent of buyers trading in cars from established premium makes. And we're talking BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi. At Ram, the division said it even gets some Cadillac owners stepping into luxury pickup trucks like high-end Ram 1500 models.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...for-2019-are-pickup-trucks/#18813b58799f

Big pickups mean big profits for automakers, especially the current crop of luxury-equipped haulers. Opulently equipped with hand-stitched leather interiors and an opulent assortment of comfort, convenience and safety features, upscale pickups start in the $50,000 range and can extend well beyond $60,000 and even $70,000 when fully loaded. Reports suggest that one out of every five pickup truck sold these days is of the luxury variety.

The sky is literally the limit here....the Ford F450 Super Duty pickup....starts at $88,000, approaches the $100,000 mark when fitted with all available options, and can easily reach beyond with a few added dealer accessories. That's Mercedes-Benz S-Class money.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/10/04/pickup-truck-prices-vehicles/1455588002/

...Mike Herron....decided to keep his garage to one vehicle: a pickup. (Herron, 65, lives in Durant, Oklahoma, about 50 miles north of Dallas. He owns four businesses and is a real estate investor who has driven BMW sports cars for the past decade). He sold his 2017 BMW X6 sports coupe in late August to buy a 2019 GMC Sierra Denali pickup for $70,000. "I wanted it because it's got a sweet-looking body and has every feature imaginable. It's luxurious on the inside and drives like a German luxury car," said Herron. "The technology on this truck does more than the BMW technology does." Herron said he believes he got a good price because the Denali trim level will hold its resale value better than his BMW did. Herron paid $84,000 for his BMW when he bought it new 23 months ago. He sold it for $44,000. Herron, whose son has dubbed the pickups the "new urban limousine," admits he would pay up to $100,000 for a pickup "if I thought it was worth it."

Edmunds' data shows, through September, the average transaction price for a full-size pickup is $48,377, a 48-percent boost from 10 years ago and a 19-percent hike from 2013 for the same period. For that price, a person could buy a Mercedes-Benz or BMW luxury sedan......"A 48-percent increase in price is the highest price increase for that time period out of all vehicle categories," said Ivan Drury, senior analyst at Edmunds. "Even at $45,000, it prices a lot of people out."

Most buyers expect to pay $26,699 for a new midsize pickup, Cox data show. But, the average transaction price through August 2018 is actually $33,275. Similarly, the expected price of a full-size pickup is $38,529, but the average transaction price for the year through August is $47,987.

Last month, the average transaction price for the Ford F-series was $46,591. The Chevrolet Silverado was $42,162 and the Ram came in at $42,484, according to J.D. Power's Power Information Network data. Those figures include 2018 and 2019 model-year pickups.

Taking a look at the median purchase price rather than the average purchase price, the numbers land a little differently, although still climb higher. The median purchase price for a pickup nine years ago was $31,000. It rose to $37,000 in 2013. Today, it is $43,000, said Alexander Edwards, president of consultancy Strategic Vision in San Diego.

I now one thing, if Mike decides to keep up with some X5 in his Denali, he can only kill himself.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Not surprising really. Not even "Luxo" trim, our '19 RAM Sport rides incredibly well and is very well appointed throughout. It's quieter and smoother than my Jeep, which, in 2016, was the top-trim level available for the GC. My father is blown away by how nice these new trucks are and I fully expect that once he's done with his Expedition, that he'll be consolidating from that and his Town Car into a new truck, probably in Laramie trim.

These testimonies (Mike from OK) unfortunately confirm that people have no idea actually how vehicles truly drive and what they are made for. This proliferation of uber expensive pick ups that serve to take kids to daycare and get milk is amazing. I live in neighborhood where there is absolute proliferation of pick ups (partly bcs. there is invasion of people from TX, CA, etc. and they think all you need in snow is pick up. Then in winter they face with reality called: ditch), and my SIenna seem to see more dirt than most of those pick ups.
I get that RAM drives good, but the question is: why one needs that as primary/family vehicle, unless someone runs construction business, need solid towing capability etc? I mean I get that people like something, but this is becoming ridiculous. Heaviest thing most trucks in my neighborhood carry is child seat!

Last edited:
Its the John Wayne hero image thing. You wouldn't catch the Duke in a Camry. To an extent, the Big 2.5 created the image to sell loaded pickups because they are profitable.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by edyvw

These testimonies (Mike from OK) unfortunately confirm that people have no idea actually how vehicles truly drive and what they are made for. This proliferation of uber expensive pick ups that serve to take kids to daycare and get milk is amazing. I live in neighborhood where there is absolute proliferation of pick ups (partly bcs. there is invasion of people from TX, CA, etc. and they think all you need in snow is pick up. Then in winter they face with reality called: ditch), and my SIenna seem to see more dirt than most of those pick ups.
I get that RAM drives good, but the question is: why one needs that as primary/family vehicle, unless someone runs construction business, need solid towing capability etc? I mean I get that people like something, but this is becoming ridiculous. Heaviest thing most trucks in my neighborhood carry is child seat!

So what? If they like it and it's what they want, why are you worried about it?

I don't see what's wrong. Certain group of people seem to never be happy with what others choose to do. Maybe they should look at themselves instead.

What's the difference between a $100k Mercedes s500, etc. and a $100k pickup anyways? Both are a luxury and like any luxury are wasteful. But I don't remember any articles being written how evil these luxury sedans are. Now that the trend has shifted to pickups, the whipping boy of eco group, all of the sudden, this is bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by edyvw

So what? If they like it and it's what they want, why are you worried about it?

I am not worried, though it is irritating during snow storms to drive around them struggling to get home.
This is discussion. If someone wants to shell out $70,000 for a vehicle that gets 10mpg, does family stuff much worse than average minivan, and has dynamic properties of average lawn mower, it is their problem.

Back