Luxury Car Owners Switching to Pickup Trucks

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I don't see what's wrong. Certain group of people seem to never be happy with what others choose to do. Maybe they should look at themselves instead.

What's the difference between a $100k Mercedes s500, etc. and a $100k pickup anyways? Both are a luxury and like any luxury are wasteful. But I don't remember any articles being written how evil these luxury sedans are. Now that the trend has shifted to pickups, the whipping boy of eco group, all of the sudden, this is bad.

lol.gif

I'm a part of a few car pages on FB, mostly Mopar pages but there's a few others... been seeing more and more people complaining about filling up their SUV's and pickup's. I remember struggling to break 15mpg in my 2011 Durango. Even our van does at least 20.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I don't see what's wrong. Certain group of people seem to never be happy with what others choose to do. Maybe they should look at themselves instead.

What's the difference between a $100k Mercedes s500, etc. and a $100k pickup anyways? Both are a luxury and like any luxury are wasteful. But I don't remember any articles being written how evil these luxury sedans are. Now that the trend has shifted to pickups, the whipping boy of eco group, all of the sudden, this is bad.

lol.gif

Didn't you just compare pickups to minivans, some if which can easily go for $50k plus?

I don't think it's an image thing, at least it's not with me. I've never really cared what image I present.

There are a lot of practical things that a pickup adds. Easy to get in and out of, can carry just about anything you want, can see traffic ahead of you easier, etc. My half ton 4WD Silverado gets good mileage and will comfortably and safely travel just about anywhere at 9 MPH over the speed limit, which is usually the upper limit of what is permitted before getting ticketed in the areas I travel. My trucks are also practical to own, easy to maintain at a relatively low cost, and in the past depreciation was minimal when compared to a luxury car. Not so sure about now at today's prices. They certainly are profitable for Ford/GM/Chrysler.

In the old days when radar wasn't so widespread out West, and you could travel at speeds well in excess of the speed limit, performance cars were a must. Maybe it's because I've gotten old, but I don't need the challenge of minimizing time on the road anymore. Now that I obey the limits with some allowance, I prefer my truck for long trips over the 3 sedans/coupes in the family. It's comfortable, rides and handles well with little or no body roll, and will travel well over 400 miles before requiring fuel stops.

I wouldn't pay $70,000 for any truck but that is just me. As far as gas mileage, my fiancee has a 2017 F150 crewcab 4x4 with the 5.0 and she gets between 18-22 mpg which is decent.

This is nothing new at all. It just shows that those CNBC people need to get out of NY/NJ and see the real USA.

Would it be possible for the manufacturers of the all these big trucks to include a Parking for Dummies handbook?

I have a truck because that is what I like to drive. My truck isn't the fancy model either, its an SXT, one up from base model. I don't need/want all the fancy stuff that comes on the high end trim levels. It was expensive enough in my eyes, just over $41,000 Can with taxes. I do use it to haul stuff the odd time, but mostly it is my daily driver. Why? Because I want it to be. It also gets way better than 10mpg as well.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
I don't think it's an image thing, at least it's not with me. I've never really cared what image I present.

There are a lot of practical things that a pickup adds. Easy to get in and out of, can carry just about anything you want, can see traffic ahead of you easier, etc. My half ton 4WD Silverado gets good mileage and will comfortably and safely travel just about anywhere at 9 MPH over the speed limit, which is usually the upper limit of what is permitted before getting ticketed in the areas I travel. My trucks are also practical to own, easy to maintain at a relatively low cost, and in the past depreciation was minimal when compared to a luxury car. Not so sure about now at today's prices. They certainly are profitable for Ford/GM/Chrysler.

In the old days when radar wasn't so widespread out West, and you could travel at speeds well in excess of the speed limit, performance cars were a must. Maybe it's because I've gotten old, but I don't need the challenge of minimizing time on the road anymore. Now that I obey the limits with some allowance, I prefer my truck for long trips over the 3 sedans/coupes in the family. It's comfortable, rides and handles well with little or no body roll, and will travel well over 400 miles before requiring fuel stops.

I have posted this before. I just bought a loaded pickup. A 2018 LTZ Silverado Crew Cab 4WD. Yes -I tow a trailer on occasion. However-I still like driving a 2-1/2 ton vehicle and could care less what gas costs. It's not an "image thing". It's what I like to drive. Period!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3

So what? If they like it and it's what they want, why are you worried about it?

I am not worried, though it is irritating during snow storms to drive around them struggling to get home.
This is discussion. If someone wants to shell out $70,000 for a vehicle that gets 10mpg, does family stuff much worse than average minivan, and has dynamic properties of average lawn mower, it is their problem.

I don' t see " Their Problem"

They don't struggle in snow. Most of the drivers do have to learn that braking is no better , but the real 4wd works well in snow. Trucks in the ditches are common as some owners don't estimate braking well.

My avalanche gets 10mpg but only that low when towing my travel trailer, and its over 6k lbs. i also use the truck for kayaks, camping and non camping trips. I also use it to haul cut wood,. i stand in the bed and use the limb trimmer to cut limbs in my drive. People you see driving them may own boats, campers , or property elsewhere. But even if they don't , maybe they just like trucks, so what.

My only complaint about newer 1/2 ton trucks, is i can't get a crew cab truck minimally optioned, and especially with out carpet. To get a rubber floor you have to go 3/4 ton work trucks, and that might be 70k.

The last paragraph of the OP's post stated the median price of a full size truck is 47,900 not 70,000. Sure you can go spend that on a truck but thats not what the majority of the trucks on the road cost, according to the article.

So Edmunds has the MRSP of a honda odyssey as being 30k to 47k depending on options. Compared to the price of the truck not that much more. The truck hauls mulch , kayaks, and will tow 3 times what a minivan will.

Now look at resale, the truck will always have better resale than the minivan.

Again so whats it to you? You want a minivan, have had it. If i had lots of kids say more than 2, i'd probably have owned one, and a truck.

Last edited:
Again so whats it to you? You want a minivan, have had it. If i had lots of kids say more than 2, i'd probably have owned one, and a truck.

It's a classic example of thinking that they are smarter than the rest. Their choices are always the best, in their eyes, and they view others as stumbling idiots in need of guidance.

Hence they always "don't understand" other people's choices.

lol.gif

Didn't you just compare pickups to minivans, some if which can easily go for $50k plus?

Did you actually read what I said, or you want me to go step by step?

So what? If they like it and it's what they want, why are you worried about it?

I am not worried, though it is irritating during snow storms to drive around them struggling to get home.
This is discussion. If someone wants to shell out $70,000 for a vehicle that gets 10mpg, does family stuff much worse than average minivan, and has dynamic properties of average lawn mower, it is their problem.

I don' t see " Their Problem"

They don't struggle in snow. Most of the drivers do have to learn that braking is no better , but the real 4wd works well in snow. Trucks in the ditches are common as some owners don't estimate braking well.

My avalanche gets 10mpg but only that low when towing my travel trailer, and its over 6k lbs. i also use the truck for kayaks, camping and non camping trips. I also use it to haul cut wood,. i stand in the bed and use the limb trimmer to cut limbs in my drive. People you see driving them may own boats, campers , or property elsewhere. But even if they don't , maybe they just like trucks, so what.

My only complaint about newer 1/2 ton trucks, is i can't get a crew cab truck minimally optioned, and especially with out carpet. To get a rubber floor you have to go 3/4 ton work trucks, and that might be 70k.

The last paragraph of the OP's post stated the median price of a full size truck is 47,900 not 70,000. Sure you can go spend that on a truck but thats not what the majority of the trucks on the road cost, according to the article.

So Edmunds has the MRSP of a honda odyssey as being 30k to 47k depending on options. Compared to the price of the truck not that much more. The truck hauls mulch , kayaks, and will tow 3 times what a minivan will.

Now look at resale, the truck will always have better resale than the minivan.

No it does not work well. Besides the fact that as I said, average truck is dynamic as John Deere lawnmower is, which is terrible in snow, they are not good bcs 99.99% of truck owners does not have proper tires for slick conditions. Most of vehicles during "bombgeneses" that hit Colorado in March that created traffic, and ultimately blocked roads were trucks, JEEP's and Subaru's, and all trucks here are 4WD. However, they did not get stuck when snow got deep. They got stuck when slush turned in ice and got covered by 1/2 inch of snow. F15o that was driving on one road behind me that has stop lights on 4% incline eventually just stopped, and I picked up guy and drove hime home.
My point about how this does not make sense is that most owners where I live "haul" child seats. They do not tow, do construction etc. I have neighbor that has construction company and of course, he has truck, which makes absolute sense. But, for family duties, minivan or SUV are 10 times better option, and they can tow mulch too (for example my VW CC towed mulch too), kayak can fit on roof of Subaru, let alone some SUV or minivan. Now if one needs to tow something serious, I already said, there is no doubt truck or SUV with body on frame is best option.

Oh yeah did anyone else mention why pickups are popular? Lots of overweight/obese Americans, over 50% actually. They actually need the room of a pickup/SUV to fit in as opposed to crawling into a sedan.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Oh yeah did anyone else mention why pickups are popular? Lots of overweight/obese Americans, over 50% actually. They actually need the room of a pickup/SUV to fit in as opposed to crawling into a sedan.

Now that i can agree with, some truth in that. The morbidly obese need large vehicles , flip flops, and floor fans.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Not surprising really. Not even "Luxo" trim, our '19 RAM Sport rides incredibly well and is very well appointed throughout. It's quieter and smoother than my Jeep, which, in 2016, was the top-trim level available for the GC. My father is blown away by how nice these new trucks are and I fully expect that once he's done with his Expedition, that he'll be consolidating from that and his Town Car into a new truck, probably in Laramie trim.

These testimonies (Mike from OK) unfortunately confirm that people have no idea actually how vehicles truly drive and what they are made for. This proliferation of uber expensive pick ups that serve to take kids to daycare and get milk is amazing. I live in neighborhood where there is absolute proliferation of pick ups (partly bcs. there is invasion of people from TX, CA, etc. and they think all you need in snow is pick up. Then in winter they face with reality called: ditch), and my SIenna seem to see more dirt than most of those pick ups.
I get that RAM drives good, but the question is: why one needs that as primary/family vehicle, unless someone runs construction business, need solid towing capability etc? I mean I get that people like something, but this is becoming ridiculous. Heaviest thing most trucks in my neighborhood carry is child seat!

Well, I can tell you we have one now because there have been more and more frequent occasions where we needed a truck, and since our driveway only comfortably fits two vehicles, we decided that one of them should be a truck, so we got rid of the Durango and got one (then another). EPA is supposed to be 17Mpg in town, but neither of us are able to achieve that. We likely get EPA on the highway though, which is, IIRC, 21.

Some of our recent uses:
- Towing the boat (which the Jeep can also do), taking scrap to the dump, taking junk electronics/computers to the Electronic Waste recycling place, hauling all the materials for my cousin's deck, hauling drywall home, hauling the 4-wheeler (fits in the bed), loads of topsoil, moving furniture for friends and I'm sure we'll find even more uses this summer.

Regarding the "ditch raider" comments, we run dedicated snows, so this new truck will have likely Latitude X-Ice Xi2's on it this winter like the other truck did.

It's a classic example of thinking that they are smarter than the rest. Their choices are always the best, in their eyes, and they view others as stumbling idiots in need of guidance.

Hence they always "don't understand" other people's choices.

I think in some cases, you are quite correct.

Did you actually read what I said, or you want me to go step by step?

LOL! Did you?

You keep harping on and on that that most people "haul" their child seat in their pickups. What exactly is an average S class or a 7 series used for in America? Don't well off people use these to commute to work or drop off their kids at school? And they get about the same gas mileage as an average pickup. So why you don't have a problem with a luxury sedan when a luxury pickup is a stupid choice, according to you?

Last edited:
Back