Luxeon LEDs in my brake lamps...yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After much shopping and agonizing, I finally got a set of ultra-bright Luxeon LEDs in my tail lamps.

Brake lamps = 14x 0.5w red Luxeon LEDs
Tail lamps = 15x regular red LEDs

The brake lamps are very bright, probably brighter than the stock 7507 bulbs. No hotspots. I do get sporadic bulb out warnings when it's warm out...when it's cold the resistance increases and the warnings go away. :)

The tail lamps took a lot more work; I think I exchanged 4 or 5 different setups. It's hard to find bright LEDs that use the BA15s base that are also stubby and spread light well. These were the best I could do. They do suffer from a slight hot-spot if you view them from dead-behind but the entire reflector is still lit. If I felt ambitious I suppose I could modify the size of the opening in the housing but I would really rather not break out the Dremel.

Only real problem is that the coloring is slightly different because of the different pattern inside the housing. The tail lamps are a very vibrant red but the brake lamps are a bit more orangy. All photos taken with identical camera settings. Color is a tad off but it's the best I could do.

Thoughts? Yay or nay?

led.jpg

led-brake-on.jpg

led-far.jpg

led-day.jpg

For comparison, here's the 7507 & 5007 bulb setup. Bulbs on left tail lamp, LEDs on right. Ignore the orange color, that's just something weird the camera is doing.

ledbulb.jpg

Close-up of the incandescent bulb:

bulb.jpg

My main concern would be the bulb out warning. I can't stand the loud beep and the message on the screen (had a bad xenon bulb that was dieing slowly so had that beep for some time).

Funny thing is that it only happens when ambient temps are >50 degrees (resistance increases as temperature decreases). I can wire in some resistors in about 10 minutes if I decide to keep them.

You need to do the comparison during the day (for the brake lights) with the sun (preferably bright, that is the worse situation)in your back (shining on the light).

If you can easily see the light when they are on, you are OK.

Remember these lights are for those who follow you, so take their place and consider if that looks safe.

Besides autolumination.com, v-leds.com and superbrightleds.com have a pretty good selection.

My issue about getting these is the ridiculous of bulbs.even after you find your proper replacement. There are like 8+ choices. Tall, short, ones that open up. Ahhhhhhh

Does Audi have an issue with poorly illuminated factory tail lights? Or is there supposed to be a "cool" factor with the LED lights?

I honestly can't tell much difference, and I doubt that the majority of the driving public will ever notice, so I'm not sure what purpose the hassle of changing out the lights serves.

Its a mod. Whether you understand it or not is irrelevant.

BTW, my reverse lights in my cars are now LED which use 1/3rd the wattage and are twice as bright. I can see what I back into when its dark out
grin2.gif

My LED brake lights also light up faster than regular bulbs. This means, if the person behind you is paying attention, they are less likely to hit you. I think they call it reaction time!

And, if you're and enviro-eco weenie, every watt saved in power is less fuel used to create that watt
happy2.gif

Or, you can use that saved wattage elsewhere. The ~100w that I saved by moving many bulbs to LED's went to my amplifier upgrade. With my tunes cranking, there was no need for a bigger alternator and battery. Less electronic electrical system stress is good.

LEDs usually don't burn out as frequently as normal bulbs.

The solution to the dash light is to unplug it. Its an idiot light reserved by usage by idiots.

There are also resistor mods to add a little more load to the circuit to prevent it which defeats the 'power' saved :-(

Oh, did I mention they look cool
smirk.gif

understand mod interest. also observe brightness from angles to make sure it's there. and it needs to flood the lens, not just a hot spot (can't see pics here).

if i ever do it, I'll gut the whole lamp assy, add breadboard to fit the lens, and solder in 40 running lamp leds, and more for the added brake lux.

then i'll get rear-ended and all that work will have been for naught-- and they might argue i had altered the lamp assy's and cause insurance entanglements--- "I never saw his brake lights..." sorry- being pessimistic. to THAT end, photo-document day/night/ behind/offset and comparison pics to save your butt.

rambling off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back