Lumber Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 14 years, the 2X4 that sits across my trucks bed liner near the tail gate, has finally gone to saw dust Heaven.
When I bought my truck new I drove from the lot to a truck accessory store and had them install an under rail PENDALINER. Even though I paid cash for my truck Ford still wanted an extra $245 for a bed liner. I paid $99.95 + tax for the PENDALINER.
Anyway, I bought a 2X4 for it from HD. I think I paid like $2.50 in 07. I went to Home Hardware in town earlier today and bought a #2 Southern Pine 2X4X8 for $11.29, including tax! :eek:
Is this the normal prices of lumber (2X4X8) today, 2021?
2X4.jpg

Last edited:
This, too, shall pass. Be grateful if you didn't die or get seriously ill over the past year. It's all about perseverance and staying mentally healthy. The end is in sight. Hoo Raa!!!!!!! In another thread someone said that just the retailers are enjoying the benefits of the increased prices. But, my communication with some DNR foresters in Michigan indicate that stumpage prices (standing tree/log value) is also up, so others along the supply chain are enjoying the price increases also......according to them. The consumer, not so much.

Last edited:
Yep, that's why, after selling my truck, I kept my enclosed trailer (that I can't move anymore): it's now a shed. Cheaper as a shed now!

I suspect it'll come down, but I also suspect some level of inflation has occurred, and that a new normal has hit.

After 14 years, the 2X4 that sits across my trucks bed liner near the tail gate, has finally gone to saw dust Heaven.
When I bought my truck new I drove from the lot to a truck accessory store and had them install an under rail PENDALINER. Even though I paid cash for my truck Ford still wanted an extra $245 for a bed liner. I paid $99.95 + tax for the PENDALINER.
Anyway, I bought a 2X4 for it from HD. I think I paid like $2.50 in 07. I went to Home Hardware in town earlier today and bought a #2 Southern Pine 2X4X8 for $11.29, including tax! :eek:
View attachment 58241
There is a very large independently owned lumber business near me that has been there for years. They have a rail spur, and the last year or two I have never seen so many rail cars of lumber delivered to them. It is probably fives times more than a couple years ago.

Supply and demand low product availability Dollar losing its value ,etc. etc. Now is a good time to try to postpone unnecessary repairs or jobs.

View attachment 58241
Well, Lady Luck did shine down on me today.
Probably about the same time my tail light lens flew into oblivion the other day, so did one of my 4" bed liner plugs.
I have been surfing the interweb looking for a replacement, but to no avail. So, I called PENDALINER in Portage, Wisconsin. I talked to a very nice lady CS REP. that was very nice and thoughtful to send me (2) new 4" bed liner plugs FREE of charge.
I offered her some FREE Boudin, but she politely turned it down. :unsure:

My son said he was in Home Depot recently and saw that a 4x8 of plywood was $40.

Price was $8 at Lowes for a 2x4x8 yesterday. I ended up buying 2x3x8 for $5 each. On the upside I had 3 40 ft pine trees removed 2 weeks ago for $200 ea. Last year they wanted $800 ea. I dont know if they needed the work or the wood had some value but I finally got rid of them.

just cut up an old 2x4x8 for a garage door opener install. Always keep at least one around because they're so handy.
Now at least I know how much I will pay. & Still worth it.

A 2x4x8 is just over $11 today at Menards... A year plus ago it was about $2.50ish a board, but started rising as the pandemic set in...

And you may think about finding a few more sources for news (as this has been a large story for months on end)... if they haven't mentioned this one, what else aren't you hearing about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back