Lucus trans fix

What you all think about lucus trans fix ?
Its going in a slipping BMW 325i (e46) w 190k on the clock.
Sometimes before warm it won't even move. After it warms up it gets much better.
Car only worth about 2k.
Transmission rebuild more than that.

What you all think about lucus trans fix ?
Its going in a slipping BMW 325i (e46) w 190k on the clock.
Sometimes before warm it won't even move. After it warms up it gets much better.
Car only worth about 2k.
Transmission rebuild more than that.

Try changing the filter and fluid first, if that doesn't help the unit probably needs internal repairs. Snot in a bottle isn't going to fix this, if you don't want to spend much money on it put a used one in it, they go for 300-500 and is easy to swap in this car.
If the rest of the car is in decent shape it is worth doing IMO.

I don't have any faith in that thick Lucas stuff. At your mileage, I doubt that any additive is going to give you any long term solution to your transmission issue. It will not add material back onto worn out parts such as clutches.A pan drop and filter change would be worth a try and you can see if there is a lot of clutch debris laying on the bottom of the pan.

I don't have any faith in that thick Lucas stuff. At your mileage, I doubt that any additive is going to give you any long term solution to your transmission issue. It will not add material back onto worn out parts such as clutches.A pan drop and filter change would be worth a try and you can see if there is a lot of clutch debris laying on the bottom of the pan.
Already done that.

Try changing the filter and fluid first, if that doesn't help the unit probably needs internal repairs. Snot in a bottle isn't going to fix this, if you don't want to spend much money on it put a used one in it, they go for 300-500 and is easy to swap in this car.
If the rest of the car is in decent shape it is worth doing IMO.
This, 100%.

Here is the way I see it. Take all this with a grain of salt. I'm no expert.

Lucas trans fix = thickens fluid = increases pressure inside transmission. Maybe can help compensate for a worn pump and possibly apply more clamping force to clutches.

Type f = no friction modifiers = might help increase coefficient of friction between clutch material and steels.

Seafoam transtune = no seal swelling agents just some type of varnish removers = can help free up sick bores in the valve body or stuck solenoids.

Sounds like the trans is done which you’re well aware of since you’ve looked at re-building it. I’ve always been a believer these products are really just palliative care for transmissions e.g little bit of a time buyer to sort things out and look at buying a new car or shopping around for a reputable transmission shop. For this application I have known several people that have used that particular Lucas product to eek out a few months of use before their car becomes yard art. If that’s your intention than Lucas which is really just a thickener could help, it won’t really “fix” anything though.

I use it in older aluminum transfer cases that call for ATF. I like the fluid to be just a little thicker especially in a worn unit. Never had any luck with it in a transmission that already had problems.

I use it in older aluminum transfer cases that call for ATF. I like the fluid to be just a little thicker especially in a worn unit. Never had any luck with it in a transmission that already had problems.

It likely turns into an aerated frothy mess in those T-cases BTW. There used to be a video on here "back in they day" where the original Bob ran Shaeffers gear lube against plain gear lube and then gear lube + Lucas and the amount of air in the Lucas blend was insane.

1607895374480.png

Well I'm giving it a shot tomorrow. 11 bucks. Not doing a 5k trans. Will sell for scrap after that

It likely turns into an aerated frothy mess in those T-cases BTW. There used to be a video on here "back in they day" where the original Bob ran Shaeffers gear lube against plain gear lube and then gear lube + Lucas and the amount of air in the Lucas blend was insane.

That is Lucas oil stabilizer, not Lucas transmission fix. It is very clear from the photograph. They are two completely different products.

That is Lucas oil stabilizer, not Lucas transmission fix. It is very clear from the photograph. They are two completely different products.

Are they though? They both do the same thing: massively increase viscosity with a huge dose of VII and wickedly heavy bright stock. I would in no way be surprised if it is the exact same product.

That is a wild guess on your part with nothing to back it up. At least you admit you have represented one Lucas product as a different product. The CAS numbers are different. The viscosities are wildly different 48 cSt versus 110 cSt. Density is different. The texture is different, the transmission fix is very sticky. It has seal conditioners in it.

That is a wild guess on your part with nothing to back it up. At least you admit you have represented one Lucas product as a different product. The CAS numbers are different. The viscosities are wildly different 48 cSt versus 110 cSt. Density is different. The texture is different, the transmission fix is very sticky. It has seal conditioners in it.

Where did I represent it as a different product? I said Lucas with gear lube, I never once stated it was the Trans Fix, I simply suggested that if the test Bob had done with gear oil + Lucas, a combo Lucas recommended, was any indication, there was a significant chance of aeration, something you've not made any effort to disprove.

Maybe the Trans Fix has a splash less VII in it, LOL! Being the equivalent of almost 2x the viscosity of SAE 60, that's a compelling endorsement right there! "Trans Fix, it's like our oil stabilizer, but with less plastic and more tackifier!"

"the transmission fix is very sticky"

Indeed. And why are we putting bar oil tackifier in a product that isn't going in a chainsaw? I'm sure you don't know the answer to that and there likely isn't one beyond the fact that it looks compelling on a parts store counter where it climbs the gears in the little plastic demo machines.

"it has seal conditioners!"

Well stop the train! A product with no formal approvals for anything (unlike MaxLife and Mobil High Mileage) is now claiming to condition seals. Pardon my skepticism that a product blended with the useless inclusion of bar oil tackifier might not be all that it advertises to be in this department when compared to more legitimate offerings.

I'd originally included some queries about shilling for Lucas, a company that's generally maligned on here, but I've removed them in an effort to keep this reasonably civil.

Last edited:
Back