Lucid Air - The new Buick?

505 miles in the Edmunds “Real World” EV range test.

D524F370-6150-40F3-BB7F-C1EACDF2DDA5.jpeg

Yes, this, EV's have a more efficient powertrain than gas engines, which are ~30-40% efficient. EV's are around 90% efficient.

The difference of course is that gasoline is massively more energy dense than a battery.
- 1 gallon of gasoline has 120,286 BTU
- 1 kWh is 3,412 BTU
- 1 gallon of gasoline weighs 6.073lbs
- The Tesla Model 3 Long Range battery weighs 1,060lbs and has a capacity of 75kWh; 14.13lbs per kWh, 255,900 BTU

So:
- 20lbs of gasoline is 3.29 gallons and contains 396,134 BTU
- 20lbs of Tesla battery contains 1.415kWh; 4,829 BTU

That's a massive difference in energy density.

However, an EV that gets let's say 400 miles on a 75kWh battery is getting 5.33 miles per kWh. We've already noted that 1kWh is 3,412 BTU and 1 gallon of gasoline is 120,286 BTU, so there are 35.25kWh available per gallon of gasoline. If that gasoline powertrain was as efficient as the EV one, it would get 188 miles out of that gallon of gas.

As @JeffKeryk noted, EV's are best suited to in-town use where aero doesn't have an impact on power consumption. Unlike a gasoline engine where start/stop and changing gears and going all over the RPM range puts it in its least efficient mode of operation, this is where the BEV excels. You put it out on the open road and throw in some long hills and the laws that govern friction and overcoming it to obtain a given road speed are not circumvented, so the electric motor draws more power and range decreases. While the powertrain itself is more efficient, the available "fuel" is so low density in comparison to an ICE that this is where the weakness of a battery when compared to a liquid fuel are really highlighted.
I had been away for few years from this forum. When did OVERKILL convert to electrical cars? He has become an evangelist like a born again guy for EV or did somebody hijacked his account?

All we need now is few more vocal gas guys to go through baptism and life will be all good. I am NOT going to name the names yet :)

OverKill you should have also included the weight (and size) of the respective powertrain in to the mix when you compared the weight of gasoline and weight of batteries. Of course, the calculations will be incomplete without taking in to account difference of weight between a full and empty gasoline tank vs full and empty battery pack. I mean those electrons have mass too :)

OverKill you should have also included the weight (and size) of the respective powertrain in to the mix when you compared the weight of gasoline and weight of batteries. Of course, the calculations will be incomplete without taking in to account difference of weight between a full and empty gasoline tank vs full and empty battery pack. I mean those electrons have mass too :)
I was trying to contrast the difference in the mass of the storage medium (hydrocarbons vs batteries) so I didn't include the weight of the electric drives nor the powertrain. We could make that comparison separately however!

A BMW M4 weighs 3,880lbs for example, while the i4 M50 weighs 5,018lbs. That's a pretty substantial difference.

@Vikas do you still have your Model 3 Performance or has it already burned down your garage?
Is it supposed to burn down my garage? I had no idea!! Is that a feature or bug??

Talking about feature or bug, the latest firmware update means I am not able to get "Navigate On Autopilot". I am hoping that now Elon will forget about Tesla and giving us unnecessary firmware updates and will waste all of his time on his Twitter feed.

I was talking about the powertrain aka engine+gearbox vs motor+controller weight comparison.
Yep, I know, but we don't have the specs for that, but we do know how much the battery weighs and we can easily figure out how much a full tank of gas weighs. With that more recent example, I was just showing that the engine/trans/fuel combo weight in an M4 is considerably less than the motor/gearbox/battery combo in the i4 M50, which is based on the same platform.

So, if we assume the battery weighs the same as the Tesla battery I mentioned earlier (I have no idea if that's the case or not) and we subtract that from the i4 M50's weight, that brings us down to 3,958lbs for the car plus motors, gearboxes and controllers vs 3,880lbs for the M4 with its total powertrain.

Speaking of weight, this just popped up in my feed

Odd that he compared the smallest Model 3 battery pack and car weight in RWD only to the largest i4 battery pack in AWD. That seems disingenuous.

Also, the bimmer platform isn't ICE-based. It a modular platform that was designed, from the get-go, to do ICE, PHEV and EV and has many interchangeable components (like the floor pan) to accommodate that. We got into those details in another thread.

The battery is also not the only reason the car is heavier, he touched-on that when comparing the curb weight of the regular 4-series to the Model 3, and the regular 4-series starts off heavier in the first place. This is because it has a lot more "stuff". Insulation, dash material, electronics, panels...etc. It's a much cozier and more traditional cabin (that's like the regular 4-series cabin for the most part) intentionally.

It's also not "much more expensive". A similarly equipped Model 3 is very close to the same price (larger battery, AWD).

328kW peak charging on a Lucid Air. Should be more details on an “Out of Spec Reviews” YouTube video soon (this guy is the main host)

Man some of you guys are brutal judging a car on the basis of a photo and who is to knock the price, the price is what one can afford.

To me a lot of $60,000 EV’s look like $20,000 ICE Econo boxes so this Lucid at 100,000 looks like you’re getting what you’re paying for luxury, at a price, but at least it’s “there”

Now that Electrify America is ripping out the garbage ABB chargers, the Lucid will peak at 351kw on the new BTC chargers.

Skip to 23:00

Back