Lucas Zinc break in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a quick question, just to think about. I was looking at the Lucas bottle of break in oil. Zinc oil. I know this is for older engines, flat tappet, and such. But lets say you wanted to boost the ammount of zinc in an oil change on a newer vehicle. Not a lot, but lets say just maybe 2 or 300. Would it be a good idea to use a couple oz's for 5 qts of oil to get the levels up? The bottle says 1 16oz bottle for 5 qts of oil. I know this is for cars with no converter on them. But if you cut the ammount to a couple oz's would it hurt anything? The cost of the bottle is $14.00

look in your owners manual. my volvo is fine with SJ-rated oil and its from 2000. find out the max zinc ppm of your car's oil API rating, and add that much zinc.

this is all assuming the stuff in question here is compatible with all engine oils.

Last edited:
If you want to boost Zinc I would try the Red Line brake in additive. Better product for $12, and it tells you how much you want to use if you just want to "boost" Zinc.

(better company too if you asked me
grin2.gif
)

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
If you want to boost Zinc I would try the Red Line brake in additive. Better product for $12, and it tells you how much you want to use if you just want to "boost" Zinc.

(better company too if you asked me
grin2.gif
)

EXACTLY!!! 1 oz/qt of oil, for a nice 575 ppm ZDDP boost.

Lucas says there additive has about 5000 ppm of ZDDP in a single 16oz bottle

So if I added lets say just 1 or 2 oz's to an oil change would this be safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back