Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease for 2011 Sliverado?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease with great success at work and was wondering if I could use it on my fairly new 2011 Silverado tie rod ends? Manual says use the GM speced stuff or #2 GC-LB. Will the Lucas stuff eat up the boots/seals on the chevy?

This grease is the only one that does not wash out at work. I do have a tube of Mobil 1 synthetic but, everytime I use it on anything it washes out easy and when stored it leaks out over time and all over where I store it.

Thank you ahead of time for your helpful comments.

Hmmmm.... Wonder if the Lucas is just Marine Grade Grease packaged for Lucas. Make sure the Drop Point is up their where it needs to be if you use it on wheel bearings.

Last edited:
Gene K, Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty has a dropping point of 500 degrees if that helps. I just looked my truck over for zerks and only found two, tie rod ends. I used Lucas on a dump truck along with other greases and this is the one that stays put. The others are typical and seep out over time. Maybe it is due to the Polyurea base?

if the lucas has a different base than the factory grease you shouldnt use it. unless the new grease lists as compatible with whatever grease type is in there now.

Rand, You could not be more right. I checked and double checked about the compatibility of lithium and polyurea bases, they do not mix. Lucas tries to tell you to get as much of the lithium base out before putting in their polyurea based stuff, then it should be o.k. Not going to tempt fate. I'll stick with the Mobil 1 Synthetic.

unfortunately I'm biased against Lucas's products, pretty most of them. the oil treatment, trans fix, etc.. just harmful snake oil.. and their chassis grease, which is fortified with Anti Seize is crud IMHO. it drips steadily in the summer and slower in the winter from the grease gun. I'm not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back