Lucas Transmission Fix too thick for the winter?

Over the summer, I started getting rough shifts in my 02 Accord. I adamantly change the ATF in this car every 20k miles, and it had only been ~10k miles since the last change. In any case, I decided to a drain & fill with Honda juice and also added a half bottle of Lucas Transmission fix. Drove the car through the summer and the shifting improved noticeably.

Now with the colder temps, I am getting shift flares for the first few miles in the morning. It goes away as the car warms up. Is this from the Lucas thickening up the ATF & having poor cold flow?

Lucas products aren't very popular on here

Most of those transmission additives are unnecessary at best and harmful at worst. If you still feel the need to use something else, Lubegard has a better reputation.

Did you remember to reduce the amount of ATF you put in by the amount of Lucas you used? Overfilling could cause problems.

The original factory fill ATF was thicker than the DW1 you've been using, so the viscosity itself shouldn't be an issue. Is your Accord a V6? Hondas with the V6 have widespread transmission problems that even DW1 every 20k can't fix! How many miles on the car now?

Great post slacktide ^^^^^

MC where you live at in the Northeast ?

How many qts does that transmission hold ?

How much Lucas was added ?

If the Lucas is less than say 10 percent of the capacity of the transmission... It should be ok IF you don't live where it gets stupid cold.... Like say northern Vermont or northern NY state or northern NH or northern Maine away from the coast..

I would go with a quality synthetic ATF and if that does not help then go to a transmission shop. ATF changes or additives will not cure many transmission problems.

It is a 19 yr old car with how many miles? Transmissions do have parts that wear regardless of how often you changed the ATF.
Lucas products aren't very popular on here

Most of those transmission additives are unnecessary at best and harmful at worst. If you still feel the need to use something else, Lubegard has a better reputation.

Did you remember to reduce the amount of ATF you put in by the amount of Lucas you used? Overfilling could cause problems.

The original factory fill ATF was thicker than the DW1 you've been using, so the viscosity itself shouldn't be an issue. Is your Accord a V6? Hondas with the V6 have widespread transmission problems that even DW1 every 20k can't fix! How many miles on the car now?
While I do not use Lucas products myself, I do enjoy turning the crank and watch the gears go round on the Lucas demo thing while I am waiting for the parts guy to find the parts I need.

Back