Lucas Synthetic: I put my money where my mouth is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, I have an '05 crf-r. Lucas is the main outdoor national sponser this year, they had a huge stand at the Freestone nationals

Quote:

It is BMW long life rated even in a 30 weight, so its got to be fairly stout stuff.

5W-20 also meets VW502 MB229.1 and BMW LL according to the PDS; so I think they don't spend much time making "fine distinctions" of their products.

I'm curious about the outcome of this trial however.

Last edited:
UOA/VOA of the gear and motor oils will be interesting.

BTW, grabbed some at pepboys when they blew it out the other year. Not a bad 'sounding or feeling' oil. Just wouldn't go more then 4k-5k or so without a UOA.

In about 1 month I will have a UOA of the Lucas 5w-30 in my VW TDI which requires VW 505. The result is skewed because I'm running it as a blend with Redline 30WT race oil. So far oil consumption is normal compare to Amsoil, RP, Castrol, etc. I am running it in my car because I got the oil for $1/qt.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Not a bad 'sounding or feeling' oil

Not trying to be a wise arse, but what does a bad oil sound like or feel like? Only reason I ask is because I respect your posts and insights so I might be missing something.

Originally Posted By: lsxjon
I just drained my Amsoil HDD 5W-30 from my 2008 2500HD with the 6.0 gas engine and filled it with Lucas 10W-30 Synthetic.

I think you'll be fine.

I used the Lucas 5/30 Synthetic in my '04 GTO for an interval determined by my OLM without any issue.

After the Lucas, I put in another often overhyped and expensive boutique oil, and was rewarded with the beginnings of piston slap.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the Lucas again, but it's not sold locally here, AFAIK.

Maybe Lucas needs to develop a well respected distribution channel, like, um, multi level marketing.

I am not a big fan of Amsoil but draining Amsoil for Lucas oil makes zero sense. Lucas is over priced and not even what I would consider a good oil. I used to use Lucas additives all the time but found out that they are a waste of money and do just about nothing for your vehicle. I am sorry but I really think Lucas sucks. If you want to change to something different, try the Schaeffers oils...

I picked up 8 cases a couple of months back when Pep boys was closing it out at ~1.50 a qt. I have run it for 4k changes in 2 honda civics, a crv, an accord, and a toyota tacoma. all of these have the 4 cyl engines. Net net, none of them have locked up yet. The oil drains a little blacker than the previous fill of PP or M1 ow-20. No perceptible change in mileage (i use scanguage), or engine noise. I dont know how it stacks up against the other oils but feel very comfortable with 4k changes........and am dreamy eyed over the 1.50 a qt price. wish i could buy more.

Hit 2000 miles on the Lucas fill today. Peliminary results show a .6 gain in fuel milage with a mix of city, highway, and towing. Weather has been in the mid 80s. Oh, and none has vanished per the dipstick. So far so good.

Originally Posted By: lsxjon
Hit 2000 miles on the Lucas fill today. Peliminary results show a .6 gain in fuel milage with a mix of city, highway, and towing. Weather has been in the mid 80s. Oh, and none has vanished per the dipstick. So far so good.

The reason for the better mileage is because the parts in your engine are shaving metal off them, making them lighter!
LOL.gif

No matter what the outcome, I doubt you'll ever notice a difference over the long haul. I doubt any oil can do enough damage in 6k to have a negative impact on a engine. Supertech for 6k would probably work...

Probably toward the mid or end of August before I can post the UOA. The oil is at 9K miles already and there is no change in oil comsumption or mileage compare to Amsoil, RP, etc.

9K eh? good to know. I like the company, their customer service people are pretty nice to deal with when I called to ask some questions.

It'd be nice to know this oil is good. Its priced pretty high, thats probably why it sits a while on the shelves. They just need to do a better job of making their info available. Thats what swayed me away, but no other reason.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
9K eh? good to know. I like the company, their customer service people are pretty nice to deal with when I called to ask some questions.

It'd be nice to know this oil is good. Its priced pretty high, thats probably why it sits a while on the shelves. They just need to do a better job of making their info available. Thats what swayed me away, but no other reason.

I used it for a spell in a blown LS2 with excellent results. Virgin it looks average but for the boron numbers, high four to mid five hundreds. I never used the oil additive junk, but the oil itself returned incredibly low wear numbers for me, and I beat that motor like a kinky red headed stepchild.

Good to know, some real world experience!

Everyone goes on and on and UOA and VOA's and its in the real world that the oils actually work. I dont beleive any one company is ALL bad, and I dont beleive the hype that any one company is ALL good.

The VOA I've seen of Lucas looked fairly good. For what it was worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back