Lucas Synthetic: I put my money where my mouth is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a bit of sparring in the racing forum regarding Lucas oil products, I decided to take it a step futher. I just drained my Amsoil HDD 5W-30 from my 2008 2500HD with the 6.0 gas engine and filled it with Lucas 10W-30 Synthetic. I also drained the severe gear and installed Lucas 75W-90 Synthetic gear oil. Truck has just under 44,000 miles on it, and is used as daily transporation and as the hauler for the enclosed race car trailer. I have religious fuel milage documentation, and will be doing a comparative analysis. Oil filter is a purolator pure one. The air filter is an Amsoil Ea on a K&N intake kit. I plan to run this oci 6K and get both a voa and uoa. If all looks well, I'll do another oci to 10K.

The truth is out there. I hope that I don't prove myself correct!

This is great! I have a very similiar truck (Sierra Denali with the High Output 345hp version of the 6.0) and it just turned 44k miles and I haul a 30ft RV, so whatever you come up with I am really interested. I've been using Mobil 1 exclusively since new and my last UOA wasn't stellar so I promised the folks here that I would run a different oil and re-UOA and see what happens. I was planning on Pennzoil Platinum, but depending on what you come up with - I may go along with you. I have about 3k more miles on thecurrent oil before I change it out.

noack_amsoil_royal_purple_lucas_oil.jpg

Think that was a good idea?
whistle.gif
I know you are using different oils that listed here, but if they failed with this oil it wouldn't say much for their product line IMO.

I'm interested to see your results too!
wink.gif

More info here: http://www.amsoil.com/news/2009_June_noack_volatility_test.pdf

Originally Posted By: StevieC
noack_amsoil_royal_purple_lucas_oil.jpg

Think that was a good idea?
whistle.gif
I know you are using different oils that listed here, but if they failed with this oil it wouldn't say much for their product line IMO.

I'm interested to see your results too!
wink.gif

I hear ya brother. Just going the extra mile to prove a point with an evidence based point of view. I hope to uncover a gem. Cant honestly say I'm expecting to though.

crackmeup2.gif
I think I might drain my Redline and Amsoil for supertech.......
LOL.gif
grin2.gif
Sorry dude but thats just funny. I wouldnt run Lucas in my ten year old lawn mower. But hey, gotta hand it to you for trying to prove a point in all seriousness.

I'm running lucas in my bike and I've yet to see any major consumption. Pretty good for an engine that has a 14,000 rpm redline and makes around 2 hp for every cubic inch. And its not like I baby it either shifting at around 12,500 on a consistent basis.

This should be interesting, although I don't expect anything out of the ordinary. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Who knows maybe you will find a gem, and shock a lot of BITOG'ers, including myself.

I'm looking on their website for this grade of oil. I always considered Lucas a Co. that was created to "dump" refinery byproducts to toothless beater divers that no- one else would dare use.

Last edited:
Couldn't open the TDS for the 10w-30 syn. 5w-30 MSDS said; hydroisomerised paraffinic petroleum oil < 50%; >11cSt; so fake synthetic blend at best. From whom do they buy their ADDs?

Last edited:
Very few boutique oils are good. Amsoil is one of the exceptions.

Originally Posted By: brian12

I'm running lucas in my bike and I've yet to see any major consumption. Pretty good for an engine that has a 14,000 rpm redline and makes around 2 hp for every cubic inch. And its not like I baby it either shifting at around 12,500 on a consistent basis.

two-fifty four stroke?

Originally Posted By: 72customdeluxe
Originally Posted By: brian12

two-fifty four stroke?
Nice! Do you own one?

I was ready to use the Lucas oil as well in 10w30.

I called the company, and their always really friendly.

The ONLY thing that swayed me away, is when I asked about Oil change intervals, the guy could say at all. Not even a hint. He said "It should go for a while, because we use the stabilizer in it" That was a bit of a red flag for me.

Other than that, I wouldnt be surprised if it produces some good results. a lot of circle track guys use it, and they go by reduced number of engine failures, rather than splitting hairs over used oil analysis.

Good luck, make sure to post back, I wouldnt mind using the stuff.

It is BMW long life rated even in a 30 weight, so its got to be fairly stout stuff.

I have Lucas 5W-30 in one of my Explorers. With over 5,000 miles on the oil, the level on the dipstick has not dropped.

Btw the engine is smooth, quiet and MPG is at least as good as the other synthetics I have used in this vehicle.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
I have Lucas 5W-30 in one of my Explorers. With over 5,000 miles on the oil, the level on the dipstick has not dropped.

Btw the engine is smooth, quiet and MPG is at least as good as the other synthetics I have used in this vehicle.
Yeah I noticed my bike quieted down when I put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back