Lucas SEMI synthetic for a wrangler trans & transfer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I was shopping for oil to service the auto transmission and transfer case in an 08 wrangler with 208,000 KM - new to my daughter. In case it matters it won't be seeing much if any off road.

I'm not loyal to any brand. The auto parts store I walked into happened to sell Lucas - a good brand, so I've heard. When I got to checkout I noticed that it is SEMI synthetic ATF. I asked about this and they said it "would be fine" - would mix with the old ATF, give good protection etc. As it was the only ATF they had in stock and it is Lucas, I bought it. (Lucas does make full synthetic ATF but only in 5 gallon pails).

After, I called and talked to a Lucas rep. They also said it would be "fine". Wouldn't need to be changed any sooner than a full synthetic, mixes with the old, takes lots of heat before breaking down (but they did admit not as much as full synthetic) etc. I've heard these wrangler trannys get on the hot side.

I'm wondering though if I should keep shopping. Should I believe that it's last as long and protects as well as full synthetic?

I'm in no big rush to change it and definitely don't want to be doing this again any time soon - and of course want to put in good stuff - best I can.

What do you think?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
You'll get a lot of Lucas haters on this board. What's wrong with MaxLife?.

Nothing that I know of. Is there something wrong with Lucas ATF? How about their gear oil? I bought that for the front and rear differentials.

If Maxlife is better I'll take the Lucas back. If there is something better than both I'll buy that. What is the "best"?

Last edited:
Doesn't the wrangler use ATF+4, like other Jeep/Chrysler products? If so, I would use a reputable brand that specifically states compatibility with ATF+4 or an actual licensed ATF+4 product. I may be wrong, but I dont think maxlife says ATF+4 and I dont know about Lucas.

BTW i have not been to Alberta, but walmart or other stores in my area typically have ATF+4 in stock for reasonable price.

Last edited:
Thanks
It does call for ATF+4. Lucas says it matches this specification. Walmart and Canadian Tire both carry this but are some aftermarket ATF+4s better than others?

First, note that I am not a Lucas hater, but i have only tried a few of their products and cannot attest to the quality/durability of their ATF. However, in my opinion all of the major brands, including Lucas, make quality stuff overall. If Lucas says their ATF is compatible then it will be fine. It may or may not be the most cost effective, though. Most store brands (carquest, NAPA, etc) are produced by the major companies and are also good quality. I dont know which is "best" but many people swear by Amsoil.

I would avoid off brands available at discounters and some convenience stores - especially those listed under the consumer advisory section on pqiamerica.com.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Frznrth
Thanks
It does call for ATF+4. Lucas says it matches this specification. Walmart and Canadian Tire both carry this but are some aftermarket ATF+4s better than others?

Yes only use ATF+4 in that Transmission. Any ATF+4 will be fine.

For our non Canadian members, ATF+4 is a little harder to find in Canadian Walmarts. More easily available at Canadian Tire under the Motomaster brand (which I think is made by Citgo). In Ontario it costs around $8.99 a liter (if not on sale).

You might also find it at your local Napa in Canada (I think it will be made by Valvoline), but will probably be $8.99 a liter as well.

I picked up some OEM ATF+4 by checking my Local Kijiji for half the price. Plenty of guys have that ATF and they got rid of their Chyrsler vehicles and are selling the ATF. You might want to go that route.

Last edited:
All I know about Chrysler transmissions is that I have a step daughter that blew one out on a newish Cherokee so, ignore my recommendation of MaxLife. Lots of people dis STP but their oil and filters (both items passed around to different manufacturers) seem to work fine. Prolly same with Lucas. Just because their bright stock additives are scorned, doesn't mean that there's a problem with their ATF. After all they sell enough for stadium naming rights. If it meets specs, I guess.....

Thanks for all the information. I almost bought Napa brand but they didn't have enough. I see the motor master stuff but didn't know who made it. Is Citgo good stuff?

I've been looking for Mobil 1 but I can only find their motor oil in Canada. Any ideas where to get it here?
I'm thinking that should be a "safe" choice.

I found and bought some Castrol full synthetic ATF+4 at a Napa store.

While I was at it I bought Napa's house brand gear oil (made by Valvoline) on sale for 1/2 the cost of the Lucas. Castol's ATF was also cheaper than Lucas.

While even the most costly fluids are way cheaper than a repair, I'm fairly confident that what I ended up buying will be enough protection - hopefully.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back