Lucas racing oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bror Jace, the engine is newish, no blow by,

and the engine is clean inside,

but this oil is a very dark colour to start off with,

and the reason i bought it was because i have got nearly double the HP as to what a standard engine has,, or 50 HP up on the hottest from the factory

so needed a good thick oil, for an old engine , [19 60 design ]

as when it is took oot, it gets some stick!!

, have a look on the link to see the car/ engine, Green GT 6

regards Marcus

Well lets see. You have 300+ posts vs my 15 or so? Looks like you are the net nerd. FWIW, I race a n/a small block that goes 8.78 @ 151. Ive tried EVERYTHING out there and send oil out for analysis. Got a few buds using Lucas. They get it free and change it 2x a weekend if they make it past the first round. The Lucas product is designed to work cold without pre-heating it. After several heat cycles it is toast. Good oil if you tow your car to the lanes and back, dont pre-heat your oil, and have an endless supply of it. It does make hp. And your experience???????

Last edited:
Nice car ... haven't seen one like that around here in a long time. They seem to have gone 'underground' emerging only for scheduled car shows or very rare sightings on pleasant Sunday afternoons.
cool.gif

But my favorite Brit car is the big Healey ... the 3000. They take my breath away each time I see one (also increasingly rare).
20.gif

Straight 6-cylinder engines are known for smoothness and durability (and that's probably not a coincidence). It was the conventional wisdom around here that the ideal weight for the large Jeep straight-6s was a 40 weight (typically 15W-40 or 5W-40 synthetic) but occasionally people would post a UOA to the contrary.

Not sure why the Lucas Oil would be dark out of the bottle ... variation in oil color is common ... even within the same brand.

azsynthetic, while far from definitive, my take on Lucas is based on UOAs and other writings on this site and what I've seen in the market place over the past dozen or so years. Disagree? Fine ... but please prove it.

If you (or anyone else) says Lucas Oil products are exceptional, please post some evidence as to why. I didn't say they were bad ... but I did suggest they are rather ordinary and not quite worth the price tag when you look at all the choices we have today. If you disagree that's fine ... but show all of us the evidence, please.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace

If you (or anyone else) says Lucas Oil products are exceptional, please post some evidence as to why. I didn't say they were bad ... but I did suggest they are rather ordinary and not quite worth the price tag when you look at all the choices we have today. If you disagree that's fine ... but show all of us the evidence, please.

You assume they are ordinary for the price tag with no scientific proof. I assume nothing and base my conclusion on race track results and not anecdotal UOAs and VOAs on this board. You can check with NASCAR, NHRA, IHRA, PPL, and USHRA tracks across the country for Lucas records. If you are racing and worry about the price of oil then you should not be racing. You will never be competitive if you're trying to save pennies. This is racing oil forum and not PCMO forum.

Originally Posted By: lsxjon
Well lets see. You have 300+ posts vs my 15 or so? Looks like you are the net nerd. FWIW, I race a n/a small block that goes 8.78 @ 151. Ive tried EVERYTHING out there and send oil out for analysis. Got a few buds using Lucas. They get it free and change it 2x a weekend if they make it past the first round. The Lucas product is designed to work cold without pre-heating it. After several heat cycles it is toast. Good oil if you tow your car to the lanes and back, dont pre-heat your oil, and have an endless supply of it. It does make hp. And your experience???????

A newbie like yourselves with less than 5 weeks on this board and you already a Lucas oil expert? Before blaming the oil why don't you look at your engine/chassis/suspension/tire or may be the driver as your problem? Not all Lucas oil are designed to work cold, you need to rethink your oil choices. Have you talk to Lucas about your lubrication problem? Just because you and your buds can't win with Lucas do not mean that the oil is bad.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

You assume they are ordinary for the price tag with no scientific proof. I assume nothing and base my conclusion on race track results and not anecdotal UOAs and VOAs on this board. You can check with NASCAR, NHRA, IHRA, PPL, and USHRA tracks across the country for Lucas records. If you are racing and worry about the price of oil then you should not be racing. You will never be competitive if you're trying to save pennies. This is racing oil forum and not PCMO forum.

FWIW, most of NASCAR runs Mobil 1.
As does LeMans, Daytona, Indy...etc.

"You can check with NASCAR, NHRA, IHRA, PPL, and USHRA tracks across the country for Lucas records."

Or ... YOU can check with them and then cite those records to back-up your claim that's a top-notch oil. Top racing oils in North America seem to be Mobil 1 (presumably a custom formulation ... not off-the-shelf Mobil 1) and Red Line Oil. The #3 spot is probably a toss-up between Motul, Royal Purple, Amsoil and Torco.

In the last day or two I stumbled upon a Lucas motorcycle UOA on this forum that looked pretty good. Additive package looked more advanced than the old-school "just add some ZDDP." That's the first impressive thing I've seen about any Lucas product in years and you didn't point me too it ... I had to find it myself.
smirk2.gif

Still, too many of the Lucas products are 'miracle' band-aid type products like their oil stabilizer that has shown to have serious drawbacks (especially foaming). These do not enhance my confidence in their other products.

"You assume they are ordinary for the price tag with no scientific proof."

More empty bluster. You know next to nothing about me. I cited above my reasons why I am not (generally) impressed with their products (for the price).

A newbie like yourselves with less than 5 weeks on this board and you already a Lucas oil expert? Before blaming the oil why don't you look at your engine/chassis/suspension/tire or may be the driver as your problem? Not all Lucas oil are designed to work cold, you need to rethink your oil choices. Have you talk to Lucas about your lubrication problem? Just because you and your buds can't win with Lucas do not mean that the oil is bad.

Newbie? Thought you said I spend all of my time on the internet? Guess you didn't/can't comprehend my post. We do quite well in our racing series. Based upon ci and wt with stock style suspension we are very competitive. My Lucas running friends are tops in their class. We are not having oil related issues. Bottom line is that those who buy their own oil rarely choose lucas. There are better options/products available. This is an evidence based desicion.
You never answered my question. What are YOUR racing credentials? Memorizing the lable of your Lucas Oil stabalizer bottle doesn't count. Now go out to the garage and drain the pan, because your getting defensive and paranoid about your uneducated oil selecting decision.

Last edited:
"You can check with NASCAR, NHRA, IHRA, PPL, and USHRA tracks across the country for Lucas records."

Or ... YOU can check with them and then cite those records to back-up your claim that's a top-notch oil.
In the last day or two I stumbled upon a Lucas motorcycle UOA on this forum that looked pretty good. Additive package looked more advanced than the old-school "just add some ZDDP." That's the first impressive thing I've seen about any Lucas product in years and you didn't point me too it ... I had to find it myself.
smirk2.gif

There are things that you have to do it yourselves to understand and believe. I am not here to hold your hands, only to tell you to search for the truth instead of guessing and probably and may be and ..... Besides, you would never believe me anyway.

Bottom line is that those who buy their own oil rarely choose lucas. There are better options/products available. This is an evidence based desicion.

You never answered my question. What are YOUR racing credentials?

Just like I said, your condemnation of Lucas is based on non-scientific evidences and price point, not on proof of performance. My racing credential is irrelevant because I am not trying to sell or put down Lucas. Lucas's racing records speak for themselves. Unlike you, I do not believe that the UOA/VOA on this board really say anything about the performance of Lucas one way or another. Unlike you, I do not believe that because my buds can't win with Lucas then Lucas must be bad. FYI, there are racers outthere losing every day while running Mobil, Amsoil, Redline, RP, Penzoil, etc......

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, here is one you can buy off the shelf and I would stack it up against Lucas any day of the week in a Top Fuel Dragster. One of the finest gentlemen the NHRA has ever known and all he ever used was Pennzoil GT Racing 25W-50.

Is the current Pennzoil GT Racing 25W-50 with API rating of SL the same as the old 25W50 with API SJ rating?

Bottom line is that those who buy their own oil rarely choose lucas. There are better options/products available. This is an evidence based desicion.

You never answered my question. What are YOUR racing credentials?

Just like I said, your condemnation of Lucas is based on non-scientific evidences and price point, not on proof of performance. My racing credential is irrelevant because I am not trying to sell or put down Lucas. Lucas's racing records speak for themselves. Unlike you, I do not believe that the UOA/VOA on this board really say anything about the performance of Lucas one way or another. Unlike you, I do not believe that because my buds can't win with Lucas then Lucas must be bad. FYI, there are racers outthere losing every day while running Mobil, Amsoil, Redline, RP, Penzoil, etc......

????? So you are an expert on racing oil but don't race. You don't believe voa or uoa has any merit. You think that I believe Lucas is keeping people from winning races? You must share the same first name with the owner of Lucas and have the last name of Gump. Good luck with your oil

Last edited:

????? So you are an expert on racing oil but don't race. You don't believe voa or uoa has any merit. You think that I believe Lucas is keeping people from winning races? You must share the same first name with the owner of Lucas and have the last name of Gump. Good luck with your oil

I never said I don't race, only that my racing experience is irrelevant with respect to Lucas oil. Keep reading on this board and "maybe" you understand why UOA/VOAs on this board are just anecdotal information. You admitted that Lucas is only good for towing to the lane and back and not good for racing, which I thought was funny. BTW, I don't believe luck has nothing to do with my oil, may be you do????

I never said I don't race, only that my racing experience is irrelevant with respect to Lucas oil. Keep reading on this board and "maybe" you understand why UOA/VOAs on this board are just anecdotal information. You admitted that Lucas is only good for towing to the lane and back and not good for racing, which I thought was funny. BTW, I don't believe luck has nothing to do with my oil, may be you do????

Now we are getting some where. You have no relevant experience with Lucas oil and racing. I have scientific data and Lucas's own recommendations to racers that they sponsor. You have a box of chocolates.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, here is one you can buy off the shelf and I would stack it up against Lucas any day of the week in a Top Fuel Dragster. One of the finest gentlemen the NHRA has ever known and all he ever used was Pennzoil GT Racing 25W-50.

Is the current Pennzoil GT Racing 25W-50 with API rating of SL the same as the old 25W50 with API SJ rating?

Yes it is. Formulation did not have to change to meet API SL, other than the old SJ was made with a Group I base stock and the SL is made with a Group II+ base stock. Additive package did not change and it still performs as it always did with alcohol or nitromethane.

Above I said: ” YOU can check with them and then cite those records to back-up your claim that [Lucas is] a top-notch oil.”

And your response: ”There are things that you have to do it yourselves to understand and believe. I am not here to hold your hands, only to tell you to search for the truth instead of guessing and probably and may be and ...”

Lame.
whistle.gif
None of us here are going to make your arguments for you. You say Lucas is a top notch oil? Well then post something convincing here that shows us this is the case. All we have seen to date is empty bluster and demands that we seek out records and information ourselves.
smirk2.gif

None of us here are going to make your arguments for you. You say Lucas is a top notch oil? Well then post something convincing here that shows us this is the case. All we have seen to date is empty bluster and demands that we seek out records and information ourselves.
smirk2.gif

"None of us" is quite a bold statement since all you got is a lot of probably and maybe. I never said Lucas is a top notch oil, only that it is not a bad oil proven by the facts that they do win races. Where is your evidence of Lucas is a bad oil consider that pretty much all the VOA/UOAs on this board are anecdotal at best?

Now we are getting some where. You have no relevant experience with Lucas oil and racing. I have scientific data and Lucas's own recommendations to racers that they sponsor. You have a box of chocolates.

So Lucas recommends that you use their oil to tow to the lane and back? Is that your scientific data? Where is my chocolate?

"Where is your evidence of Lucas is a bad oil?"

I never said it was. I said it was ordinary based on everything I've heard or seen (mostly analysis data) in the past 10 years.

And where is your evidence to the contrary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back