Lucas racing oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Im newish here, , so hello all,

has any one got any good/bad comments about

Lucas, heavey duty racing/road oil, in the 20/50 types

they had a stand at a motor show, and i bought 2, 2 gallon drums of the stuff, as it was on offer if cash was paid,

and was little more £,s than the less ..advanced.. sh type oils we can only seem to get,over here

reason i ask, is that it is getting harder to get a decent good quality 20/50 oil over here, [ england ]

cos im running some older cars, with a bit more ..poke.. in them , then i want a better oil than the lower cost stuff on the market,

the guy said that this oil is totally ok in a street motor, is this true!!

any help, is good help

regards Marcus Aurailius

Marcus,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

It's nothing special. If I lived in the UK, I would use this oil.

http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/default.asp

Thanks you Two, the oil is a ccouple of characters higher than the other stuff on the market,

well going by the blurb on the tin

it says exceeds SH, which is what most others in the 20/50 are

and for engines with 2000 hp plus!!!

fortified with an exclusive additive package

gauranteed lower oil temp

reduces oil use

so should be ok then!!

regards Marcus

Yes, a VOA ... virgin oil analysis ... will show you a lot about the oil. Here in the states, there are a number of labs that will do one for about $20US ... maybe 12-15£ ??

Of course, I'd like to know that kind of info before spending money on a product.

My guess is it is a formula not unlike Valvoline VR1 ... a decent quality base oil with boosted levels of ZDDP for reduced high-RPM valvetrain wear.

Lucas is a bit of 'smoke and mirrors' with their oils. They promise the world of their oils, but they are fairly average, and don't really have as much of 'solid pedigree' of sucess to back them....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Lucas is a bit of 'smoke and mirrors' with their oils. They promise the world of their oils, but they are fairly average, and don't really have as much of 'solid pedigree' of sucess to back them....

Not sure where you get your info but Lucas is very well known in the racing circles including the winning circles.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Anyone can make an oil that lasts 500 miles.

Apparently you know very little about oil. Here is a hint, it is a lot easier to make an oil last 5k miles in a passenger car then an oil that will survive 1/4 mile in a 8,000hp motor.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Originally Posted By: wannafbody

Apparently you know very little about oil. Here is a hint, it is a lot easier to make an oil last 5k miles in a passenger car then an oil that will survive 1/4 mile in a 8,000hp motor.

what a load of "crockdile"! Most of these "so-called" 1/4 mi engine gets a rebuild after a couple of races so what's to do with oil in this case? Are you simply speculating that using non-Lucas racing oil it's gonna explode?

You must have been watching too many Syntec commercials lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1j4MV1n3I

Bottomline: I don't see a whole lot of difference from Lucas "racing" oil from many other boutique oils out there (try Amsoil for a change). Also: I don't believe engine's gonna suffer that much if you choose the right viscosity motor oil spec'ed for the engine to begin with.

Ever tried Shaeffer?

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: wannabes

what a load of "crockdile"! Most of these "so-called" 1/4 mi engine gets a rebuild after a couple of races so what's to do with oil in this case? Are you simply speculating that using non-Lucas racing oil it's gonna explode?

The oil in these 8000hp engines (18-20 quarts) are replaced after every single run. These engines will explode if you run your standard passenger car oil that is designed to last 5K in your car. My point is Lucas knows more about oil than pretty much all the wannabe racers on this forum. There are a lot of assumptions on this board about Lucas oil with very little or no scientific fact to back it up.

thanks for all your replys M,Ladds,

one thing that i have noticed, is that the ..oil .. is very black after a short time, but still fairly thick, even when hot.

does all racing oils go black fast !!!

its a very dark colour to start off with though,

regards Marcus

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: wannabes

The oil in these 8000hp engines (18-20 quarts) are replaced after every single run. These engines will explode if you run your standard passenger car oil that is designed to last 5K in your car. My point is Lucas knows more about oil than pretty much all the wannabe racers on this forum. There are a lot of assumptions on this board about Lucas oil with very little or no scientific fact to back it up.

The Top-Fuel engines are rebuilt after every race. I have one of the pistons out of TJ Zizzo's Top-Fueler sitting on my mantle. They only last one race. And many of them don't even do that.

"They promise the world with their oils, but they are fairly average."

That is the consensus on this forum about Lucas after discussing the brands for nearly a decade now. If anyone has any technical info to offer to counter this assertion, please bring it. Bluster on this board proves nothing and is quickly forgotten.

I think Marcus Maximus will get good service from this oil but it isn't even in my top 10, let alone top 3. Probably a Group I or II with extra ZDDP (conventional) or Group III mineral for synthetic ... again, with a little extra ZDDP. Nothing particularly innovative or special.

Generally, when an oil that is known to be current (not 20 year old stuff found in an old barn) turns black inside a motor right away, it is removing gunk left over from previous oils, neglect, etc ... You might also have excessive blow-by from worn rings ... in which case oil will often be found in the air filter(s).

You never said which application you bought this oil for? Street? Club racer? Production-based engine? A few of us here in the States might have even heard of it.
wink.gif

The only racers I see tooting the horn in favor of Lucas are those with sponsorship help from them. The voa/uoa from this board tell the story. Products are average at best. Talk to guys that pay their own way and buy their own oil. Won't see many Lucas users there.
On a side note: Just because they sponsor NHRA racing doesn't mean that its run in many cars. Most filters are System 1, although the offical oil filter is Fram.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Probably a Group I or II with extra ZDDP (conventional) or Group III mineral for synthetic ... again, with a little extra ZDDP. Nothing particularly innovative or special.

See what I mean??? A lot of "probably" and "may be" but very little scientific proof to show for.

Originally Posted By: lsxjon
The voa/uoa from this board tell the story. Products are average at best.

UOAs and VOAs from this board are anecdotal at best. They do not tell you the whole story about any oil or any engine for that matter. You must be one of those that believe oils are proven right here on the internet.

No, I trust wild unsubstantiated claims made by the manufacturer looking to turn a profit.

Originally Posted By: lsxjon
No, I trust wild unsubstantiated claims made by the manufacturer looking to turn a profit.

How do you know they were unsubstantiated? Have you been to a race track or do you spend all day on the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back