Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak in the fall when I had semi-synthetic oil in. It slowed down oil consumption alil not much but it did reduce engine noise and increase oil pressure which caused some problems in my old engine but mostly it cleaned and I had to change the oil at the end of November. Some of what it advertises worked but it didn't seem to stop leaks enough to recommend it.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Dyusik

KV wise LOS>SAE70.

Didn't know that.
There was a collapsed 55 gal drum of the stuff behind the fire safety testing station with a few gallons left in it, but I didn't know what it was for so I didn't lift it.
Annoyed now.

I know that you are a tropical-dwelling connoisseur of the thick stuff, but do you really wanna mess with oil with no additives?
Are you thinking to just add a bit to other oil for thickening or to run it straight?
I guess free is free...

How much are you consuming and how? I can't believe this hasn't been asked yet!

1. How many quarts of oil do you add, and how often?

2. Do you notice any symptoms that would explain where the oil is going? Leak, valve stem seals (start-up puff of blue smoke), blue smoke all the time while driving, etc.

//

LOS is a waste of money. There are no ifs ands or buts about it. If you want to experiment with a thicker oil, then buy a thicker oil.

MMO is also essentially a waste of money. If you suspect a stuck oil control ring, then there are better ways to try to resolve that, instead of playing backyard chemist.

As an aside, I purchased an '88 Ramcharger almost a decade ago as a project/winter truck for $500. It ran great, but had some issues. One of the issues was an empty PS reservoir. I didn't realize until the PO started it up and it began to squeal. I added a full bottle (a pint???) of Lucas PS Stop Leak, which filled the reservoir to full. Squeal went away, PS operated normally, and over the next several months while I had it, it never lost level or gave me issues. This was during late fall, early winter - temps in the teens (F).

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Lucas Oil Stabilizer is just thick oil with no additives.

thus I call it a "subtractive" (the opposite of additive)...it dilutes the additives in your oil, only adding viscosity.

smirk.gif
That's pretty good there. A subtractive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Dyusik

KV wise LOS>SAE70.

Didn't know that.
There was a collapsed 55 gal drum of the stuff behind the fire safety testing station with a few gallons left in it, but I didn't know what it was for so I didn't lift it.
Annoyed now.

I know that you are a tropical-dwelling connoisseur of the thick stuff, but do you really wanna mess with oil with no additives?
Are you thinking to just add a bit to other oil for thickening or to run it straight?
I guess free is free...

Probably wouldn't in fact have used it (which is why I never bothered to check it out and/or bottle it), but I should perhaps have kept some "just in case". The car suffered some bearing damage a while ago due to my stupidity so if it started to show symptons I suppose this stuff might have been a band-aid.

I have used Wynns Viscosity Improver (Golden syrupy additive stuff, doesn't seem to exist any more in that form from a quick Google though thry make other stuff) many years ago when my Renault 5 failed an MOT test due to "visible smoke", but I also changed the oil (Castrol GTX 20/50, in Scotland, in the winter, so not noticably tropical, but fashions change) cleaned out the crankcase breather, and got a different MOT tester.

The replacement of the MOT tester was probably the most important factor, since there's huge tester discretion in the British MOT test, one of the reasons its such a pain in the arse.

IF I used the LUCAS stuff it would almost certanly have been as an additive, unless it was a temporary fill to get through a test.

I intended to remove the Wynns-thickened stuff after passing the above test, but I don't think I ever got around to it, since it didn't give me any problems.

I have no idea what the viscosity would have been but I was starting with 20W/50, and this was Scotland, in the winter, which I suppose is another reason why I'm unconvinced of the necessity for skinny oils if marginal fuel economy gains arent of much interest.

Probably wouldn't in fact have used it (which is why I never bothered to check it out and/or bottle it), but I should perhaps have kept some "just in case". The car suffered some bearing damage a while ago due to my stupidity so if it started to show symptons I suppose this stuff might have been a band-aid.

I have used Wynns Viscosity Improver (Golden syrupy additive stuff, doesn't seem to exist any more in that form from a quick Google though thry make other stuff) many years ago when my Renault 5 failed an MOT test due to "visible smoke", but I also changed the oil (Castrol GTX 20/50, in Scotland, in the winter, so not noticably tropical, but fashions change) cleaned out the crankcase breather, and got a different MOT tester.

The replacement of the MOT tester was probably the most important factor, since there's huge tester discretion in the British MOT test, one of the reasons its such a pain in the arse.

IF I used the LUCAS stuff it would almost certanly have been as an additive, unless it was a temporary fill to get through a test.

I intended to remove the Wynns-thickened stuff after passing the above test, but I don't think I ever got around to it, since it didn't give me any problems.

I have no idea what the viscosity would have been but I was starting with 20W/50, and this was Scotland, in the winter, which I suppose is another reason why I'm unconvinced of the necessity for skinny oils if marginal fuel economy gains arent of much interest.

Not to pry into your personal life, but could I ask where in Scotland you lived?
Your post got me curious enough to google around a bit and I was very surprised to find that the record low temperature for the British Isles is -27C/-17F at Braemar, Scotland. I knew that those isles are significantly warmed by the Gulf Stream, but that record temp would not be very unusual at my house and more or less expected where I have a ski place (I have already seen -16F this season and missed -29F by one night when I chose to ski on a Sunday instead of Saturday).
I read an article some years ago that claimed that the British Isles would have a much more challenging climate if the Gulf Stream were to fail somehow, and the stream is largely driven by cold, dry winds from Canada causing evaporation in the Atlantic...the saltier water then tends to sink and warmer surface water from the South is drawn in to replace it. Strangely enough, a warming trend in Canada could cause the UK to get much, much colder.
By pure chance, I had a good friend originally from Taiwan also attend school in Scotland (I think you have said before that is why you were there). He was not very fond of the area, but used his very considerably holiday/break time to explore Europe and had some really amazing experiences. I'm not sure how well the year he spent in Scotland worked for him academically as he still had to put in 4 years in the US to get his bachelor's, but I have to admit that I always envied how much time he got to spend hoboing around some wonderful countries when he was still a young man.

I lived in Lanark and Edinburgh, apart from a year spent living in my car in Aberdeen while doing a Masters course. Those are East coast so less affected by the Stream. Colder but not so wet.

Yeh, its not "cold" by the standard of many places in the US, but its bloody cold compared to where I live now and noticably colder than it was when I lived in London.

Certainly it regularly reaches sub-zero temperatures that have posters on here asking "should I change from 5W30 to 0W20 to avoid my engine turning into a bag of bolts" AND being told Yes They Should. Immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back