Lucas and cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ

Anyone had problems with Lucas fuel additive causing hard starting in extreme cold like -15f?

Had some car troubles last week though it started at -16f then but due to those troubles I put in some used fuel injectors that had been dry for a decade. Figuring they could use a little TLC and Lucas being about the best available on a shelf locally I used it, ended up slightly overdoing the dosage about 8oz. to 21 gallons. After seeing what the temps did to the rest of the quart I wondered if the Lucas could settle out and clog injectors and fuel filter.

The "new" injectors did solve the rough idle it had last week, car is very high milage so the original injectors I believe were leaking, car was much improved till this cold snap.

My other suspicion is possibly water in fuel, as the pump at the station was extremely slow when I fueled up monday. We had a warm snap for a few days and then the temps dropped literally 50degrees in 24 hours which is when the no start presented.

Once I get it started the plan is to put some miles on it get some of that fuel out of it and dilute. Probably break down and hit a station with E10 in hopes of that helping with any potential water issues.

Last edited:
No problems for me -35C last week.
My truck was at the airport all weekend and fired right up.
I use slightly more than the recommended dose too.

No problems for me either last February when I was up north in Wisconsin. It was -ll deg F one morning there and car was outside overnight.

I use Lucas every time I buy fuel.

Put some IsoHeet in it and warmed it up some and finally got it started, been completely fine since.

My best guess at this time is it was water not the Lucas. Only reason the Lucas popped into my head as a possibility is seeing what the rest of the bottle did at -15f.

Just an update. It must have been water because more recently it started at colder temps with Lucas in the tank.

I collect those 5.25oz Lucas bottles and fill one with Lucas from a gallon jug and fill another with rubbing alcohol I buy at the store. I usually use both at each full fill up to lubricate and get ride of any water that might be in there. Love those heavy duty bottles.

DJ - The Lucas is WAY diluted with fuel - the thickness noted at cold temps is not a problem. The cold weather is.

Dyoel - Be careful about that rubbing alcohol. I never saw straight alcohol, but always a mix with water in it. 70% is the strongest that I've seen for rubbing alcohol, with 30% water.

I think top oil only helps w/cold. Put some Lucas in a jar next to a jar of 2 cycle oil in the cold. I suspect the better base oil in the 2C will show. imo, 2 cycle is the only top oil that has any quality to it's formulation.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Dyoel - Be careful about that rubbing alcohol. I never saw straight alcohol, but always a mix with water in it. 70% is the strongest that I've seen for rubbing alcohol, with 30% water.

I'm careful. Only 5.25 ounces go into a full tank so its still less than a bottle of Heat or whatever water remover you buy off the shelf.

Guys, you can also find 91% rubbing alcohol on the shelves in pharmacies and pharmacy departments of most large stores. It is more expensive than the 70% variety, though.

But the stuff sold for automotive use as 'dry gas' is 100% (I believe).

I vary my additives from tank to tank. One tank some MMO, next tank nothing, next tank Lucas UCL, next tank isoproponal, next tank nothing, etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back