Lucas 75w90 syn. Whats everyones take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

there isnt a ton of unbiased info on this stuff out there. I'm not talking about their oil aditives, but their "high perf" gear lube.

I put some in the front and rear of the jeep, and it seems to be running excellent in there. The LSD is as happy as ever.

There was a gear oil test, that showed that it didnt perform well, but neither did royal purple, or redline for that matter. And over have the lubes failed more than one category.

How are these tests related to the real world, are they just used to push product, and has anyone used the stuff, heard anything bad?

Thanks.

I have used the Lucas gear oil in a couple of old John Deere garden tractors. They have straight cut gears and tend to be noisy. After using the Lucas, they are running much quieter.
The stuff seems to really cling to the gears, and seems to leave a very thick film.
I don't know about the tests, but it is working well for me!

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Hi guys,

there isnt a ton of unbiased info on this stuff out there. I'm not talking about their oil aditives, but their "high perf" gear lube.

I put some in the front and rear of the jeep, and it seems to be running excellent in there. The LSD is as happy as ever.

There was a gear oil test, that showed that it didnt perform well, but neither did royal purple, or redline for that matter. And over have the lubes failed more than one category.

How are these tests related to the real world, are they just used to push product, and has anyone used the stuff, heard anything bad?

Thanks.

That test you are talking about on gear oils wouldn't be found in my house unless it was on a roll next to the toilet. That is about all it is good for(IMO). I don't believe the results in that paper on gear oils I don't use/like never mind on what it says about RP and the others I do like/use. Highly suspect results for some of the oils in the test that vary significantly from mfg's posted data.

If the Lucas stuff works for you then run it and ignore what some competing company tried to tell you about it while trying to push their product on you as the best. I have not heard much about it at all, good nor bad to be honest, but overall Lucas seems to be a decent company making decent products with a loyal following. You don't get that reputation making poor products.

Last edited:
I have a 2002 4.0L V6 Ford Explorer with the limited slip rear differential. These diffs call for fully synthetic (explicitly called out by Ford) 75W-140 gear oil and 4oz of friction modifier. These diffs are known to make a high pitched whirring sound as the age and wear and there is a TSB on the issue.

Ford switched the gear oil to a fully synthetic 75W-90 during production for a time for improved gas mileage but quickly went back to the fully synthetic 75W-140 as the thinner gear oil lead to the whirring happening sooner and louder.

I had ~62,000 miles on the truck when I changed the diff oil for the first time. I picked up some Lucas fully synthetic 74W-140 gear oil that was stated to already have the limited slip modifier in the oil.

The Lucas did not perform well in my trucks differential. There was much chattering of the limited slip clutches when the truck mad a turn, and it was very bad when the vehicle was cold. The rear diff was getting a louder and I was getting concerned that I was starting to get the dreaded diff noise issue.

I drained the Lucas and replaced it with Amsoil fully synthetic 75W-140 Sever Gear oil. I also added 4oz of the proper friction modifier as I wanted the chatter to go away for good.

With the Amsoil and friction modifier there is no chatter unlike the noise with the Lucas. Additionally the diff is *quiet* and makes no noise at highway speeds which is strictly attributable to the better Amsoil functionality. The Amsoil performs much better in my Explorer rear diff than the Lucas did.

Rumple

hmmm, It seems to run well in the jeep, and I actually contacted Lucas, and they said to be on the safe side, add the additive. Maybe that was the cause of your issue. who knows?

Sorry rumple, all you needed to do is add LSD additive to the Lucas gear oil. It, like many LS gear oils, tends to be under dosed. LSD additive needs to be dosed per the application always regardless of what the bottle says.

For its cost, I wouldn't use it. But, 30k/2yr maintenance intervals, it or any gear oil would work well.

Pepboys clearanced much of their lucas oils the other year. When one of my friends, seeing it on the clearance cart @~$3/quart, called about it, I told him to buy it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back