Lucas 10w30 NOACK off the charts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
peterdes: What is this form you posted. Pretty much tells the whole story, huh? A few years old, but interesting.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
peterdes: What is this form you posted. Pretty much tells the whole story, huh? A few years old, but interesting.

Here it is. Industrial Division contains the MSDS, PDS, and the Volvo PDF's.

Royal Purple

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

NOACK for PP 10W-30 is 9.7% and Valvoline SynPower 10W-30 is 8%.

It's really hard to beat those two for the money.

It really is. Two very good oils.

Maxlife full syn is 7%

Originally Posted By: CompSyn

What's up with GTX? Is it already a GF-5 formulation perhaps?

ATMNOACKPourPointComboSM.jpg

GF-5 actually allows higher volitility, iirc.

Motorcraft looks pretty good as a value leader.

I'm not sure how it's possible for GTX, a grp II+ at best, to have a NOACK that low.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm not sure how it's possible for GTX, a grp II+ at best, to have a NOACK that low.
The Chemists were thinking with their dipsticks Jimmy!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

That's interesting. Do you know what the GF-5 NOACK limits are?

That NOACK of Lucas is absolutely dreadful. I'm surprised half of oil doesn't evaporate as soon as you unscrew the lid to the bottle.

Originally Posted By: brian12
http://gf-5.com
Another reduction in zinc and phos. Looks like they are gonna force older cars off the road.

That started already when they declared SM rated oils.

I think it will just create a niche market for small engine lubricant companies like Amsoil. They will come out with product lines designed specifically for this market and because the cars won't be under warranty, they don't have to worry about boasting API certification.
thumbsup2.gif

Old cars are here to stay, and my '89 Cabriolet & Austin Mini are no exception!
wink.gif

I have Lucas 5W-30 in one of my Explorers. With over 5,000 miles on the oil, the level on the dipstick has not dropped. Not sure if there is a big difference with the 10W-30 but if 40% is remotely true something should have been happening.

Btw the engine is smooth, quiet and MPG is at least as good as the other synthetics I have used in this vehicle.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn

That's interesting. Do you know what the GF-5 NOACK limits are?

I skimmed over gf-5.com and found this:

“Controlling oil consumption (keeping oil in the engine) is necessary to ensure proper engine performance and oil consumption is related to oil volatility. The GF-5 standard for oil volatility remains at the GF-4 level of 15% maximum. Oils wanting the ILSAC Specification must meet this volatility requirement.

Other factors influencing oil consumption include engine age, engine design, and proper maintenance.

Oil volatility is directly related to the selection of proper base oil components and not additives.”

Is there something I’m missing?

Lucas will evaporate quickly just as Mobil 1 ext will cause rapid wear due to poor four ball wear testing. FWIW, we just got done testing some n/a drag engines and the Lucas 0-20 pro stock oil was worth 8 hp over amsoil dominator 5-20.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
I have Lucas 5W-30 in one of my Explorers. With over 5,000 miles on the oil, the level on the dipstick has not dropped. Not sure if there is a big difference with the 10W-30 but if 40% is remotely true something should have been happening.

Btw the engine is smooth, quiet and MPG is at least as good as the other synthetics I have used in this vehicle.

The NOACK test is done at 302 degrees (F) oil temp. If what I've read is correct, many street cars don't see 212 degrees (F) oil temp, which is considered to be normal operating temperature.

I wonder what the volatility of these same oils would look like at normal operating temp?

But if an oil is 40% volatile @ 302(F), would it still be significantly more volatile @ 212(F) than the other oils? Is that safe to assume?

Regardless 40% volatility @ 302(F) does not meet current GF-4 specs.

Also, it could be that you wouldn't notice that big of a consumption issue in normal street driving with 3-to-5k OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back