Lubromoly Voll Synthese 5/40, 7414 miles - 1997 VW Passat VR6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking on these boards for a while now, and have finally had a UOA performed on my 1997 Passat GLX - 2.8L 12v VR6

This is my first UOA, and the first time this vehicle has seen an oil change interval greater than 5,000 miles since I purchased it. It was purchased with 91,000 miles, and had been maintained at a local dealer using VW factory maintenance schedules. Since I've owned it, I've been using either Lubromoly Voll Synthese 5/40, 0/40, or Mobil1 5/30, 10/30, and 0/40. I have always used Hengst oil filters. The engine has seen over 100k miles using a K&N panel filter, though I've recently gone back to using a paper filter as the rubber seal around the K&N filter began to deteriorate. The engine has also had the ECU remapped (ignition AND fuel maps have been adjusted, redline raised to 7300) for at least 120,000 miles.

The car is used daily 46 miles each way to work, and is the vehicle used for most weekend tasks. Sample was in the vehicle during some of the coldest weather New England has seen in a very, very long time. Periods of -20 (overnight low) to 20 (afternoon high). At least a dozen or more commutes with the temperatures below zero - oil temperatures in the 180s to 190s, and rarely above 200F. Additionaly, my coil-pack was causing misfires in the #1 and #6 cyliders. I replaced the coil-pack in the middle of the test interval. Could the cold and the mis-fires explain slight gasoline contamination, which in turn may have caused the lead reading to be a bit high? I've re-filled with the same oil, and plan to re-test at 7500 miles. I'll post the results when I get them.

Blackstone Laboratories Test

1997 Passat - 2.8L VR6
Lubro Moly Voll Synthese 4/50

Mi/Hr on oil: 7,414 miles (approx 3 months service)
Mi/Hr on Unit: 234,074 miles
Sample Date: 03/07/04
Make-up Oil: 1.5 quarts

Comments:
"Since these 2.8L VW engines tend to be bullet proof, we doubt the higher than expected lead found in this sample is from worn out bearings, but it may show the minor gas contamination. If it has been showing up in the oil before now, it may be the babbit at the bearings. The gas contamination may be unavoidable if you operate the engine in-town and the oil isn't getting up to temperature. All the other wear metals read perfectly after 7,414 miles on the oil. The TBN was 4.4, so there is still active additive left in the oil."

Key: samp [univ avg]

Aluminum 4 [5]
Chromium 1 [1]
Iron 15 [23]
Copper 2 [5]
Lead 12 [2]
Tin 1 [1]
Molybdenum 4 [41]
Nickel 1 [1]
Manganese 1 [4]
Sliver 0 [0]
Titanium 0 [0]
Potassium 0 [1]
Boron 89 [62]
Silicon 4 [5]
Sodium 3 [5]
Calcium 1938 [2027]
Magnesium 383 [273]
Phosphorus 772 [765]
Zinc 905 [910]
Barium 0 [10]

SUS Visco @210: s/b 60-76, actual 70.7
Flashpoint: s/b >395, actual 380
Fuel: s/b Antifreeze: s/b 0%, actual 0%
Water: s/b Insolubles: s/b
TBN: 4.4

Thoughts? Comments? Do you think that this oil is a good candidate for 7,500 mile change intervals?

Chris

[ March 13, 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: f1forkvr6 ]

That looks like a very robust oil, TBN was very nice and it is still a 40 weight even with possible fuel contamination, definitely good for 7.5K miles intervals.
I would not worry about the lead till it shows up high again at the next analysis.

On a side note, universal averages for iron seem to be high, is it normal for this engine?

I saw the UOA one on the VW Vortex, but all it seemed to do was confirm that 5/40 is a good weight for the VR6.

The A4 UOA seems to show that some lead does does appear "normal"(?) in the VWAG 2.8L 6cyl engines. Thanks for the links.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=403209

Iron - 5 (bearings, cylinders, block)
Chromium - 0 (Piston Rings)
Lead - 0 (Alloyed with bearings)
Copper - 6 (Alloyed, Oil Cooler)
Tin - 0 (Alloyed)
Aluminum - 2
Silicon - 1 (Dirt from Intake)
TBN - 6.5
Oxidation - Viscosity - 14.1

I'll say one thing, the Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 did an outstanding job here for 9,000 miles. I'm really going to reconsider Valvoline after looking at these numbers. This has be be one of the best reports I've seen period. Stayed in grade 40wt, still lots of TBN left, 5 iron, and 0 lead WOW!
shocked.gif

I'll be posting a UOA here in a couple of months on my VR6, but only about 5,000 miles worth of usage on a M1 mix. I want to see if I have any coolant in my oil since I've never done a UOA.

[ March 13, 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Bobert ]

Not sure about the Universal Average for Iron. I haven't seen too many VR6 UOAs in these forums. Perhaps somebody can shed some light on this?

** OFF TOPIC **

Mr VR6, will you e-mail me to discuss you cars ingnition system please. I have a question regarding the coil.

I also have a 97 Passat and it seems to start running rough once it heats up and Im wondering if this is related to the coil.

Thanks.

Yeah, I've been impressed by Synpower because just about every UOA on it I've seen has been impressive. The only bad rap it has received, as far as I can tell, is along the lines of "it's a Group III" or "Valvoline sucks" (while the excellent UOAs seem to get ignored). That said, it does shear in the 1.8T, but then, I haven't seen a large spread oil not shear in that engine.

[ March 14, 2004, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: VeeDubb ]

Considering the milage, and the winter conditions- this is a great report. Those numbers are not high at all. I expect your lead will be way down next sampling. Welcome to the board

welcome.gif

Thanks for the welcome, and the comments. This board is a wealth of information!
worshippy.gif

I'll be sure to post back with the next report.

Vr6s are notorious for the coilpack semi-failure(misfires on humid days, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if the lead from the sample is from fuel contamination due to the coilpack issue.

Yup - did the epoxy fix, and it worked for a while. Eventually one side of the plastic case began to peel, and allowed 2 sides of the 1/6 coil to rust. New BWD (Beru in Borg Warner packaging) CP from Pep Boys did the trick.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
** OFF TOPIC **

Mr VR6, will you e-mail me to discuss you cars ingnition system please. I have a question regarding the coil.

Sent PM 3/14. See Tyrolkid's response for verification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back