LubroMoly MoS2 unbiased butt-dyno results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Or to borrow a phrase "We've secretly replaced her regular coffee brand with Folger's crystals. Le's see if she notices."

I was up at 4:30am (don't ask) Sat. and remembered I'd put the wife's car up on ramps to change the oil Friday evening (ended up passing out from exhaustion at 8pm). So since I had a few hours until work and she'd need the car later in the day, I changed her oil (2.slow '06 Golf).

Previous fill was M1 0w40 with a NAPA Gold filter. This fill was the same with the addition of a can of MoS2. Finished the oil change and let the car idle for about 5 minutes while I cleaned up my mess and checked for leaks. I went and filled it with gas for her, bought a pack of smokes, and then took it for about a 15mi ride. Noticed that it seemed "perkier"/more rev-happy towards the end of my drive.

Went home, parked it and went about my business. Didn't tell her I'd changed the oil. When I got home from work she asked "Did you do something to my car? It seems to have more get-up and go. It certainly revs faster and more smoothly." I told her about adding the MoS2 to which she said, "If that's what's made the difference please keep using it. Is it expensive?" She laughed when I told her it was $5/can at NAPA.

Yes it's not exactly a scientific double-blind study, but considering she noticed the difference without knowing what I'd done I think its pretty convincing (albeit anecdotal) evidence that MoS2 is definitely worth the $5 entry fee. She's going to closely monitor the gas mileage for the next few weeks to see if there is a significant change.

Minor Note/Tip: After putting in the can of MoS2, fill the can up with oil and shake/swirl it around and dump that in the engine. There ends up being a lot left clinging to the can and this seems to get most of it out.

Well not a double blind study but single blind. And good enough. I believe it! I love MoS2 and lubro moly is top notch quality moly add'v. Not sure if will improve the mpg noticably; driver habits and traffic conditions have so much to do with that that it might get washed out in the fluctuations.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
+1, not sure about mpg, but gives your butt better filling for sure. Will try LM Ceratec for my next OCI

Ewwwwwwwwwww.
crackmeup2.gif

+1, not sure about mpg, but gives your butt better filling for sure. Will try LM Ceratec for my next OCI

To much information!!!!

I found the product to improve idle quality in an older engine and reduce oil use. It also stopped a mower from smoking, now going on 3 seasons I think. Well worth the $5 admission IMO.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I found the product to improve idle quality in an older engine and reduce oil use. It also stopped a mower from smoking, now going on 3 seasons I think. Well worth the $5 admission IMO.

I believe this "clogs" micro pores in seals and gaskets. Large enough to slow diffusion, small enough to not clog anything.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I believe this "clogs" micro pores in seals and gaskets. Large enough to slow diffusion, small enough to not clog anything.

Interesting thoughts. I was thinking it might fill small scuffs and scratches in the bore? The same way Restore does.

Like a jelly filled doughnut?

But the reality is what if changing the oil itself just made the car feel 'different' enough to make her question the car and start making observations?

Variables, variables! Always the bane of scientific study.

You proved that on a single-blind test, changing the oil and adding MoS2 may cause drivers to feel a noticeable change, suggested improvement, in engine performance and feeling.

Next time add a can of MoS2 a few weeks after you changed the oil. If she mentions something right after you do that, now you've made an interesting point ;>

I heard Metal Slug mention his oil turned to 'mud'(appearance only?) after using MoS2.

At the time I didn't think much of it, but...

I pulled the oil sample to mail in just the other day with the engine sitting for a few hours(4-5?), and it was dark out. The oil that came out for the sample(via the dipstick) appeared 'brown' and full of suspended varnish.

I hadn't seen the oil look that way out of this engine, IIRC, so it was sort of nice to realize if it's what I think it means. I have been doing other things for cleaning up the engine 'moderately' over time, so I don't know if MoS2 did anything for this, but we'll see. I just couldn't help but think of Metal Slug's remark that he thought MoS2 turned his oil to mud. While it's not directly the case, I wonder if the MoS2 plating could actually aid in the 're-suspension' of varnish/carbon/gunk etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back