Lubro Moly's Voll-Synthese 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked-up 5-5 litre jugs of Lubro Moly's Voll-Synthese 0W-40 at a pretty decent price - ~$15/5 liter container, delivered to my door. I was just curious if there was any thing you guys know about this stuff. I have been using M1 15W-50 in my turbocharged Saab. However, I'm concerned about using the 15W-50 during the winter. I have a Chevy pick-up, also, and when the temperature goes below 20º F, I never attempt starting the Saab. I purchased this new stuff so that I could use the Saab, occassionally, when the temperature goes below 20º. Any feedback, positive or negative, will be appreciated - I can always use the stuff in the Chevy!

Zeke, did you buy your LM 0w40 from Motorworks via the internet? I got 6 jugs from them. Haven't used any yet, but I do have a VOA posted on the Virgin Oil Analysis board. *Warning*: there's no moly in it!

Dr. T & Stu, yes I purchased it on-line from Rocky Mountain Motorsports. It was actually $9.99/5-litres, but the shipping brought it up to $15 - still seems like a pretty good price. Guess I'll have to go back through the VOA's and see what the spec's are. Why would they call it Moly if there's none in it?
frown.gif

Once again, Lubro-Moly is just a trademark. Most of their modern oils have zero moly in them
twak.gif

20'F is nothing. You will have zero problems starting your SAAB with the 0W-40 down to much lower temps.

I have been using LM 5W-40 in my SAAB with good results (see UOA section). It is very high quality German-made PAO based oil. The 0W-40 seems to have a very high level of ZDDP, too
gr_stretch.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mph:

quote:

Originally posted by zeke:
Why would they call it Moly if there's none in it?
frown.gif

I don't mean to ruin your day, but Castrol isn't made with castor oil anymore, either. And don't get me started on Grape Nuts cereal.

mph,

I found Grape Nuts to be really hard on my camshaft lobes!!!
grin.gif

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to do some more reading and maybe check out some of the VOA and UOA threads. I'm not a tribologist but do have a background in mech. eng. (thermo/fluids), inorganic chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Oh, vvk, it was Motorworks, not Motorsports. I bought it about a month ago - they were running a special internet sale. Guess I lucked out. I have to admit - I really think the M1 15W-50 works very well in my turbocharged 9000. I'm running pretty high boost pressures (24 psi, peak) and it seems that when I was using Royal Purple 10W-30, I'd use about a little over a quart between changes (5k miles). With the 15W-50 it barely goes down at all between changes. It's due for a change and I'll probably send it out to Blackstone and report back to you, thanks again.

Yeah, older SAAB engines like thicker oil. My 1986 900 engine is so quiet and smooth with a 50/50 mixture of 10W-30 and 20W-50 Mobil Drive Clean. With thinner oils I get pretty bad lifter noise. My 1998 900 likes xW-40 oils much better than xW-40 oils. I get slightly better fuel mileage with the thicker stuff, too.

Rocky Mountain Motorsports or Motorworks?

Rocky Mountain Motorworks has Lubro Moly Vollsynthese but it is 5W40 and it is $7.95/liter or $32.95 for 5L

quote:

Originally posted by zeke:
Why would they call it Moly if there's none in it?
frown.gif

I don't mean to ruin your day, but Castrol isn't made with castor oil anymore, either. And don't get me started on Grape Nuts cereal.

fyi..I did a VOA of the 5W-40 a while back and posted the results if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back