Lubro-Moly VollSynthese 5w40 - VW R32, Used: 10,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you guys would be interested in these results.

My thread about this on vortex: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2346206

My VW 502 00 thread on vortex: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1719541

quote:

OK, I got the PDF just now in an e-mail. The results speak for themselves.
smile.gif

I didn't quite go 10,000 miles. I changed it from M1 0w40 at 9,924 miles, and I just drained the oil last weekend at 19,904 miles. Close enough though.
wink.gif

-

Original Techincal Data:

::::::::::::::::::: Pour pt/Flash Pt/TBN/Visc@40C&100C/VI/NOACK
Liqui-Moly 5w40: -41C / 446F / 9.5 / 92.0 & 14.8 / 168 / 7.0

- Anthony

I copy/pasted the whole post, and provided my original post for added information if one wishes.

The picture works for me? Is it giving you a red x?

- Anthony

High Fe seems to be a trait of VW engines - at 7500 miles on LM Voll Synthese my 12v VR6 showed 15ppm, and at 5000 on Gold GC it was 11ppm.

Or Lubro-noMoly as the joke is around here.
smile.gif
Must be residual moly from assembly lube.

How hard do you drive the R32? The reason I ask is because I use the same oil in my 325is with 132k miles and run it very hard, everyday, mostly city driving and sees 7k (chipped) a few times a day (redline 6.5k) I was thinking of changing the oil out tommorow with nearly 7k miles on it.

I'd imagine the high iron to be from the iron block, yeah? The R32 has an aluminum head, also.

As for how hard I drive it, I push it. It has a cold air intake and a GIAC chip - it dyno'd in at 235 fwhp with my old chip, and it should be even higher now.

In another 10,000 miles (read: about 8-9 months!) I'll do another oil analysis and see where the Iron and Aluminum are.

I am happy to see 2.4 TBN still left.

- Anthony

Nice report.

I had thought iron comes from rings, but it stands to reason that if the block and cylinder linings are iron then it is coming from there too.

I believe your engine in an OHC in an aluminum head. The aluminum in your sample would likely be coming from your cam bearings. I have also read that in some engines (like the LS1) the cams throw copper. Sometimes copper also comes from oil coolers or wear in bronze bushings.

I am no expert so you can't rely on my comments, but they might point you in a direction for further investigation.

If you want expert (but not free) commentary, try Terry. You might be lucky to get some comments for free from knowledgeable people like Tooslick.

I'm not going to worry about it, as it's not really that high. Also, I bet that by the next oil change it will be right where it should be.
smile.gif

Al is a bit high, but what's the trend?

Fe is OK - some VW's throw some FE, but this doesn't seem unchecked. Si is marvelous and bearing metals seem decent. K is probably dirt, incidental.

This is a good report.

I really think you ought to try GC (I know everyone is shocked)...I honestly think it would give you better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back