Lubro-Moly 0w40 w/LC, 97 Neon, 9900 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neon Oil analysis Lubro Moly 0w40 SJ w/Lube Control; 5/29/04
Car: ‘97 Dodge Neon 2.0 L DOHC Mtx

As I posted back in January, I forgot to take a sample of the previous drain, which was also Lubro Moly 0w40 SJ, run for ~5700 miles (from 147,006 to 152,723 miles). That should make this sample reliable & representative for this oil in my car. Lube Control used at ~8 oz at fill, ~2 oz every 1000-1300 miles thereafter. Last dose of LC added ~700 miles before drain.

Silicon about the same per 1000 miles as the last two sampled oil changes
BUT: Iron & copper are up - see my conclusion below.

Filled: 3 Jan 04; 152,723 miles
Drained: 8 May 04; 162,647 miles
Miles on oil; 9,924
Make-up oil added; 22 oz, ~2000 miles before drain & sample
Oil filter; AC-Delco UltraGuard Gold UPF-53
Air Filter: Paper Fram CA-3660; installed at 147,006 miles, untouched since

This , compared with the previous two samples of BobZoil (Schaeffer Supreme 7000 10w30 SL). Also note that on BobZoil runs, a K&N air filter was used. LC used in all of these intervals. Analysis by Schaeffer Lab.

Posted as: LubroMoly; BobZoil; BobZoil
Odometer: 162,647; 147,006; 131,824
Miles on oil; 9,924; 15,182; 9,312
Copper: 10; 7; 6
Iron: 10; 4; 5
Chromium: 1; 0; 0
Aluminum: 3; 1; 3
Lead: 1; 0; 1
Moly: 7; 94; 120
Phosphorus: 1339; 809; 1175
Zinc: 1568; 959; 1092
Magnesium: 794; 9; 14
Calcium: 2970; 1882; 2156
Sodium & Potassium: Not tested
% Antifreeze: all tested 0
Fuel dilution: All tested none
% H2O: All at .0
Viscosity: 11.61; 11.03; 10.59
SAE/ISO: all 30W
Sulfur (%)r: 12; 18; 14
Oxidation (%): 19; 21; 11
Nitration (%): 23; 21; 10

My admittedly non-expert conclusions: Even though my wear numbers were still good with the LubroMoly, BobZoil is a better choice for my car. Bear in mind that I got this LM oil at a bargain-basement price($2.75/liter shipped), so it was actually a smidgen cheaper than BobZoil. Note that LM sheared from a low end 40W to a 30W, while the BobZoil stayed in grade. I have the LubroMoly 0w40w/LC in my car now; I’ll probably drain it at ~6000 miles, guess what I’ll refill with? (Hint: I still have 6 qts of Bobzoil 5w30 in the carport closet!)

I have 2 sealed 5 L jugs of the LM 0w40 left- hmm...My brother might like to have it for his Durango 4.7 L.

AIR FILTER: Silicon is so close to previous results with a K&N filter, it looks like a toss-up to me, between paper & K&N on *my* car. This is a surprise to me, your results may vary.
Any questions or comments, go for it. BTW: Has Tim stopped advertising on Bitog? I gotta get to Texarkana & buy a coupla cases of BobZoil!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
BTW: Has Tim stopped advertising on Bitog? I gotta get to Texarkana & buy a coupla cases of BobZoil!
grin.gif

Stuart, Tim decided not to renew his Sponsorship, probably not the volume he desires. I have a new Schaeffer's Sponsor from Michigan that should be on board in a couple weeks and he is willing to ship less that $250 orders. Also if anyone desires to order more $250 or more of Schaeffer's they can contact Bob. He is in the site sponsor section. Remember free shipping on orders over $250.

offtopic.gif

Also MyOilShop (RED LINE) did not renew, so if anyone knows of a good Dealer, let us know. Check the Sponsor Page for current BITOG Sponsors.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Shoulda stuck with Bobzoil!
smile.gif

That's exactly what I thought after seeing the report. Sorta feel like I betrayed the little Neon. Ever notice how great minds run in the same gutter?
grin.gif

On the upside, it looks like there's a strong possibility of a Bobzoil/LubroMoly trade/$ale with a fellow BITOG member.
fruit.gif

My experience with M-1 and Bobzoil (Schaeffers) convinces me it is an outstanding product for the money. I am using it with very good results in two engines and one auto-transmission. It's going to be in the other transmission when I change fluids. I'm also aware there are other excellent lubricants available. I live within 30-35 miles from Bob and I deeply regret he is no longer able to handle orders of less than $250. However, I very well know the products are very excellent ones.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Are you still thinking of selling the Neon or will you be keeping it now?

It looks like it's just now getting broken in good
tongue.gif

Patman, with the price of gas & car payments, keeping the Neon looks like a better choice all the time. The front motor mount was torn/broken on one branch of the rubber "V", & I replaced it yesterday. Car feels so much better when driven now, I couldn't believe it!
grin.gif
Looks like it's best to stick with the original plan, which was to keep it for at least 250,000 miles. Gonna have to replace the timing belt in late summer/early fall- but can do it myself in a day or less, & new t-belt, tensioner, & water pump, plus alt & AC belts, plus radiator hoses, plus new temp sending unit(suspect a minor leak there), anti-freeze & thermostat still add up to less than 1 car payment!

Motorbike, yes, it does seem to be almost broken in now, at only 164,xxx miles!
wink.gif

Gotta put it in the body shop Tues morning- some kind soul backed into the trunk lid ~5 wks ago, no note left, nothing. I didn't realize it had been hit & drove it for almost a week(Mon through Fri), just thought the trunk latch had worked loose & needed adjusting. When I got my tools out late Fri evening-
mad.gif

My cost on the repair- about one car payment(good insurance agent). That really got me to thinking about keeping it, & the new FMM has pretty well salted it away. Now I just gotta get BobZoil back in the crankcase again.

No brainer..Back to the Schaeffer's . You said you have 5W-30 Schaeffer's left over but previously put in the 10W-30?? Where is the silicon values?? Hahahaha LubroMoly= Zero Moly . I remember that from before
grin.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
No brainer..Back to the Schaeffer's . You said you have 5W-30 Schaeffer's left over but previously put in the 10W-30?? Where is the silicon values?? Hahahaha LubroMoly= Zero Moly . I remember that from before
grin.gif
grin.gif

The last time I bought some BobZoil, I got 11 qts of 5w30(had none of that), & a few qts of 10w30 to add to the shelf. I ran 5 qts of the 5w30 in my mother's Grand Marquis over the winter, just had it changed Sat 5/29, went back w/BobZoil 10w30. I now have ~2/3 qt of 10w30, 6 qts of 5w30, & my deal for a Lubro-Moly/Schaeffer trade/$- well, it hasn't fallen through, but it has been delayed. It's for a good cause- nice for families to be together on holidays.

LubroMoly had no Moly
Comin' through the grass.
And even though it was PAO,
BobZoil kicked its ***.
grin.gif

Stuart,

Howya doin? Looks like the Neon is doing great. The secret is really the AC-Delco UltraGuard Gold UPF-53!
wink.gif

BobZoil is very hard to beat.

Take care,

Jack

It always takes some time for the wear pattern to stabilize after switching to an oil with a completely different additive chemistry.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from a single run of the 0w-40. You'd have to run it several times in a row to see the optimum results. The wear rates are certainly fine here in either case....I do think the Schaeffers responds very well to the LC treatments, for reasons I don't fully understand.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/dixie_synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back