Lubing old ratchets with C Clip retainer?

I have a few old Craftsman pear head ratchets, US made with the internal C-Clip retainers holding the internals in. I took two apart cleaned and lubed them, put them together and the C-Clip will turn with finger nail pressure on one of them, but holds the wrench together. Prior it the clip was tight. I have internal and external pliers for these types of clips, and used the external pliers to spread them a bit, which helped a little. Most of my better wrenches plates are held together with Torx screws, so they're never an issue. Do you guys replace the internal C-Clips or leave the wrench with the clip easy to turn? I'm wondering if the wrench is going to fall apart under load. Thanks.

They might get bent inwards, so they don't feel as tight as before disassembly. I've done the cleaning thing, and pack the inards with grease. It's more important to do if you use your tools alot on and everyday. I started regreasing ratchets when I I had to buy several a year from being worn out. They wouldn't grab, or ratchet. Sears used to give replacement tools years ago, no question asked. Just bring the old one in and swap it out. But years back if you brought a craftsman wrench back, the would only replace it with their cheaper line of tool which also ,didn't last.

They might get bent inwards, so they don't feel as tight as before disassembly. I've done the cleaning thing, and pack the inards with grease. It's more important to do if you use your tools alot on and everyday. I started regreasing ratchets when I I had to buy several a year from being worn out. They wouldn't grab, or ratchet. Sears used to give replacement tools years ago, no question asked. Just bring the old one in and swap it out. But years back if you brought a craftsman wrench back, the would only replace it with their cheaper line of tool which also ,didn't last.
These tools got a fair amount of use, and needed a good cleaning and lube job. I wouldn't dare warranty them if the need ever presents itself, they're US made. I made that mistake a few years ago when they didn't have the guts for a 1/4" US made ratchet I had. I ended up going home with a POS made in China replacement wrench, lesson learned. I'll try and source the parts to fix these, if ever needed.

So what you're saying is the now easy to turn C-Cilp is not going to pose a problem? Thanks!

Shouldn’t be an issue I have taken apart all my Craftsman ratchets and one or two of them have done that but I I still use them without issue. Might check your local hardware store I think I remember seeing some of those clips at mine a few times before.

Mine still seem tight after removing the c clips. Maybe yours weren't tempered well. If they were mine I'd replace them, they should be a standard size.
What did you use for lube ?

Mine still seem tight after removing the c clips. Maybe yours weren't tempered well. If they were mine I'd replace them, they should be a standard size.
What did you use for lube ?
I used Super Lube in the two wrenches in question. They're working nicely now. I think I'm going to look on Amazon for an assortment of clips. Over the years I've needed them from time to time and had to run around looking for them.

Funny. I ran into this same observation when I lubed my Craftsman and Gearwrench ratchets a few days ago. I chalked it up to there being clean/new lube on everything.

I have a few old Craftsman pear head ratchets, US made with the internal C-Clip retainers holding the internals in. I took two apart cleaned and lubed them, put them together and the C-Clip will turn with finger nail pressure on one of them, but holds the wrench together. Prior it the clip was tight. I have internal and external pliers for these types of clips, and used the external pliers to spread them a bit, which helped a little. Most of my better wrenches plates are held together with Torx screws, so they're never an issue. Do you guys replace the internal C-Clips or leave the wrench with the clip easy to turn? I'm wondering if the wrench is going to fall apart under load. Thanks.
As long as it is in the groove and no side to side movement there is no problem,

As long as it is in the groove and no side to side movement there is no problem,
That's what I thought, however the fit is sloppy and I can spin one of them 360* with ease, and there is some side to side movement. I'm visualizing picking parts of the wrench in question out of the engine bay.

That's what I thought, however the fit is sloppy and I can spin one of them 360* with ease, and there is some side to side movement. I'm visualizing picking parts of the wrench in question out of the engine bay.

Which side of the circlip faces the plate? The rounded one or the sharp edged one?

Which side of the circlip faces the plate? The rounded one or the sharp edged one?
When I take something like that apart I lay the pieces like the plate, clip, pawl/pawls, etc. in the direction in which they came out. I tried both ways thinking I might have put it together wrong. It made no difference.

Did you ever find one? I was taking mine apart since it was skipping and the ring went flying. I’m really bummed out now.
No, all the local hardware stores have them and they look nearly identical, but they're not. It appears mine is a metric retainer, and the local stores have SAE. I'm really not in the mood to order 300 clips from Amazon hoping to find one so I put it together as is. At some point I'll deal with it. I have enough ratchets in my toolbox never to need this one. In fact I was thinking of possibly selling a few, or mailing them off to my son.

No, all the local hardware stores have them and they look nearly identical, but they're not. It appears mine is a metric retainer, and the local stores have SAE. I'm really not in the mood to order 300 clips from Amazon hoping to find one so I put it together as is. At some point I'll deal with it. I have enough ratchets in my toolbox never to need this one. In fact I was thinking of possibly selling a few, or mailing them off to my son.
Dang same here I went to Ace, Lowe’s and Home Depot to try and find one all SAE and when the employees ask and you show them and tell them what you are looking for they look at you like you are talking a different language the guy at Home Depot had no idea what a snap ring was and so I said a circlip like and he looked at me and shook his head. Oh well maybe I can find someone with a donor ratchet or that knows exactly what size it is. Craftsman is sending me a new one but I can’t think of how crappy it’s going to be compared to this USA one.

Dang same here I went to Ace, Lowe’s and Home Depot to try and find one all SAE and when the employees ask and you show them and tell them what you are looking for they look at you like you are talking a different language the guy at Home Depot had no idea what a snap ring was and so I said a circlip like and he looked at me and shook his head. Oh well maybe I can find someone with a donor ratchet or that knows exactly what size it is. Craftsman is sending me a new one but I can’t think of how crappy it’s going to be compared to this USA one.
It sounds familiar, very familiar. I wouldn't dare walk into the local Sears store, I have better things to do with my time. LOL

It sounds familiar, very familiar. I wouldn't dare walk into the local Sears store, I have better things to do with my time. LOL
Yes our Sears has been gone since 2019. My parents want to make a trip to go to Sears lol. The closest is over 200 miles away. Craftsman directly has been very good with warranty though. Got two new ratchets and a screwdriver on the way. My Ace won’t warranty anything neither will Lowe’s so that is my only option I did find it nice they would send me a whole new ratchet over a clip though.

As long as its holding I wouldn't lose sleep over it.. I've heard synthetic super lube grease works very well though I have not used in my ratchets I use lubriplate assembly grease.

Back