Lubeguard vs.Autorx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, should have typed LG (for Lube Gard) just shows you how many similar products there are on the market all claiming similar results some come with Esters, some with solvents, some with Attitude!

I have good results with Auto-RX. By that, I mean that the filter I took apart contained a lot of gunk in it that I have never seen before using the product.

The appealing thing about Auto Rx is that it is slow working. I use it with confidence as it is not a harsh additive to the oil and does not effect the oil's chemistry. I am not an expert, but I research things well in advance of using them.

I have not used lube control so I cannot say anything about it.

Just my two cents! :2cents:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spitty
Sorry, should have typed LG (for Lube Gard) just shows you how many similar products there are on the market all claiming similar results some come with Esters, some with solvents, some with Attitude!

What does it mean to say that some "come with attitude..." Just curious.

Originally Posted By: dickdog1
who here uses Lubeguard or AutoRX?
Who prefers one over the other and why?

Ok based on the responses and the question in my mind when i first read this question, are you talking about Lubeguard or Lube Control vs. Arx?

AFAIK LubeGuard products are all transmission fluid additives/antioxidants. Also products for PS fluids...

Lube Control is engine oil antioxidant additive with mild cleaning abilities. Can also be used in transmission fluid, PS fluid, etc. just not brake fluid.

AutoRx is engine oil cleaning with maybe some antioxidant capabilities additive that can also be used in transmission fluids, PS fluid, etc.

I have and do use all three.

It's kind of difficult to compare Auto-Rx with anything else. I think, to use Auto-Rx you have to get more involved in the process. There is a bit of a learning curve and the results happen over time.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/engine_flush.html

ah, ok, I think this has been discussed before.
I don't see how this flush could work as well as ARx when it is only alowed to circulate for 15 min per directions. Contains no harmful solvents, mmmm, not quite the same as contains no solvents .
Could be good, and other products by this company seem to work as advertised, think the ARx is better though still.

According to what I have read, both of them are good products. Depending on the purpose. I have used ARX to clean my engine as oil additive. It works very well. My Camry runs like new, I am on the 2nd cleaning phase. I have not used Lubegard Engine flush. So I could not say anything about it.

Lubegard products all excellent. ARX excellent. LC also very good. All have their uses. Lubegard makes several different products for engines and transmissions and are very good with lots of endorsements over the years. If I had to choose only one product to use or stock, it would be ARX due to its unique and effective chemistry, but I like and use all 3 brands.

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/engine_biotech.html
Even though not advertised as a cleaner, pick up several bottles and run it for several regular OCIs. You might be surprised how much better your engine runs and sounds.

Lubegard makes great products. But, as with any product, continual usage adds to cost.

I've never had a sludged up engine. Reasonable maintenance intervals with quality oils all by themselves can work wonders.

I also don't see a "vs.". Every product has pros/cons, success/failure stories......

My goal with my cars is to NEVER need ANYthing purchased via marketing.
Biodiesel and kerosene can be had for $4 a gallon. Add 16 ounces for a 10-minute preOCI flush, why ever buy anything with a namebrand?

Lubeguard oil and transmission additives were developed by the famous Phil Landis. It's hard to argue with this guys' reputation. He was the architect of a product called Mobil 1 Synthetic engine oil, the original formula not the current one. You may have heard of Mobil 1. It is widely distributed. I'll bet that even some BITOG members use Mobil 1. Phil Landis also worked with Bill Garmier of Renewable Lube in Ohio. The product is now supported by Pat Burrow a life long lubrication research and test engineer living in Texas. These are technical people. They don't wear purple suits or gold chains and they expect to be in business for the long haul.

Yes, I could not remember his name until you mentioned it here but Dr. Landis was involved in the development of Lubegard. Lubegard for transmissions was actually approved by at least three automakers. I used to see Lubegard all the time at many automatic transmission shops.

I used to use various Lubegard products and I still believe in Lubegard products. I used to use the engine supplement but it was kind of expensive to use all the time. The first time I used the engine supplement I swear the engine seemed to run smoother.

I had a Saturn car that had a power steering unit that made noise (squealed) when it was cold. I tried the power steering supplement and the noise went away for keeps.

I moved away from Lubegard products after I discovered Auto-RX. But Lubegard products are still some of the few supplements that I believe in.

Originally Posted By: dickdog1
who here uses Lubeguard or AutoRX?
Who prefers one over the other and why?

**** - Dawg! After all these years, I don't believe anyone here has actually tried Lubegard oil flush. Maybe you should give it a shot? What do you need to clean?

as undummy says, i just tried out lubegard's bio/tech engine protectant this stuff is something else!!! i have been using their platinum additve to the tranny..excellent products..the engine prot is a friction mod has alot of moly dithio carbamate phos. and no zinc plu s its lxe synthetic lxe wax esters

To get back to the original question, I don't think there is an answer. They are different kinds of products. But it is interesting that both products are product driven and not marketing darlings. Both have long term development paths and are well supported right down to being able to call and get help from real tech people. Barkerman and Larry contacted from this site and Auto-Rx have helped me with Auto-Rx and helped me deal with Audi to get them to pay for an engine for my daughter's A4. Audi agreed with their opinion about the cause of the failure and accepted the documentation to prove that I had the vehicle serviced exactly as required by Audi. Between the uoa's and the tear down inspection I now have a new engine for my daughter's car. An interesting side note. Mechanics in the Audi service center ordered bottles of Auto-Rx and are currently asking Larry about how to use it with a promise not to snitch them out to the Audi service manager that we have been dealing with. He does not smile much and is confused about how oil works. He is an administrator and was not pleased by all the talk about the insides of a failed engine. Auto-Rx actually cleaned up the engine but there was too much wear and tear from sludge. On the tear down the engine looked cleaner inside but the bearings and cylinder walls were worn quite a bit. The compression came up in every cylinder and the oil pressure came up too, but it was too late. I should have used Auto-Rx from the start. I am now using a 4 ounce maintenance dose right away on the replacement engine. You can believe me when I say that in every vehicle I maintain I will use the 4 ounce maintenance dose. Larry says he thinks it will become a future Auto-Rx standard based on his testing with the help of Frank Miller.

So if you're going to compare the two products I would say that Auto-Rx is a working solution and the Lubeguard is a kick in the pants, sometimes needed but definitely different.

Louie's gone fishing,

That is quite a story regarding the A4. I think the cleaning dose of ARX has plenty of kick in the pants performance for my likings. Regarding the 4 ounce maintenance dose, I eagerly await the stats.

I agree that sludge is truely the silent killer in some motors. How many miles were on the A4 when it was noticed that it was suffering from sludge?

Lastly, what oil are you running in the A4 with the 4 ounce maintenance dose?

From the lubeguard link posted:

"Without a flush machine: With the engine warm, check for the proper oil level and add new oil if necessary. Add one bottle of LUBEGARD® Engine Flush and circulate at idle for 10 to 15 minutes. Stop the engine and drain as usual. Allow sufficient time for the system to drain completely. Install new oil filter and refill with new engine oil in the grade and quality level recommended by the manufacturer. For best protection and additional assurance of top performance and reduction in the formation of further sludge and varnish always use LUBEGARD BIO-TECH Engine Oil Protectant (part # 30901) with each oil change"

somehow I dont see this working like auto-rx with just letting it idle for 10 to 15 minutes. Seems to me it would just dump more fuel into the oil letting it idle

"Seems to me it would just dump more fuel into the oil letting it idle"

On modern engines fuel at idle is minimal..besides after the 15 minutes the oil is drained. The harm? None.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back