LUBEGARD will have a NEW Power Steering Fluid just for HONDA in January 2020!

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Glad it is sold by the quart
happy2.gif

This. Especially if you have more one car to maintain.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

What about places where there are no O'Reilly stores?
smirk2.gif

hopefully the product will trickle down to places like Amazon and other authorized resellers like Transmaxx_LLC from eBay, where I got some of my goodies on the cheap.

Originally Posted by discountdon
Glancing at their SDS:

Product name : Lubegard® COMPLETE Synthetic Power Steering Fluid for Honda-Acura
Product code : 24242
Appearance : Transparent yellow gold liquid.
Flash point : 227 °C /440.6 °F (ASTM D92)
Relative density : 0.84 @ 60 °F (15.56°C)
Viscosity, kinematic : 51.2 cSt ( OP assumes it's @ 40ºC )

That tells us nothing about which Honda Fluid this is supposed to cover:

An SDS won't tell you the formulation.

Here is a properties sheet of the original Honda PS-2 Honda PN 08208-99961;

This is the original HONDA PERFORMANCE PS-2 FLUID used in the earlier Hondas and Acuras

Appearance Lt. Pale
Flash, COC, Deg F. 355
Pour Point, Deg F. -40
Viscosity, cSt
At 40 C. 53.75
At 100 C. 11.34 (The Prestone Asian Formula is similar)
Viscosity Index MIN 205
Viscosity, Brookfield cP @ -40C < 64000
Oxidation Stability, D-2272 > 200 minutes
Copper Corrosion 3A Max.
Zn Content, ppm. 1500 - Anti-Wear and Anti-Oxidant from ZDDP (not a friction modifier)
P Content, ppm. 1300 - Anti-Wear and Anti-Oxidant from ZDDP (not a friction modifier)
Mg Content, ppm 580 - See Ca
Ca Content, ppm 220 - The Mg-Ca combo serves as both a TBN adjuster and as a Friction Modifier
TBN, ASTM D-4739 5.0

The newer Honda/Acura PSF PN 08206-9002 PF has the following basic properties:

API Gravity / lbs./gal. 32.6 / 7.18
Flash Point, PMCC ºC 92
Viscosity:
cSt @ 40ºC - 31.4
cSt @ 100ºC - 6.5
Viscosity Index 167
Pour Point, max, ºF / ºC -50 / -45

Check your Honda/Acura Operator's Manual for the correct part number.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Interesting that this company is announcing this new product when everyone is going to electric steering.

this company focuses pretty much entirely on the aftermarket and the automotive service industry. people with late model vehicles under warranty most likely wouldn't even consider their offerings. although this product is kind of limited in scope but it does provide the tens of millions of older honda/acura vehicles a viable alternative than oem, better late than never!

Originally Posted by MolaKule

they state it was engineered for 2007+ model year and up which specs for a synthetic formulation, and is backwards compatible with all older models...

the newer Honda Genuine PSF is definitely thinner in viscosity, this new formulation from LG is comparable to the older Honda Genunie PSF in viscosity

we'll have a better idea on its composition once a VOA is done - if only I can get my hands on some...

Originally Posted by MolaKule

...the newer Honda Genuine PSF is definitely thinner in viscosity, this new formulation from LG is comparable to the older Honda Genunie PSF in viscosity

we'll have a better idea on its composition once a VOA is done - if only I can get my hands on some...

Only when a VOA is done will we know for sure. With no listing of a complete set of oil properties we can only speculate.

I've had good success using Bardahl for Honda PSF and then Prestone for Honda PSF in two Hondas, an 01 Civic and 07 Accord, both with original pumps. Well past 150+ thousand miles use between them. Good price, unfortunately both discontinued now. Largely depending on price difference between topic fluid and Honda PSF, I might be interested. If close in price or more than Honda, be a no go for me. So after all the promotion, have to wait and see price.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
...Largely depending on price difference between topic fluid and Honda PSF, I might be interested. If close in price or more than Honda, be a no go for me. So after all the promotion, have to wait and see price.

my guess its either going to be priced close or more expensive than Honda Genuine PSF, because topic fluid is full synthetic with claims of better than OEM...

Prestone made/(makes) a "full synthetic" PSF that was tagged as "Asian" PSF too and ran ~$7 a 12 oz bottle. Apparently it's still available too as the link shows. Amazon has it too for bit more.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Asian-Power-Steering-Fluid-12oz/35764368

Otoh, Prestone for Honda PSF was ~$2.50-$2.80 a bottle. As the two I mentioned worked well for me, going to "synthetic" for significantly more holds little interest for me at this point. I'll have to inquire what local Honda dealers are getting for a bottle of OEM. Looks like Amazon has it for $6 bottle if 3 purchased.

O'Reilly already has a house brand Honda specific PS fluid that is sold by the quart.
I forget the price but it wasn't too bad; maybe $5.
I have used it for several flushes with good results.

Last year I replaced O rings, reservoir and hoses on my 2005 Odyssey along with a complete flush. I used 3 bottles of Idemitsu and 2 bottles of genuine honda. At first it was a huge improvement (especially noise) but steering has gotten harder in the past few months. I honestly think most Odyssey's suffer from poor idle speed turning anyway but I wonder if a better fluid would help.

finally got my hands on some, now off to ALS Labs, will update with VOA upon receipt...

20.gif
thumbsup2.gif

LG's additive package looks pretty weak in comparison to the old Honda Genuine PSF (VOA on page 2)...

Redline has changed their formulation to a much thinner viscosity than their original one...

I think all LG has going for them in this new product is their LXE wax esters and a compatible viscosity for Honda's P/S...

spankme2.gif

LG's additive package looks pretty weak in comparison to the old Honda Genuine PSF (VOA on page 2)...

Redline has changed their formulation to a much thinner viscosity than their original one...

I think all LG has going for them in this new product is their LXE wax esters and a compatible viscosity for Honda's P/S...

spankme2.gif

I think the LG PS fluid looks good in terms of additive chemistry for the older Honda PS spec.

Redline is using their MTF additive package for the PS fluid.

When did Redline reduce their PS fluid to a lower viscosity? Do you have an older VOA to show us?

Last edited:
Back