Lubegard red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive tried this in 2 transmissions now. I am not sure it has done anything, as far as shift feel or quality. In the chevy the flare under heavy throttle is still there for the most part. In the toyota I added a half bottle tonight and just took it for a long local drive but didnt notice much difference, both with fresh maxlife. According to the bottle it cant hurt anything, and it can make the trans up to 40* cooler.

The reviews on amazon make this stuff out to be magical. Maybe I need to give it more time? Put the whole bottle in the toyota?

Lubegard is just a protection method if you have no issues. It is composed of LXE esters, anti oxidants, phos anti wear, and a small amount of friction modifier.

Some people put 2 whole bottles in a system to free a sticky valve body or other similar issue, if you don't have those issues it won't change anything in the feel of the shifts most likely.

Try the whole bottle next time you do a drain and fill.

If its a product from Lubegard you can follow you can follow the instructions and use with confidence. They are a family owned company that makes excellent product, made in America. They don't play games with advertising and have excellent customer help and service. Give the a call.

My transmission once suffered from "morning sickness". Specifically, a slipping and delayed 2-3 upshift issue for the first couple miles of driving , probably due to stiffened valve body seals. I added a bottle of Lubeguard Red around a year ago. I didn't notice any improvements until after 2500 miles. I do not have any problems now. Be patient, it may take some time to notice any improvements.

Last edited:
I have TWO bottles in my 1990 K1500 truck. Along with always fresh Maxlife ATF. Transmission shift great. But, then again, when I bought the truck at 157k miles, it always did.

It isn't clear from the post that the doses you used were what was recommended. IIRC it's 1 ounce LG / quart of ATF.

It can sometimes take a bit to take effect. Case in point was the A4LD trans in my old '91 Ranger (about 80k original miles at the time).

I had done a total ATF change using Mobil 1 shortly after I got the truck. Part of the issue was it had a "reverse bang", i.e., very hard shift into reverse sometimes. The M1 didn't touch that symptom.

One bottle LGR took close to 100 miles to change how it operated. The reverse bang was greatly improved, and shifts a bit smoother.

Trav had said you could add a second bottle (per LG) which I did. That took only about 25 miles to make the reverse bang go away completely. It's still gone to this day, still with smooth shifts.

I also added LG Platinum to my '07 Accord at the 1 oz./qt. ratio and Maxlife synthetic ATF. Trav has measured 15-20 deg cooler trans temps using LG. Given the earlier history of this trans...not an issue by '07 from what I read still...I thought it worth the effort.

As was said, it's top drawer stuff. Some people are ideologically opposed to it, but have with zero experience with it.

Whether it will help your trannys at this point is TBD. It isn't a cure all, and the shift flaring may not be fixed without mechanical intervention. But it's cheap enough to try, for sure.

Like anything YMMV.

Lubeguard is the best of the best, Been using it a long time. I also used LG Platinum in my accord.

If you still feel the flare add another bottle. Dont overfill.

Last edited:
Dosage is 1 ounce added to each quart of ATF capacity.
No need to overdose. And, it doesn't work instantly, and is less noticeable with new ATF.

Resetting the tcu/tcm after a fluid change is a must.

Lubegard is the only aftermarket additive I have ever seen mentioned in writing by a mfgr (Ford). It's great stuff.

Over dosing it may not be a cure for anything, but it really does work.

Thye OP should note that once things are worn and the adaptives are maxed out then you are on borrowed time and no additives or fluids can help you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back