Lubegard Red in both cars & my impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: 94astro
Just changed the fluid & filter in my 1994 Astro van and added 10ozs. of Lubegard red & yes, it make a huge difference in the smoothness of shifting. It has my approval but it could be a combination of new filter, fluid and Lubegard, I'm happy.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I just drained & put in Lubegard RED with 5 qts Amsoil ATF.

Shifts fantastic!

The Amsoil ATF might just be the best ATF one can buy. I doubt the Lubegard was needed or even helped.
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I just drained & put in Lubegard RED with 5 qts Amsoil ATF.

Shifts fantastic!

So, we don't really know if it's the better ATF such as Amsoil or even RedLine ATF for that matter...Or the LubeGard RED, causing these tranny to shift so well?

Did anyone actually try to use the Amsoil ATF alone first(Oh IDK, a week or so) and only then add some LubeGard RED to see if there is any better shifting?

I know that LubeGard has HFM's and other ATF additives(Black Bottle and Platinim Bottle) to be used with other specific ATF's, and the RED is only a conditioner for normal ATF's such as older Dexron ATF's but, does anyone think that the LG RED is needed with something along the lines of Amsoil?

Just asking?
smile.gif

Yes I did!

Ran about 1500 on original, 1000 on original + 5 qts Amsoil ATF for the mix, now the original + amsoil mix drained & refilled with LG RED + 5 qts Amsoil ATF!

I ran & tested ALL THREE scenarios!
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: JT1
If this stuff is so dern great then why aren't the ATF mfgr's putting it in there fluids? I understand there could be licensing issues with some of the products, but maybe Maxlife, Dex/Merc, stuff that isn't licensed anymore?

Because the stuff has proprietary chemistry that LG will not sell cheaply? Or perhaps the mfgr has a vested interest in WEARING OUT your transmission?

Planned obsolescence is nothing new.

There are too many mfgr TSB bulletins out there specifically recommending LG to discount it. It really works.

Technically, doesn't what you propose contradict itself? Either the manufacturers want your transmission to wear out (extremely unlikely) or they recommend using Lubegard. In the case of them issuing TSB's for its use, I can understand the confusion.

Originally Posted By: Chevys_n_Hawgs
If this stuff is so dern great then why aren't the ATF mfgr's putting it in there fluids? I understand there could be licensing issues with some of the products, but maybe Maxlife, Dex/Merc, stuff that isn't licensed anymore?

Seriously, dude?!?!? I don't know where to begin.....

+1 Keep in mind everything is made with a price point in mind, and made to maximize profits at that price point.

Quote:
Did anyone actually try to use the Amsoil ATF alone first(Oh IDK, a week or so) and only then add some LubeGard RED to see if there is any better shifting?

Yes i did and took temp reading with a scan tool before and after, there was a significant reduction in tranny temp.
The unit shifted noticeably better with the product.

No rocket science. Overnight cold, drive the car without lubguard 10 miles, check the temp and log.
Drive the car 50-100 miles to get the product "worked in" and repeat the test using the same route and similar ambient temps.
Ambient temp was a little higher on my test with lubeguard and it still lowered the temp.

Originally Posted By: cchase

Because the stuff has proprietary chemistry that LG will not sell cheaply? Or perhaps the mfgr has a vested interest in WEARING OUT your transmission?

There are too many mfgr TSB bulletins out there specifically recommending LG to discount it. It really works.

Technically, doesn't what you propose contradict itself? Either the manufacturers want your transmission to wear out (extremely unlikely) or they recommend using Lubegard. In the case of them issuing TSB's for its use, I can understand the confusion.

Think about it a minute. And then remember that the average driver doesn't even know what a TSB is.

It's only being used in TSB's due to the fact that it saves the mfgrs money.

Aren't the TSB's kind of old on the LubeGard like, from the early 90's and later, from SAAB?

Are there more recent TSB's from MFG's?

I'm not being sarcastic, I just asking as I am not doing anymore research on LubeGard(haven't in 10 yrs).

Last edited:

Read again. I said ATF as in the fluid manufacturers. In which case why would the ATF producer have any interest in wearing your transmission out.

All this LG Red talk makes me want to run some in my car. Well in my sentra since it's running cheap ATF and has 212,000 miles on the trans.

Not in my toyota's A340E transmission. I did a complete fluid change with GM licensed Dexron-VI. Drained out the "multipurpose ATF" for something that should be in the transmission.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back