Lubegard Bio-tech additive = more noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Then try a 5W40 maybe, it will be thicker both hotter and colder.

+1 I gave up playing oil games and threw a blanket of Rotella T6 5w40 syn over a ticking ticking knocking slapping Corolla. Silenced it almost immediately. Ran into the guy that bought it. Said he switched to a cheap dino and the rapping returned so he quickly switched back to T6 and has stayed with it. He's put 40k on it so far, hes happy, its quiet.

Quote:
That would suggest Lubegard thinning the oil may not the issue. Maybe an oil flow issue on startup? Perhaps a cleanout is needed?

Perhaps the Lubeguard cleaned out some crud that was acting as a clearance filler?

Jack, carbon can cause a heck of a cold knock ask any Cadillac N* owner (extreme example). Some of them are so loud it sounds like a bottom end knock for sure.

Seafoam down a vacuum line does nothing but make smoke from it being burned in the cats, it takes either a good chemical e.g. the original GM top engine cleaner or a top end soak.
You may want to look into it.
Kreen in the fuel may just help this condition also if it is carbon.

Thanks Trev,
When the noise first started in 2010 I thought of carbon knock, I even removed a couple of spark plugs to see how much carbon there was on the piston crowns (there was some). However, 2 back to back techron treatments, exclusively chevron gas, and 2000 miles of moderate to high speed/load highway driving later, there was no difference.
I didn't try Kreen though. Might do it in the future, probably at the end of OCI.

If you think it's carbon knock, how about the most effective cleaner----water. A very small amount atomized thru the intake (behind the MAF if you have one) for a half hour to 45 minutes will give the engine an internal steam cleaning

Originally Posted By: steve20
If you think it's carbon knock, how about the most effective cleaner----water. A very small amount atomized thru the intake (behind the MAF if you have one) for a half hour to 45 minutes will give the engine an internal steam cleaning

Yep, and it's cheap!

There are more surprises:

One week of driving later and the oil level is exactly 0.5 qt lower. This is the amount I drained from engine and replaced with the additive. Did the additive burn off?

Anyone else had similar experiences with Lubegard?

Maybe I purchased a counterfeited product (Amazon)?

I've been using Lubegard BioTech for the last 20k,
and have had zero consumption. Engine runs very quiet
and smooth, well, for an Accent anyway.

I googled some and the additive specifically "Lowers oil consumption (especially with long-life oils)" per their website.

Note sure what to make of it. Maybe it's a transient thing.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I googled some and the additive specifically "Lowers oil consumption (especially with long-life oils)" per their website.

Note sure what to make of it. Maybe it's a transient thing.

It could be, how long have you been using it? More than one OCI?

I looked again at the bottle at hand (scanned here):

scanoftheactualbottle.jpg

and the label is different from the picture shown on Amazon (where I bought it):

51KMMqpJiKL._SS500_.jpg

Could it be a counterfeited product indeed? The bottle looks legit, the label is different.

What do you think?

I didn't know about the bottle as you show above, since it apparently is for HD apps.

Lubegard supposedly email corresponded with someone on the site here in another thread and stated the product above is the same as their regular additive.

However, I only have used the normal blue bottle version. A UOA would confirm as moly and phosphorus should increase over the virgin of whatever you are currently running.

PS: My consumption has been the same as before while currently using the LG additive for the first time in this app.

Thanks,
this is not the HD one. This is the regular one, but in a 32oz bottle. I sent email to LG to clarify about the label discrepancy. Will keep you posted.

My quart bottles are like the one in the top photo, and I
purchased them from the manufacturer of Lubegard Bio/Tech, International Lubricants, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back