Lube for small ball bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several very small 2,000 RPM DC fans with ball bearings measuring about I.D. = 3/32", O.D. = 5/16". What would be a good lube to use on them?

The bearings are unsealed and seem to have no lube in them, and there's not even oily residue or dust on the outside.

"I tried some ordinary NLGI #1 lithium grease in a couple, but the motors spun about 20% slower than normal until they ran for a few minutes."

Sounds like you over greased and upon expelling extra grease they ran normal other wise us a good quality ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic or turbine oil.
bruce

I use a 50/50 mix of Green German Castrol and Marvell Mystery oil on my R/C bearings.
They are cleaned and lubed with one drop ( any more attracts dust ) after every race. ( motors ) and chassis bearings after every race day. (10-12 , 5 min runs )

These motors are in excess of 50K rpm, can pull over 100A ( enough load to un-solder FETs in a high end speed controller ) and get too hot to touch after a 5 min run. ( new brushes and brush springs after every run, along with truing the commutator )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back