LTE aka 4G vs VoLte

a smart phone rookie for sure as i recently replaced my 3G flip phone with what i thought would work after the 3G shutdown. phone off e-bay is a new in box sony xperia xz first sold in 2016, originally android 6.0.1 according to the box + pamphlet included. poking around the phone shows it was upgraded to android 7.1.1 + not sure its compatible with the said to be necessary VoLTE networks replacing regular 3G. lots of conflicting info searching + would appreciate any input on what i "thought" was a good deal for me. as i noted before i only talk + rarely at that but was hoping to be able to send + e-mail pics on a cheap MVNO carrier i am + have been looking into to replace my cheep prepaid att gophone that wont do pics without a costly data plan. pics will only be now + then as needed just how i talk

If I remember correctly VoLTE was supported from Android 5 days. It has more to do with whether the hardware and carrier's firmware on the phone support VoLTE. Do you know what carrier firmware is on this phone? Is your MVNO AT&T based?

This link from Sony shows where in the Android OS you can look for VoLTE support.

what i was once told.. 4G is the network, LTE is the faster data end of 4G and voLTE is voice over data.. LTE being your data.

There are voice and data network.

1G, 2G, 3G have voice network and data network element, using 2 separate connections usually as the voice portion tends to be circuit switching. In LTE they started the Voice Over LTE design that the voice is no longer traveling through dedicated voice network instead of being on the LTE as a data packet network. This saves bandwidth as they don't sit around waiting for calls all day and could be used to transfer data instead.

It is mainly a modem (the cellular) part of your phone instead of the Application part of your phone who handles it. Check your phone's model number and see if it support VOLTE, your carrier won't know, nor has to do with which OS it runs.

4G is just a marketing term, ATT used to call 3G as 4G like how they call LTE Advance as 5G, you need to look for VoLTE support / compatibility of your phone.

after chatting with a sony tech he tells me my "bargain" Ebay phone was from Ireland in other words I am SOL. the seller was not listed shortly after the sale when i checked with my Visa bill + listed under another name!!! i got Duped!! he likely knew but as i am still learning he took advantage of my lack of knowledge, live + learn $$$$

The top line needs to show "4G" and/or "LTE" next to the signal bars. Dial a phone call(*). Watch that it still says "4G" it doesn't change to 3G or 2G when connected.

(*) So you won't be charged on a per minute plan, call a free number like 611, a bad number, or some number you know no one will answer.

after chatting with a sony tech he tells me my "bargain" Ebay phone was from Ireland in other words I am SOL. the seller was not listed shortly after the sale when i checked with my Visa bill + listed under another name!!! i got Duped!! he likely knew but as i am still learning he took advantage of my lack of knowledge, live + learn $$$$
Go buy a TracFone... Save yourself the hassles

i will be going to one of the MVNO's with my 2020 motorola moto E phone because i want the ability to send a pic if needed. gotta talk to a MVNO rep or two with questions when my phone arrives today + being retired a wait is no biggie + expected!! since i rarely use a phone a minimal MVNO plan will do.

@dennywires makes a really good point that buying your phone from the service provider guarantees the best compatibility. Otherwise especially for a non-technical user it is a craps shoot.

A really good point.

Also any smartphone, regardless of its SIM or phone service type, can be connected to a wifi network to send and receive emails with pictures.

Just because it is from Ireland doesn't mean it may not support VoLTE. It depends on the model and what modem and its firmware support. The analog part that may not work in the US is the antenna band usually. This is why we have so many iPhone with different compatibilities these days.

Again I ask do you ever see "4G" or "LTE" next to the signal bars?

If you're using a very old Gophone SIM that came with a flip phone, it likely does not have any LTE network access programmed into the SIM. You'd need to get an updated SIM from AT&T.

i will be going to one of the MVNO's with my 2020 motorola moto E phone because i want the ability to send a pic if needed. gotta talk to a MVNO rep or two with questions when my phone arrives today + being retired a wait is no biggie + expected!! since i rarely use a phone a minimal MVNO plan will do.
is the moto e unlocked? also when you decide on a mvno you might have to program the apn setting's to get 4G/LTE MMS settings.

i got a different sim i think at the ATT store, employee asked if he could take phone in back of the store!!! seen a # that was called. surely dont trust those big providers + see where some others were having a "go around" with ATT on what their unlocked bought elsewhere phone could or not do. not being a savy user limits what i can do. the Xperia XZ from 2016 was a top shelf phone + not too bog + well built. i opted for a cheep unlocked moto E 2020 version from motorola said to be compatible with VoLTE + most all MVNO's, it came yesterday + this morning i signed on to Air Voices pay as you go plan, my choice $10 for 90 days + can do Data, as i said i only use when needed, no games or other BS that keeps many staring at the phone!! sim in the mail, wish me luck!!

surely dont trust ATT as others with unlocked phones having a go round with them getting their newer 4G phones to work correctly.i had a new i think sim installed at the ATT store + employee asked to take my sony out back, FISHY! i decided to get an unlocked 2020 moto E from motorola + signed up on AirVoice this morning pay as you go plan 100 min $10 for 90 days, enough for me! i been reading on airvoices site + am aware of setups, called this morning + quickly connected to answer questions, i signed on + rep said call if any help is needed! excuse the samo post i thought i "lost" the first one on an edit

If you were deceived in any way (and you didnt let too much time go by) eBay will refund you.

I think you're making this a bigger thing than it really is.. here are the Plans, Phones

Here's HSN, TracFone deals.. phones come with accessories and mins/data.

If you're not phone tech savvy you can't get any simpler than that.

thanks for the suggestion alarm guy, but have the phone since oct 2020 + i just talk, but as i was looking into being able to send pics-data when ATT wont support on my cheap 10 cents a minute plan + learning about MVNO's on this forum i start searching + learning thru sony that my phone was Irish!. the seller had a different name on my visa than his e-bay listing + is now "gone". prolly partly my lack of knowledge + him taking advantage of it, live + learn!!

Last edited:
surely dont trust ATT as others with unlocked phones having a go round with them getting their newer 4G phones to work correctly.i had a new i think sim installed at the ATT store + employee asked to take my sony out back, FISHY! i decided to get an unlocked 2020 moto E from motorola + signed up on AirVoice this morning pay as you go plan 100 min $10 for 90 days, enough for me! i been reading on airvoices site + am aware of setups, called this morning + quickly connected to answer questions, i signed on + rep said call if any help is needed! excuse the samo post i thought i "lost" the first one on an edit
Exactly!! Don't trust them! AT&T (Cricket) worked perfectly for many years on my OnePlus 5 phone. Four months ago... got kicked-off their network becuase (Their words) "Your phone does not support HD voice & LTE 4g..." Okay Cricket, then tell me why when I went with MINT (3 months and they sucked) all those non-existing features worked on the T-Mobile network??

Bottom line.... Be careful what phone you buy today. Motorola seems to have a very high compatibility rate vs. these high-end Chinese phones that tout refresh rates and 64 megapixel cameras... Since I use my phone as a "phone" and not just a toy to play games and take pics for Facebook, connectivity IS important.

"Unlocked" means nothing if you cannot find a decent carrier and service.

Most likely because ATT was trying to refarm the older 3G network into 5G / LTE to catch up, TMO likely have a lot of capacity after the merger with Sprint and they can even afford to do 5G home internet with them when ATT couldn't.

If I were you guys I would just switch to TMO and call it a day. Or sell your existing phone on eBay / Swappa and buy another used phone that works on ATT.

Chrome browser recently stopped supporting my dad's old PC running Phenom II X4. It was still fast enough for most things but no longer support SSE4 and it was near 10 years old. I could complain but to be honest I can't fault them. I just switch to using other stuff and / or older browser instead.

Back