LT Wheels Getting Bigger and Bigger and Bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
I think some of you guys missed what the article was trying to get across--the trend for WHEELS getting bigger and bigger. It's not talking about big offroad mudder tires at all.

I see it here in my area in a big way where someone will take a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup or SUV and put ridiculous looking 20" or larger wheels on it with 50 series or lower profile tires.

The thing is, I don't think this trend is limited to light trucks at all. I see it happening on cars too, from grocery-getters to '60s muscle cars. It should be a felony to mount blingy 18" wheels on a '69 Z-28.

Not at all new...Ram 1500s had 20" wheels as factory options more than ten years ago.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/2017...-and-popularity

another excerpt:

Quote:
"That (LT wheel) category has been growing in the U.S. exponentially. I would say we've seen a healthy increase on that probably in the last eight to 10 years," said The Wheel Group's Mr. Podlovits.

"We got four different brands that cater to Jeep and light truck. So we've increased the number of designs significantly, along with fitments as well. "So we've opened up our fitment base to accommodate everything from a stock vehicle to a leveled vehicle all the way up to a lifted truck or what we would consider an extreme-lift, which is where you get to these over-sized wheels of 12- to 14-inches wide and up to 26-inch in diameter," he said.

A 26" wheel on a pickup truck?! Has anyone seen it, on the street?

I saw 28's on an Escalade not long ago.

So proud of my ultra light forged OE 16x6.5 wheels and pizza cutter 235 85 16 on my truck right now. You can actually pick them up and they ride so nice. The steering feels great vs 285 75. The style croud can keep their 37 12.50 20s

Nothing looks more asinine than tard driving a "leveled" truck pulling a boat, or with a load in the box, and the headlights pointing at the tree tops.

My favorite tire ads in the trader;
"Lifted my new truck, no use for stock tires & wheels with only 500 miles on them, best offer takes to get them out of my sight".

Originally Posted By: dareo
So proud of my ultra light forged OE 16x6.5 wheels and pizza cutter 235 85 16 on my truck right now. You can actually pick them up and they ride so nice. The steering feels great vs 285 75. The style croud can keep their 37 12.50 20s

I considered putting 235/85-16 on the F-350 when it got new tires last year. I ended up going with the factory 265/75 just because it was easier to deal with shops and putting on the right size.

I run the pizza cutter 235s on my Jeep.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
I think some of you guys missed what the article was trying to get across--the trend for WHEELS getting bigger and bigger. It's not talking about big offroad mudder tires at all.

I see it here in my area in a big way where someone will take a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup or SUV and put ridiculous looking 20" or larger wheels on it with 50 series or lower profile tires.

The thing is, I don't think this trend is limited to light trucks at all. I see it happening on cars too, from grocery-getters to '60s muscle cars. It should be a felony to mount blingy 18" wheels on a '69 Z-28.

Not at all new...Ram 1500s had 20" wheels as factory options more than ten years ago.

Yes they did. And still do. They look great and function perfectly with the large tires they also fit from the factory. Shorter gears and bigger brakes keep the performance, too.

I also seem to get longer tire life with a larger tire. Just doesn't need to turn as much to go the same mileage.

As for the 35 profile tires on 26 or 28 inch rims, that's not for me. My truck needs to be a truck sometimes...

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I considered putting 235/85-16 on the F-350 when it got new tires last year. I ended up going with the factory 265/75 just because it was easier to deal with shops and putting on the right size.

I run the pizza cutter 235s on my Jeep.

Discount tire didnt even ask about the size change. If they did i was ready. They match the load index of 245 75 LT e tires. They fall more perfectly in the rim width range. They only thing a shop could say is that it offsets the speedometer. Someday i will fix that with an ecu tune. I can feel my truck doing less work steering and moving these tall skinnies. They handle bumps much better than the 285 75 16 steel setup from the previous owner. Losing 20lbs per corner is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back