(LSU) Tiger Rattlesnake

A dweller of the Southwestern US and Northern Mexico. Snakes of the Southeastern US are Eastern Diamondbacks, Cane Breaks (Timber), Cottonmouths, Copperheads, Pygmy Rattlesnakes, and the occasional Coral Snake.

I think snakes are cool, closest I ever came to anything that could cause discomfort was a Copper Head on my next door neighbors lawn some years back. Actually a beautiful snake, it was almost dark and he/she was really in no rush to go anywhere. I took a few photos (will look for it now) and it just took its time slithering away.
Anyway, been here for 16 years and that is the closest I could find anything venomous. We do have a TON of Blacksnakes here and wow they get big, like many, MANY feet long, some years ago I saw one in a large shrub around my house, but I know they are around for sure because I see babies all the time when I cut the lawn they will race away.
Snakes control rodents and insects, they get a bad rap. Venomous ones? keep a safe distance, its not going to chase you down the block like an animal or dog.
Lethal maybe on the OP post, I always imagined them larger than the say. Guess size doesnt matter holds true in this case *LOL*

Found it, I was surprised by how many people who asked if I killed it or people who freaked out. I thought it was cool. I now since have learned in most all cases if the head is arrow shaped stay away. I do at times fear for domestic cats and dogs.

CopperHead 2019.png

Last edited:
Good article, and the reason I would NOT want to live down South, or out West.
Pass the word around, Arizona is far too dangerous. Stay away. It is not just Tiger Rattlesnakes, up in this part of the state we have Mohave Greens, very aggressive and dangerous venom. Also, Gila Monsters, several other kinds of rattlesnakes, scorpions, Black Widows, tarantulas, Mountain Lions, and other dangerous creatures. Did I mention that bubonic plague is endemic here? Play it safe, live somewhere else.

Pass the word around, Arizona is far too dangerous. Stay away. It is not just Tiger Rattlesnakes, up in this part of the state we have Mohave Greens, very aggressive and dangerous venom. Also, Gila Monsters, several other kinds of rattlesnakes, scorpions, Black Widows, tarantulas, Mountain Lions, and other dangerous creatures. Did I mention that bubonic plague is endemic here? Play it safe, live somewhere else.
I like your thinking, I understand completely

I think snakes are cool, closest I ever came to anything that could cause discomfort was a Copper Head on my next door neighbors lawn some years back. Actually a beautiful snake, it was almost dark and he/she was really in no rush to go anywhere. I took a few photos (will look for it now) and it just took its time slithering away.
Anyway, been here for 16 years and that is the closest I could find anything venomous. We do have a TON of Blacksnakes here and wow they get big, like many, MANY feet long, some years ago I saw one in a large shrub around my house, but I know they are around for sure because I see babies all the time when I cut the lawn they will race away.
Snakes control rodents and insects, they get a bad rap. Venomous ones? keep a safe distance, its not going to chase you down the block like an animal or dog.
Lethal maybe on the OP post, I always imagined them larger than the say. Guess size doesnt matter holds true in this case *LOL*

Found it, I was surprised by how many people who asked if I killed it or people who freaked out. I thought it was cool. I now since have learned in most all cases if the head is arrow shaped stay away. I do at times fear for domestic cats and dogs.

View attachment 98094
That's a beautiful snake.

We have this bad boy in Louisiana as well.
I just checked, they are here in SC too. up to 60 inches long and up to (rare) ten pounds *LOL*

We have A LOT of these harmless ones = http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/elaobs.htm

and since you got me interested in this subject again, here is the whole shooting match of Venomous snakes in SC

That's a beautiful snake.
Yeah, I look at the photo and think back, it really is. One other thing is a Copperhead is so unique you dont have to try to figure out what it is, its right in your face.
Fast forward to today, Saturday morning. About a month ago I post a photo on my walkway, others chimed in and I agree Garter Snake, having seen mostly always black rat snakes here I was torn off by the guy, even though they are common. It was about a foot long and there is a photo in here someplace.
Anyway, I thought of your thread as I walked the dog in my backyard, right behind the house a baby snake was in the grass. I can only guess another garter BUT this one was so small I am unsure because the Rat Snakes are very variable in color when they are young.
AS first I thought the markings could be a baby Copper Head but in looking it up, not possible, baby copper head have bright colored tails for the first year.
Anyway, I love walking around my house and finding stuff, late last year it was like a box turtle brigade for some reason they all were coming through my yard. Keep in mind I live in a community but we do have a lot of streams/small ponds that are in unbuildable areas of the community.
This mornings snake, wish I could identify. Including a few photos, one or two magnified. He was only about 10 inches long and 11 at the most, photo might make it look larger.
IMG_7084.jpeg

IMG_7086.jpeg

Back