LSPI Question

I asked this question a few years ago, but a lot of time has gone by and I feel like our understanding of LSPI and its effects have grown quite a bit.

I own a 2nd Generation 2017 Chevrolet Cruze with the 1.4T engine. It's tuned and modified, but nothing too crazy. It's setup to make 4 - 5 PSI more than stock. My car was NOT re-specified for 0w-20, and has been running 5w30 per the owners manual. I run 93 octane fuel, and change every 5000mi. I also own another 2nd Generation Cruze that is bone stock. Same deal, 93 octane and 5000mi intervals.

As you may or may not know the 1.4/1.5T Ecotec engines became a poster child for LSPI and cracked pistons. I also need to stop buying GM cars, but that problem isn't the topic for today.

My question isn't about wear, but what oil that is D1G2 is the best at preventing LSPI? Have we identified any standouts? Are SN+/SP oils all close enough that it's not a big deal? Is the bigger change D1G3 which is on hold last I heard?

Last edited:
You are using one of the best anti-lspi oil formulas. Stick with it, unless you having other issues with Castrol Edge.
Stick with using higher octane fuels.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You are using one of the best anti-lspi oil formulas.

That is how I landed on it, I heard it had lower NOACK and the formula was good for LSPI prevention. That was a few years ago though.

I have been using the pennzoil platinum 5w30

it carries the specific Jeep cert ms-13340 they want for my 2.0T engine.
as well as D1G2, api sn+

My daughter 2012 Cruze had 264000 miles on Castrol EDGE 5w 30 ,till she hit a big buck & that was it . Use what sauce you like .When using an API pcmo what matter most is what kind of shape the oil is after you drain it , not what went in . Try a couple of UAO
then you can see where you stand .

Our 2013 Cruze 1.4T has 135k miles. It's been mainly on M1 EP 5W30 for 6k-7k OCI's and mid grade gas. Changed some of the plastic parts between 80k-110k

Last edited:
Back