LS1 owners with noise using M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil and weight did you switch over to that eliminated the valvetrain noise when using M1 (and what weight M1 did you use)?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Since when does the LS1 have "valvetrain" noise?

I think the LS1 is the noisiest engine I've ever seen.....from valvetrain noise to piston slap to oil pump whinning.....it's got it all!

Metro,
My 02 LS1 makes all the noises mentioned above with M1 5/10W-30, 15W-50, 10W-30/15W-50 mix. I did a piston replacement a few thousand miles ago and the piston and/or valvetrain noise was gone; but it has slowly come back to what it use to be. The last oil I had in it was ST 10W40 (ARX rinse) and it was a bit noisy with it. As soon as I installed M1 15W50, the noise came back instantly. I don't know what is it with M1 and noise.....but something's cooking!

I have the 5.3 Vortec engine in my 99 Chevy Silverado(88K mi) & the "noise" is there at startup. Call it piston slap or lifter noise or whatever, it is the "marbles in a can" noise.

On the GM truck forum, it is attributed to variations in the main rod bearings, rings hitting a carbon buildup in the cylinder or the infamous "piston slap" based on diameter tolerances.

With M1 10W-30, over the colder Wisconsin winter months, the engine was noisy for the 5 seconds at startup & than again at the 1st acceleration after pulling out of the driveway.

I was planning on trying the M1 Truck & SUV 5W-40, but my OCI came up mid-April, before I located a Walmart that stocked the oil. Used Pennzoil 10W-30 HM on shot in the dark & have been very pleased with the results.

I realize this is partially due to the warmer weather, but the engine noise is greatly reduced with Pennzoil HM, which is a thick 10W-30.

I don't know if this is connected to a filter DBV issue, but it almost seems like the M1 10W-30 synthetic drains more out of the engine than other oils.

Started my LS-1 yesterday, first time started since last Christmas Eve. No noise (except exhaust
grin.gif
). Have run Amsoil 5W-30 since my first change from factory oil, not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

My 2002 LS1 has been on M1 10w30 for aewhile now but next oil change GC is going in to see if it helps any with the "diesel" noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back