LS1 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

My brother owns and runs a machine shop and has built himself an LS1 for his Malibu. He has changed out the short skirt pistons for regular 350 Chevy rebuild type and converted it to carburation and replaced that funky water pump set up. But anyway here is the plan. He wants to start it and run it for 100 miles on his favorite 30W break in juice then switch to Amsoil 5W30 and do annual oil changes and biannual filter changes. We will do a UOA at the filter change to see how things are going.

Does this sound like a sound plan? Not the motor the OCI.
smile.gif

Sounds like an excellent plan, Amsoil 5w30 is a great fit for the LS1 engine. Depending on his yearly mileage though, he may not need to do that six month oil filter change though.

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
My brother owns and runs a machine shop and has built himself an LS1 for his Malibu. He has changed out the short skirt pistons for regular 350 Chevy rebuild type and converted it to carburation and replaced that funky water pump set up. But anyway here is the plan. He wants to start it and run it for 100 miles on his favorite 30W break in juice then switch to Amsoil 5W30 and do annual oil changes and biannual filter changes. We will do a UOA at the filter change to see how things are going.

smile.gif

Are you sure this isn't an LT1 350? I didn't know anyone made a carbed intake for the LS1, plus it has a different bore size than a 350 Chevy. The LT1 does have the reverse flow cooling system with the geardriven water pump and front mounted distributor.

The LT1 doesn't use a short skirt piston design though, so it sounds like he is referring to an LS1. The most noticable difference between the two is the fact that the LS1 uses an aluminum block.

quote:

Originally posted by Oldswagon:

quote:

Originally posted by KW:

smile.gif

Are you sure this isn't an LT1 350? I didn't know anyone made a carbed intake for the LS1, plus it has a different bore size than a 350 Chevy. The LT1 does have the reverse flow cooling system with the geardriven water pump and front mounted distributor.

I goofed it's an LT1. I was having a DUH moment I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back