LS1 Camaro GC 5,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
. . . and 19 ppm of iron isn't exactly a sign of impending disaster. It's not as good a result as you'll see from some of those perfectly machined Toyota engines, but what harm do beleive your engine is sustaining???

This report doesn't look that bad to me. 19ppm, it's a Chevy for crying out loud.

Try M1 T&SUV 5w40, imho. With LP and FC.

Yeah 19ppm iron is not to bad but I want perfection!
grin.gif
I'm used to seeing 4ppm iron in my 350 Tahoe engine. My Tahoe's 350 wears lower then most Japanese engines. I use Castrol GTX dino 5w30 in the Tahoe and I don't know why it wears so low but I would think the 5.7 LS1 V8 would do the same as they are "brother" engines. I'll find the right oil soon!

In the couple months I've been working for GM I have yet to see an internal engine problem with any of the LS series V8's (99 and up V8 trucks and Camaro's and Vette's). Lots of engines these days are noisy, just the way they're designing them. My Caprice doesn't have any piston slap when its started in -30c, and its been run without oil and overheated lots of times. People who think all GM's are crap, just flat out don't know. Honda's and Toyota's can have problems too. Let me know when you can buy an import for $200 and drive it 3 winters with less than $300 in repairs put into it over the 3 years, driven 1.5 hours round trip each day.

I work at a GM dealership and also own a LS1 Trans AM. My personal opinion is that the LS1 is a fantastic engine and barely EVER see mechanical problems with them.

On a side note, I just got some M1 T&SUV AND some GC to try out in my baby.

offtopic.gif

quote:

These are excellent choices for the LS1.

One issue you never covered were the driving habits as this is your wife's car. My wife has an 01 Mustang GT. I run MC 5W-20 and it will have significantly higher wear metals in the analysis than other vehicles I see here. I have come to the conclusion that her driving habits are the culprit. She is a teacher and drives only 3 miles to school each day then uses the car for numerous short trips. In the winter the car will do only 4000 miles in the 6 month drain intervals. The engine has a lot of cold starts. Could this be the same with your car?

I had an 01 LS1 camaro ss. It slapped the WORSE after a shutdown/ warm re-start. Brutal clacking. But, never burned a DROP of oil, and even ran faster than a few other stock LS1's i raced (and one with a lid and catback!)

I used M1 0w40 and the cold start didnt have much slap, warm restart was worse.

My Wife's driving habbits are pretty good IMHO. She drives 13 miles to work and a little in town driving then back home. Maybe 50 miles a day with some highway mixed in there. She NEVER red lines it and the most I have seen her go was aprox 4,500 RPM. How does that sound?

Another thing I just remembered was that early GC had aprox 9ppm Iron in it when new. This was early GC so if it had 9ppm Iron could the real Iron wear for this UOA be 10ppm?

quote:

I work at a GM dealership and also own a LS1 Trans AM. My personal opinion is that the LS1 is a fantastic engine and barely EVER see mechanical problems with them.

My LS1 cracked a connecting rod in my 2001 Camaro, which I bought new and maintained well using Castrol Syntec and M-1. These engines are great, underrated and fun, but not indestructable. On a side note, thank *** for extended warrenteys!

You need to get the fuel dilution down in order to see an improvement. May or may not be possible due to short trip driving. Have you done the 30k mile things like check PCV, clean MAF, change air filter and plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back