LS-1 Hypothesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
After careful review of the "Grease" filter study, I realized that over the last two years I have had two of the most restrictive flow oil filters on my LS-1. These were the Mobil-1 and the UPF44. While my UOA's were OK, upon thinking about this, my motor was ticking last fall just before I put it away. This spring, new oil and filter installed last fall just prior to storage, no ticking. I am now wondering if the ticking was the result of a further restricted oil filter due to it being near the end of the oil change period. I understand that the bypass would open, but now wonder if even with bypass the motor was starving with cold motor oil.

Thoughts???

vettenuts,
I don't think you shpould jump to any conclusions too quickly. The Grease filter study only measured oil flow through the filter media, not the entire filter. There is a lot more to oil flow in the filter than just the media. Anyway, wouldn't the LS1 engine come from the factory with an AC Delco filter?

because of the bypass valve you'll never see any real decrease in flow. that valve can flow an awful lot, the one on my LT4 has an orifice that's about the same size as the oil pump outlet!

-michael

[ June 09, 2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Michael SR ]

quote:

because of the bypass valve you'll never see any real decrease in flow. that valve can flow an awful lot, the one on my LT4 has an orifice that's about the same size as the oil pump outlet!

That has been my thoughts all along. I cannot see how a restrictive filter will really starve a small block Chevy. You get a pressure drop over the bypass, but nothing really detrimental, IMO.

Am I wrong?

I have a UPF-44 on my 2002 LS1 for the 1st time and I keep track of it's oil pressure all the time. When I put the UPF-44 on my LS1's oil pressure went down to 35 psi at idle vs. 43 psi using a Napa Gold. My oil pressure has NEVER been that low! I'm going back to the Napa Gold I believe.

It really aggravates the heak out of me to find out after reading all the praise about the UPF-44 on BITOG and then find out all the good words on flow/filtration on the filter were just BUNK!!!! It is hard to trust anything it seems unless it is backed up by real lab testing!

I really thought I found the perfect oil filter with the UPF44. My search continues.
frown.gif

quote:

That has been my thoughts all along. I cannot see how a restrictive filter will really starve a small block Chevy. You get a pressure drop over the bypass, but nothing really detrimental, IMO.

Am I wrong?

That was my original thought, but when the weather cools it seems suspicious that my motor ticks like starving lifters and I am now thinking this corresponds with my use of the UPF44. That coupled with the information such as above on the loss of presssure really makes me wonder if there is a correlation between the two. I plan on installing a Baldwin as soon as I get it, I have lost my confidence in the UPF at this point. Maybe I should donate one to the study.

Yes, but not the UPF44. They came from the factory with the PF44. The UPF44 is the Gold version that was discontinued in most of the models that were available, the "44" was kept due to the uproar from the Corvette community. It is the UPF on the study that is showing low flow, and in several threads owners have stated that they notice a large increase in oil pressure by replacing the UPF44 with another filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back