Loyal M1 guy thinking of moving to GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any negatives with moving to GC in my 2500HD? The last owner was a loyal dealership guy and had the trucks oil changed every 5k with bulk GM oil and Delco filter. I bought the truck with 61K on it and its always had a non ecore Delco filter and M1 5w30 since then. It now has 95k on it and since I work at Advance Auto part time, GC has always been waiving to me saying "try me" The truck burns ZERO oil and I run the OLM from 100% to 0%. Since I work less then 1/4 mile from home the OLM usually kicks off at just over 3K in the winter and just over 5K in the summer. Truck only works hard in the summer as it tows non-stop. Winter time it does nothing. Thoughts? should I just stick with the M1 ? I did run a batch of M1 AFE 0-30 and a M1 filter once and it was a tad lower on OP. Would the GC be the same?

IMO, it wouldn't matter what oil you use when following the OLM.

I have friends who tow across country with 6.0'ls and they use Supertech.

I've been itching to try GC in my Camaro, and have one oil change's worth that I got on sale in my stash. GC is about 10% thicker than M1 AFE, and is also thicker than M1 5w30. You'll probably get the oil pressure back and then some.

I'm running it now thanks to an AAP BOGO sale. I like it but won't run it again mostly due to price. A better oil IMO than just about any readily available over the counter synthetic you'll find. Go for it! Trying new lubes is fun.

GC is a thick 30 with an aging add pack, and recently demoted from being made in Germany with newer Castrol products taking over the German facility. I guess I never was really a fanboy of the stuff, and even less so now. If you want to go thicker with an off-the-shelf oil, M1 0w40 would be the way to do it as its on the thinnish side for 40-weights and is well-proven. But personally, I'd stick with a 5w30 of your choosing. GM v8s have proven that they run forever on the spec'd oils regardless of duty cycle.

Try it....watch consumption and if there is none, you'll never know the difference most likely. I've switched over to M1 in both my vehicles from long-time PP use. No issues so far.

Anyone know what has changed with GC during the past year or two? I haven't used GC since '08.

Originally Posted By: Xtc6k
Anyone know what has changed with GC during the past year or two? I haven't used GC since '08.

Well, for one thing it is no long "GC" but is now "BC", as the 0W-30 Euro formula is made in Belgium. The true German Castrol is the 0W-40 Syntec, which is now made in Germany...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back