Lower oil temps w/GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my first chance to drive the C6 with the new load of GC and notice a definite drop in oil temps. Normally my oil temp is 223 when I drive home from work. Today, it was 216. Nothing else was changed. The traffic was, if anything, a little smoother flowing which would cause the temps to come up a little, higher speeds ya know.

Has anyone else noticed this much of a change in their oil temps?

This is pretty cool but I cannot figure out why GC would be that much cooler than Amsoil 5W-30.

Thanks

Friend noticed the same thing with Amsoil S2k. Just a better built oil. More PAO probably.

Lower temps = better lubrication =
cheers.gif

Or ...just to be mean, lower oil temps mean the oil doesn't pickup the heat as well? No facts just stirring the pot.
crushedcar.gif

My C5 (which has GC in it) seems to run lower oil temps than other C5's I know about. I typically see the oil temp around 195F in traffic on a 70 degree day, or around 207F at 70mph on a 70 degree day. Even after I drove it pretty hard the other day it only got up to 217F.

Switching from M1 0w-40 to SLX 0w-30, I haven't noticed any change in oil temps in my 1.8T. Too bad, cause I'm worried my engine is running too cold (175F in normal driving).

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Switching from M1 0w-40 to SLX 0w-30, I haven't noticed any change in oil temps in my 1.8T. Too bad, cause I'm worried my engine is running too cold (175F in normal driving).

175 is warm enough,remember the oil gete alot hotter as itcirculates through the pump and bearings etc. oil temps are like oil viscosity .the oil should be thick enough to keep the parts seperated but not to thick as to cost extra power.

If you guys will indulge a short story - Part of what originally got me using synthetics was my Dad's experience as technician in charge of maintenance at a power plant. They had big conveyors, driven by big worm gear reducers, that moved coal up to the boilers. A lube salesman gave him some synthetic gear lube (Mobil I think) to try to get him to use it.

Dad then put it in several gear boxes on one conveyor, but not the other. When both conveyors were running side-by-side, you could rest your hand on the syn-lubed gear boxes, but the dino-lubed boxes were too hot to touch.
dunno.gif

He and I both started using syn wherever we could.
Just anectdotal I realize, but we were obviously impressed.

I also think my oil temp in my 1.8T is now running lower with GC.

Prior constant use of thicker 5w40s in my car had yielded recurring coolant leaks by the oil cooler lines next to the oil filter...but since I ran GC for like 200+ miles now the leaks had mysteriously ceased.
confused.gif

Could it be that the 5w40 caused higher temps/exceedingly hotter & higher coolant pressure..thus the leaks?

Whatever it is, GC is really exceeding my expectations..
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back