Low Shear Oil For Short Trips, Long Idles, and a Heavy Foot

2020 F150 5.0L- I drive a lot of short distances, stop and go, idle more than average but not a ridiculous amount. I do get on my truck for fun and because I have to here in South Florida so people don’t cut me off because “they don’t want to be behind a truck” and other reasons…. Anyway, looking for advice on a good oil with what I think would qualify as slightly extreme driving conditions. I have been running 5w30 for the past 2 OCI’s (manual specs 5w20). It obviously gets hot as hell down here and the lowest it gets is in the 40’s. Used to run Motorcraft full synthetic, Castrol edge (black bottle) currently I have Shaffers running but it is expensive and harder to get. My OCI is 5k. I’m leaning toward Maganatec or QSUD. Still learning the ins and out of reports, NOACK and all that stuff. I appreciate your help.

Noack tests the base oil quality, lower number the better. There is a test called HT/HS that is done at 150 c that determines the shear resistance.

Red Line has a very good number. (3.7 HTHS?)

Last edited:
I use Castrol Syntec 5w-30 in my Land Cruiser, every 5k for oil changes. I use my truck HARD, the dunes, it’s loaded with 200lbs of tools and gear 24/7.
Sub zero temps, upper 90’s for summer temps. Pulling my guys and their 15,000 lbs delivery vans out of the ditch…
Long trips on the expressway at 85mph…zero problems.
I have never done a oil sample on my truck, but the oil is still golden when I change it.

I use Castrol Syntec 5w-30 in my Land Cruiser, every 5k for oil changes. I use my truck HARD, the dunes, it’s loaded with 200lbs of tools and gear 24/7.
Sub zero temps, upper 90’s for summer temps. Pulling my guys and their 15,000 lbs delivery vans out of the ditch…
I have never done a oil sample on my truck, but the oil is still golden when I change it.
When you say castrol syntec, I assume that was typo and you meant synthetic, correct? Yeah I’m sure whatever I go with will be fine but due to how we drive I don’t want my oil sheering down of getting to much gas mixed in. Appreciate the help.

Yeah I’m sure whatever I go with will be fine but due to how we drive I don’t want my oil sheering down of getting to much gas mixed in. Appreciate the help.
The longer you run the oil, the more fuel will be mixed in. If this is a major concern, then change your oil more frequently. 5K isn't exactly a short interval.

The longer you run the oil, the more fuel will be mixed in. If this is a major concern, then change your oil more frequently. 5K isn't exactly a short interval.
5k oci is short for full synthetic? Maybe short is not the right word, but I feel like 7,500 is the average. I always thought I was doing it early.

Noack tests the base oil quality, lower number the better. There is a test called HT/HS that is done at 150 c that determines the shear resistance.

Red Line has a very good number. (3.7 HTHS?)

I’ve heard good things about them, that puts in the same situation as now where I can’t just run to a store and pick up a quart of oil if I need it. These 13th gen coyotes love to burn oil. I average maybe 1-2 quarts of top off every 5k miles. Closer to 1 quart.

I’ve heard good things about them, that puts in the same situation as now where I can’t just run to a store and pick up a quart of oil if I need it. These 13th gen coyotes love to burn oil. I average maybe 1-2 quarts of top off every 5k miles. Closer to 1 quart.
Do you have Amazon?

5k oci is short for full synthetic? Maybe short is not the right word, but I feel like 7,500 is the average. I always thought I was doing it early.
Mainstream synthetic oils do not withstand contaminants (e.g. soot from GDI engines, fuel, etc.) any better than conventional oils. If you truly have an issue with fuel dilution, you need to change the oil frequently to remove those contaminants.

My truck probably sees a few 1000 mile trips each year and the rest of the mileage is from being shuffled on the driveway or a 2-3 mile trip to the grocery store. I change my oil every 3K.

I heard of this but I have never seen a oil after 500 miles look golden .

There is a fix for that now I believe

What indication is there that you have a problem with mechanical shear? It’s actually quite rare.
I don’t have any to my knowledge, just something I’m trying to avoid after lurking in here for a while and seeing how certain conditions, driving habits etc can lead to it.

In the FLA heat and your driving style, I think a "thin" 40wt. Euro style oil (xW-40) would fit the bill perfectly. My go to would be Castrol Edge 0W-40, available at any WalterMart for cheap money. Excellent with dilution, low NOACK, and stays closer to grade with hard use. Doesn't sound like you're too worried about MPG either, so something along these lines might protect better for a 5K OCI and fuel dilution. What does the OLM say with what you are doing now? I do know that Ford had done a pretty good job with them as the PUV Explorer I drive at work, with very similar driving style, and MC 5W-20 in the sump, is toast @3K. Did a Testoil sample for fun one time and it concurred.

We use Castrol Edge in various flavors in the Stinger. Current fill is Edge 5W30 EP. My wife drives it daily in a "spirited" manner.
I run Mobil 1 HM 5W20 in my F-150. Pull max load in all seasons (5 ATV's or Jeep on 1800 lb trailer, 10K lbs of dirt, firewood, etc) and doesn't skip a beat. These trucks take about 2 gallons of oil, so with the factory cooler, oil temps are typically kept in check.

Castrol is about $22/jug at Walmart. Buy two and have some top off if needed.

Back