Low Oil Change Problem for my for 2003 Ford F150 4.2L

1. I recently bought 6 quarts of Mobile One High Mileage Oil 5W20 and a Wix 51516XP oil filter (this filter fits).
2. My 2003 Ford F150 4.2L requires 6 quarts of oil with filter.
3. I hired a mechanic to change the oil.
4. I then checked the oil level and the dipstick showed half quart low from the maximum mark and it stayed that way after driving.
5. Every oil change I've had with this mechanic for the last two years has always shown half quart low, but the mechanic never notified me of this.
6. I talked to the mechanic about my oil level low after oil change and all he did was look at me and had no answer.
7. Then I thought my truck was burning or leaking oil after the oil change.
8. I added a half quart of oil and it stayed at maximum mark until next oil change.
9. The mechanic then informed me that he is not obligated to check my oil level because I bought my own oil.
10. He claims he put the 6 quarts in as requested and his responsibility ends there.
11. The mechanic told me to bring in 7 quarts of oil at next oil change.
12. Question, Why is my oil level not up to the maximum mark with six quarts of oil?

Yes, I would definitely drain the oil and determine how many quarts it takes and how it reads on the dipstick. If it holds all 6 quarts with a filter I would not go back to that mechanic. The mechanic should be obligated to check the oil level because some customers may be confused as to how much oil their vehicle should take. Maybe he is keeping about a quart for his own stash.

Yes, I would definitely drain the oil and determine how many quarts it takes and how it reads on the dipstick. If it holds all 6 quarts with a filter I would not go back to that mechanic. The mechanic should be obligated to check the oil level because some customers may be confused as to how much oil their vehicle should take. Maybe he is keeping about a quart for his own stash.
Yes if he did that 6 times a week he'd have free oil changes. Every mechanic is responsible for checking the oil level when he completes a change.

I really doubt he is keeping a quart to short the customer 1/2 quart.

Ford had all kinds of TSB's regarding the accuracy of the dipsticks. It mentioned if you added more oil to take the level to the full mark, it was overfilled. It's likely not the mechanic short changing you.
I have the same issue. The level always showed 1/2 quart low with 6 quarts installed. Easy solution, note the level on the dipstick after an oil change with six quarts installed. Scribe a mark on the dipstick indicating the actual full mark. Quick and easy.

I've noticed on a few different Fords that the listed capacity gets the oil level range into the "safe zone" between the hash marks, but not necessarily full. Your mechanic might be correct in that he just uses the oil/filter you provide and doesn't add more.
My 91 full size Bronco's owners manual said six quarts and every time I changed the oil it ended up smack dab in the middle, even after I started taking it to Zippy Lube.

Last edited:
I was working at a shop chatting with a tech as he finished up an oil change. He poured 5 quarts in, put the cap on and shut the hood. I asked, aren't you going to check the oil? He replied, "You just watched me pour 5 quarts in!"

Couldn't argue with that!

I've noticed on a few different Fords that the listed capacity gets the oil level range into the "safe zone" between the hash marks, but not necessarily full. Your mechanic might be correct in that he just uses the oil/filter you provide and doesn't add more.
Some years before when I did not use my own oil at this mechanic and/or oil change shop the level always came up to maximum mark . I am uncertain as to whether they put in more than 6 quarts.

Back