Low NOACK oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would use Amsoil 10-30 signature series, a real synthetic, changed yearly or 25,000 miles + a filter @ 6 months. even dino group III synthetics of the 10-30 variety would be good but actually be a similar cost as 6 months is only recommended for dino oils + lesser mileage as well

meborder, I live over in Chamberlain. I have a 2009 Town and Country. The Grand Caravan/T&C vans with the 3.8 engine are known to consume oil. I reduced the consumption on my 05 by using synthetic oil. I purchased te 05 new.

The 2009 T&C was using a quart every 1000 miles. I tried using Mobil 1 with no luck. I switched to Pennzoil Ultra and consumption was reduced. Currently, I am at 1 quart in 1800 miles. The one UOA I had done was on the Grand Caravan. It was suggested that a lower noack oil would reduce consumption.

That's what I attribute the drop in consumption to on my T&C. Lower NOACK.

I have a 2006 3.8 Dodge Grand Caravan and I used to use whatever convention oil but for several years have been using Mobil synthetic. I do a yearly OCI (generally about 8,000-10,000 miles) and the most oil I have had to add was two quarts. My wife switched jobs this fall and the van will probably go 12,000 miles if not 15,000.

If it is sticking rings or a sticking tensioner (we don't know that) MMO or Seafoam will do little to break it free, it needs a stronger solvent.
Those product tend to work better on light build up types of deposits, Chemtool is an old product that was long recommended for this usage, the only reason they stopped advertising it for this was customer abuse.

One can at idle for 15-20 min does not mean 2 cans and drive it for x number of miles, but thats what some people were doing.
Used at idle it is perfectly safe. Kreen is another good alternative that you can safely drive with it in the sump.

There is this product also, it is very popular in Europe and has been around for a long time. It works as advertised and is safe but its pricey in the US, the Chemtool works as well for this type of issue.

https://www.protecautocare.com/motor-vehicle-care/engine-flush

Do this only once at idle then run the MMO with a heavier oil (0w40) if you want for an OCI and see what happens. Consumption may actually increase for a short time.
Go back to the 5w30 after that and monitor.

I have used all the product mentioned so many times i cant count over many years and never lost a bearing or had any other problem yet. I buy Kreen 5 gal at a time and use it in the fuel also, it works well on carbon.
If that doesn't take care of the issue the worst thing that happened is your out a few bucks and have a clean engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back