Low mpg after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary Allen, that is the best way to get accurate MPG per every fill up. I attempt to fill up at the same pump every time, but there are sometimes when the place is packed. So I just make sure that I do average as long as I filled up first and last at the same pump.

I second the variation in gas stations. I use ScanGuage so I know how much gas I have left in the tank and how much should go in to make it "full." At my favorite gas station at home I'm usually within .5 gallons to what scanguage thinks I should be.

At stations at work - some gas stations will fill WAY full and some gas stations will click off a full gallon too low.

I've gone from Mobil 1 5w30 (lighter side) to Amsoil's HDD(heavy duty diesel) 5w30 (heavier side) - didn't notice a difference in MPG. Just too many factors (wind, someone pulling in front of you on the freeway, tire PSI, etc...).

I just changed my oil last week and used Castrol GTX 10w30 for the first time. My Jeep has never seen anything but Havoline 10w30 since new, but wal-mart was out of Hav 5 qt jugs. My mpg so far has INCREASED from 20.6 to 21.4 with the Castrol on my 100 mile daily round trip commute. Exact same route, exact same driving style. Anyone know why?

I agree with the others who say 1/2 tank is just too short and too inaccurate.

One thing I was doing was filling to the nearest $0.25. Oddly, when gas went up in price, it "seemed" my fuel economy went down.

Why?

Well, stopping at the nearest $0.25 often put less "extra" gas in the tank from where the pump stopped. If gas costs more, I get less.

So what did I do? I changed my metric to the nearest $0.50 and it "seems" that I get better mileage.

Of course, the long term number is the one that matters, and my 1994 Geo Prizm over the past 86K+ miles has averaged 31.8 MPG from 106K miles to 192K miles on the odometer.

One other thing, when I went from 175/65R14's to 185/65R14's my MPG dropped. Why? Because the odometer recorded fewer miles to go the same distance.

Parkertown,

There was probably some thermal breakdown going on with the Havoline.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back