Low Mileage UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed many here get UOAs on OCIs with less than 4000 miles. What is the purpose of that, and wouldn't the money be spent on oil changes with longer OCI.

I want to see a blackstone printout that just rips the customer a new one. Somewhere along the lines of what were you thinking and "you were a fool to run this oil that long. That TBN count of...wow there wasn't one! Elements detected were consistant with the miracle gro potting soil found at local Home Depot."

People do them early to pat themsevles on the back i guess. Blackstone praises everyone hehe. On gasser turbo apps I WOULD do one at 4k and go from there.

I agree. A big waste.

Minimum should be 5,000 miles. I would like to see more in the 6-10,000 range.

**I would like to see some UOA's under a "1" on the TBN or a big fat zero.

Last edited:
There are dozens of other variables other than mileage.

Also, comparative study and why many of us are here.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
There are dozens of other variables other than mileage.

Also, comparative study and why many of us are here.

Exactly. The point of a UOA is to learn something. Any mileage for a UOA is totally justified if it helps you answer your questions. If you need a shorter mileage UOA to help answer your questions/concerns, do it. If you are either not curious or don't think you need a UOA at all, don't do it. If you think a longer UOA will answer your questions, do that.

For example a person may want to do a shorter UOA if they:

have an engine that is known to destroy oils quickly or has high fuel dilution

wonder how does your oil hold up with different driving patterns or weather change, etc.

have done modifications and want to see how that affects oil life

have a concern that something might be wrong with their engine

enjoy teasing out which oil performs best in their engine

want to see how a change in viscosity affects oil life or other properties

want to see how an additive affects the oil

If you are trying to learn the absolute wear rate of your engine, a single-pass UOA is probably not going to help you unless you have many of your own UOAs to trend, other UOAs from similar units to compare to, and probably expert advice such as Dyson

For me personally I will be doing a 3k Dyson UOA on both of my Land Rovers due to the fact that these engines are known to be very hard on oil and have flat tappet lifters, I want to get the most mileage out of these engines as possible and I don't want to be left stranded in the middle of nowhere out here so I will be checking early, also doing it at 3 k and finding out the oil can go to 6k is much better than finding out you went 6k and the oil was spent at 3k. IMHO

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Blackstone and the other labs successfully maintain a high anxiety level among their customers.

Posters here do the same thing.

I generally ignore UOA posts that are less than 5K stated in the headers.

If I suspect a problem I will do an early one. To help prevent an bigger problem. Especially in my second vechile that it takes too long to run up the miles.

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Blackstone and the other labs successfully maintain a high anxiety level among their customers.

Gotta ensure repeat business, afterall. :)

Originally Posted By: getnpsi
I want to see a blackstone printout that just rips the customer a new one. Somewhere along the lines of what were you thinking and "you were a fool to run this oil that long. That TBN count of...wow there wasn't one! Elements detected were consistant with the miracle gro potting soil found at local Home Depot."

Hahaha this made my afternoon.

+1 for the mechanical concerns. I had a couple done around 3k on my Malibu and fiance's Cobalt. The main reasons were to check for antifreeze leaks before warranties expired.

I sent one in on a maxima with arounk 4k and teh TBN was 1. If I would of waited till 6k the trop artic would have been below the TBN. So for me it worked out and I know the trop artic wont last for an extended time in the maxima.

Originally Posted By: saaber1

And this describes my situation.

I have an 09 Traverse with GM's relatively new DI engine. There is some evidence that this engine is 'hard' on oil and DI engines are known for fuel dilution. And there seems to be very few UOAs for this 3.6L engine for me to view.

I am interested in the wear #s at regular intervals for as this new engine as it matures.

Originally Posted By: saaber1

for me the MS3 Mazda is know for fuel dilution... thats why I did mine at 3k

Originally Posted By: tig1
I have noticed many here get UOAs on OCIs with less than 4000 miles. What is the purpose of that, and wouldn't the money be spent on oil changes with longer OCI.

Some people can't put enough miles on their oil due to short commute and go by time.

I did one (first) right at 4k for a couple of reasons. The first was my engine, 2.5L altima is noted for a pre cat issue which has destroyed some motors. Second I had a mix of severe, short commute and non severe. So, I wanted to be on the safe side.

UOA came back excellent with a recommendation of 5k, so that's what I plan on running fom now on. Not planning on another UOA, for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back