Low Gas Light Indicator Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Corolla with 80,000 miles on it. It was previously owned by a priest who rarely drove it. Due to the high cost of gas at the moment and my financial situation, I find myself driving with the "low gas" light indicator on. Does anyone know how many miles I have left to drive when it comes on? Also, will this hurt my fuel filter? I have poked around online and get different answers. Heck, even the service writer at the Toyota dealership was not sure. Thank You in advance

Due to the high cost of gas at the moment and my financial situation, I find myself driving with the "low gas" light indicator on.
How much do they charge for a service call to deliver gas if you "miscalculate" range or for a tow if you fry the pump? If you don't have $10 bucks to your name to add gas with, maybe car ownership isn't for you at this time.

Set one of your trip odometers to zero when you fill up. Check owner's manual for gas tank capacity. With your average gas mileage which you should know by now calculate your remaining distance to empty. Simple

You can buy a lot of gas for the cost of a fuel pump replacement and keeping the tank empty is asking for fuel seperation. The less gas the more humid air to condense and the less water it takes to load the ethanol.

The 2005 Corolla has a 13.2 US gallon size Fuel tank. The Fuel warning light will illuminate when you have approximately 2-3 gallons remaining. Depending on your driving style, you can comfortably expect 40-50 miles……

The Service Writer is just that, NOT a Mechanic, the fuel pump can be damaged, the pump gets cooled by the constant return flow of gas. the fuel filter is a possible issue, and can get clogged starving the pump of gas

The 2005 Corolla has a 13.2 US gallon size Fuel tank. The Fuel warning light will illuminate when you have approximately 2-3 gallons remaining. Depending on your driving style, you can comfortably expect 40-50 miles……
Thanks. I think when the light comes on, I will consider I have 30 miles left to get gas. If I run out, I do have AAA service but I assume they charge you for the gas when your stranded.

Thanks. I think when the light comes on, I will consider I have 30 miles left to get gas. If I run out, I do have AAA service but I assume they charge you for the gas when your stranded.
Like others have said, its probably not in your best interest to make a habit of driving with the fuel light signally your requirement to fuel up, but that’s a decision for you to make…..
Hope I helped.

How much do they charge for a service call to deliver gas if you "miscalculate" range or for a tow if you fry the pump? If you don't have $10 bucks to your name to add gas with, maybe car ownership isn't for you at this time.
Perhaps, you have a few bucks I could borrow? I'm going through a real tough time due to the epidemic. I have a Venmo account that accepts donations.

They will charge you a lot more to deliver that gas to you than you can buy at the pump. If you are that broke then you cannot afford to drive right now.

They will charge you a lot more to deliver that gas to you than you can buy at the pump. If you are that broke then you cannot afford to drive right now.
Yeah I think this thread is a lost cause or trolling. If you're at the point of not being able to keep the low fuel warning off, what do you do when you get a flat tire that can't be repaired? There's absolutely nothing to be gained by running on empty all the time, all OP is doing is adding risk to a precarious situation.

I remember around 2008 or something gas got to well over $4 a gallon? Gas prices right now don't even seem that bad. I understand sometimes every penny counts, but you're literally risking a much more expensive situation for no gain.

Yeah I think this thread is a lost cause or trolling. If you're at the point of not being able to keep the low fuel warning off, what do you do when you get a flat tire that can't be repaired?
I'm not trolling. But I have slowly realized that the average of a poster here is 68yrs old. Do ya'll ever accept the fact that young people have honest questions and not as much wealth?

I've been a long time member of AAA. I get, at least, 2 towing per year. They are supposed to bring me 2 gallons of gas per incident.

Yeah I think this thread is a lost cause or trolling. If you're at the point of not being able to keep the low fuel warning off, what do you do when you get a flat tire that can't be repaired?
I'm not trolling. But I have slowly realized that the average of a poster here is 68yrs old. Do ya'll ever accept the fact that young people have honest questions and not as much wealth?

That’s because wealth is earned over a lifetime.

There are tons of jobs out there. Companies are crying for workers.

It costs no more money to drive the car from 1/2 tank to 1/4 tank, than it does to drive it from 1/4 tank to empty. Except that running towards empty has these issues ...
1) stranding you at an inconvenient time
2) possibly frying the fuel pump, because the fuel cools the pump
3) likely causing a service call

Money is tight; you mentioned that and we're not making light of your situation. But seriously, it does not cost any more money to drive it with more fuel on board. Yes - you will have to pay to get it up to 1/2 tank, but once there, your "operational costs" are simply a factor of how far you drive and how agressive or easy you are on the pedal. In theory, you're hauling perhaps another 70 lbs of fuel and that does in a super-tiny fractional manner make a different in fuel economy, but it's truly a pittance.

Once the light comes on, put fuel in it. The risks far outweigh your perceived benefit of squeezing the last drop from the tank. The ONLY time this would make sense is if you were going to sell or trade it, and you wanted the vaule of every last drop of gas. Presuming you're keeping the car, you are much better off just staying out of the yellow-fuel-light range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back